Best SFX PSU - Corsair or Silverstone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bencho

2[H]4U
Hello!

I'm currently running a Silverstone SF500-LG in an nCase M1. Space is rather tight and I've been waiting for some definitive reviews on the new Corsair SF600. Unfortunately, it still seems like the SF600 has similar issues to the Silverstone SX600-G - fan noise, fan not stopping, coil whine, etc.

Can I get some chime in on the overall sentiments for the SF600? Is it worth picking one up and rouletting a good unit? Or should i just stick with my SF500-L for now? Mine is quiet and works like a charm, but I'd love to free up a bit of space.

Thank you!

benCho

I went from the Silverstone SF 500W (SX500LG) to the 600W (SX600-G). While my 500W unit was a bit loud under heavy load, it didn't really bother me - my main reason for the switched was for more headroom for a GPU upgrade. I haven't experienced any noise issues with the 600W, and I'm pretty surprised to see that it's actually smaller than the 500W unit (the fan is a bit ugly but it's a PSU). I have a v1.1 unit, which might mean that they fixed some of the noise issues.

The extra space from the smaller SF600 might help with cable management, but besides that, if your build is set, I probably wouldn't switch.

I also just got the ncase m1 and it's definitely a tight case. I have dual AIO water coolers installed and I don't think I would have been able to do it if I had the bigger 500W unit.

Hello!

I'm currently running a Silverstone SF500-LG in an nCase M1. Space is rather tight and I've been waiting for some definitive reviews on the new Corsair SF600. Unfortunately, it still seems like the SF600 has similar issues to the Silverstone SX600-G - fan noise, fan not stopping, coil whine, etc.

Can I get some chime in on the overall sentiments for the SF600? Is it worth picking one up and rouletting a good unit? Or should i just stick with my SF500-L for now? Mine is quiet and works like a charm, but I'd love to free up a bit of space.

Thank you!

benCho

If something works well and is "quiet" is the space worth $119?

Potentially. (I'm trying not to factor in cost)

I'm crammed and the box runs hot because of the (2) 4TB Blacks and ,also, every bit helps in packing the cables away. Ideally 4TB SSDs become a thing at a reasonable price so I can swap out the HDDs but that will be quite some time.
Anyway, if there aren't any substantial reports of the SF600 being solid and less subject to the other SFX form factor PSUs, then I won't try one~

Potentially. (I'm trying not to factor in cost)

That is the question you are asking though; is the space worth $119. Even if a unit is the best thing since sliced bread, $119 versus already owned is a tough economic argument to make. The key is, simply, how much is that extra real estate worth and no one can answer that for you. Only you know the answer. If you were buying new and owned nothing then there would be a different answer perhaps.

Paul_Johnson - I'm going to close this thread now. I opened this to start a discussion on the new competition to the Silverstone SFX PSUs to gather information from the community about their experiences on the Corsair SFxxx units.

I was very prudent in my responses to your inquiry about costs. I did not want to come across as pretentious by stating that the cost of this specific change in hardware is of no concern to me if the general responses from the community was overly positive. However, given the next post, I regret my decision to continue this thread. My goal was to weigh responses and make a decision from there as it is unnecessary and wasteful if the immediate responses report negative experiences.

I do not appreciate having my initial question under fire for masquerading as a question of cost. The goal was to discuss user experience to help me make a decision
  • If the responses are positive - great I'll go buy a unit and get the space I want
  • If the responses are negative - I won't buy the unit and deal with it until another SFX option becomes available
  • If the responses are mixed - I'll flip a coin to see if I want to take a risk

Well, when you ask an open ended question you don't always get the response you think you are going to get when you started the quetion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back