Best real time backup solution

bleomycin

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to find the best affordable real-time backup software for a desktop (win7). I'm looking to backup to a local NAS, not interested in cloud solutions. I ran crashplan for about a year to my NAS just fine, but their restore process is insane! They force you to restore any data you need and then delete the entire backup before allowing you to continue with a new one! I never want to delete that backup i could have easily forgotten something from it.

I installed Genie timeline pro 2012 and during the initial backup it's service crashed at least 15 times so that's a no-go out of the gate which is disappointing because the feature-set on paper was perfect. Is anyone aware of any other solutions that do continuous backup, file versioning, and would be nice to have bare metal restore as well but it's not required. For now i'm just sticking with built-in windows backup but i'm not super excited about it. Thanks!

Thank you! That does seem interesting, i'll have to try and find some feedback before installing. I've had issues with these backup programs installing too much crap in the past and filling event viewer with all kinds of horrible errors, crashplan and genie both seemed guilty of that :(

I ran crashplan for about a year to my NAS just fine, but their restore process is insane! They force you to restore any data you need and then delete the entire backup before allowing you to continue with a new one! I never want to delete that backup i could have easily forgotten something from it.

That doesn't make any sense at all. I don't see that behavior mentioned in their FAQ on restoring files. This isn't some sort of misunderstanding about what the program was asking you to do? I'm only asking because I can't imagine it would really be set up that way.

Genie timeline works fine on my machine, have you contacted their support regarding your issue? I've contacted them a couple of times they were very helpful. And to backup online I use backbalze much better than crashplan.

That doesn't make any sense at all. I don't see that behavior mentioned in their FAQ on restoring files. This isn't some sort of misunderstanding about what the program was asking you to do? I'm only asking because I can't imagine it would really be set up that way.

If you're just restoring files from the same system that have been backed up everything is great, the problems arise if you've just formatted or are on a new system, they will let you mount the "old" backup file but it has to be deleted before they allow you to start backing up the "new" system. This means you have to either restore everything some place random, or to it's original location if you don't want to risk deleting something you forgot about. I backup my entire system drive just to be safe and definitely don't want the entire thing restored after a format.

Genie timeline works fine on my machine, have you contacted their support regarding your issue? I've contacted them a couple of times they were very helpful. And to backup online I use backbalze much better than crashplan.

I submitted a ticket with debug logs and an email but haven't heard anything back in about 4 days now. It's looking like overall crashplan is the best option if you want dedup and realtime backup, just have to live with restoring the full backup someplace for safe keeping every time i format. Acronis looks decent on paper but seems like it really entrenches itself deep into windows which i'm not too excited about.

storagecraft shadowprotect is for serious local backup. I'll leave it up to you to guess why it wasnt mentioned sooner

+1 for shadowprotect. Storagecraft makes some serious software. We use it with all of our support clients and it's saved my ass a number of times. I barely notice it running and the compression is fantastic. Shoot them an email and see if you can get your hands on an eval copy =)

Back