Best setup for dual core + GPU?

BassTek

Supreme [H]ardness
I just got my first dual core chip for my SFF gaming PC and was wondering what people are running on them client wise. The chip is a mildly overclocked 8400 at 3.6ghz running Vista 64. I think it could handle 1 smp plus 1 gpu but other posts on other forums seem to think not.

Also if I add another GPU would I even want to add a CPU client? I think Vista might be able to handle 2 GPU and 1 single core console client, but I could be wrong.

im running a dual core athlon x2 6400+ with gpu client only.. for some reason running both clients cpu and gpu my system lags like hell.. and has spurts of not responding.. but theres no way for you to run 2 gpu clients and 1 cpu client because each gpu client will use a core to its self.. so with dual core that wouldnt be possible.. id say stick with gpu clients for one main reason and that is points.. you get way more points with gpu folding then you do cpu folding.. but thats just my opinion..

Are you running ATI cards or nVidia ??

ATI cards needs one core per card.

nVidia cards only need 15-20% of a core per card, so even under XP which records one client at 100% load, its possible to run upto 4 GPU clients per core without loosing points.

What I've found is that, I cannot run a GPU client and a CPU client on the same core without loosing points.
But this is under XP not Vista.

Luck ............. :D

Tigerbiten is right about things working better on Vista than XP.
I have a slower set up than you and it works fine (Vista 64)
[email protected] GHz 1500 ppd win SMP (p3605)
8800GT 5057 ppd (p5014) shaders are around 1800 (can't remember at the moment)
2 Gig ram, 1HD, 1DVDRW, 550watt ps
6557 ppd at 239 watts is about 27ppw

The machine is also responsive while folding so it is used for other things. At 3.6GHz you should do well!

Thanks for the replies. I tried SMP + GPU last night and it seemed to go well. SMP with 2653 was putting out about 1500 PPD and the GPU was at 5700 PPD. It's an Nvidia card so it doesn't take up much CPU. I'll re-evaluate things if/when I get a second GPU in the box but that probably won't happen for another month or two.

Back