Best PostgreSQL Tutorial

King of Heroes

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for a good tutorial/introduction to PostgreSQL that is fairly recent. I've heard of some good ones but they tend to be around 10 years old. So far the only really recent tutorial I've found is the official one here. Is this my best bet or are there other/better resources that I can leverage?

I suppose it'd also be helpful to ask what exactly you plan to be doing with it. Are you trying to install it, set it up and manage it, so that you can point an existing application (like some kind of web software) at it? Are you trying to load data into it and query the data out of it?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that which tutorials you find valuable will probably be dependent upon what kind of perspective you're trying to take. What are you actually trying to do with PostgreSQL?

What does "best" mean to you? Most recent?

Yes, most recent. It seems like most PostgreSQL tutorials I find are based on version 8 rather than 9. Now, I can't say how much of a difference that actually makes, but I figure a version 9 one would be more relevant.

I suppose it'd also be helpful to ask what exactly you plan to be doing with it. Are you trying to install it, set it up and manage it, so that you can point an existing application (like some kind of web software) at it? Are you trying to load data into it and query the data out of it?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that which tutorials you find valuable will probably be dependent upon what kind of perspective you're trying to take. What are you actually trying to do with PostgreSQL?

I want to install it, set it up, manage it, and make it the primary relational store for a web site (which will slowly evolve into a web application as I learn) I am building (using the Django Framework, if that matters at all). I have no initial data to load into it right now.

Seems like you can get what you want even from the older tutorials. There's been a bunch of features added between 8.x and 9.x, but none of them are too invasive and you're unlikely to need or encounter them. If you do, then you can read up on them once you've built baseline familiarity with the product from the tutorials.

Back