best php framework?

mxpxrulzz

[H]ard|Gawd
So i'm pretty fed up with doing everything from scratch and am looking to start taking advantage of one of these frameworks floating around.

So far I am looking at cake, symphony, and code-igniter.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking for someting that is

lighweight
quick learning curve
secure (duh)
good documentation is always a plus

i'm not a big fan of frameworks myself, i always seem to bump into a situation where it'll take way more effort to bend the framework to fit my needs than to just write it myself. With that being said, I really liked Cake because it was the only one I could pick up on right away.

The only two I care for at all are symfony and the Zend framework. I like the Zend framework because I can use my own parts easier. For instance I've been using the Doctrine ORM layer and while it's planned for future symfony versions, I don't think it's there yet.

There was a guy at CodeMash from Zend pitching the Zend framework and it seemed like a potentially cool framework to work with.

In the end, my day job we have this mash of framework stuff. It has the yaml parsing and routes parts from symfony, doctrine on the data layer, our own view layer, and a bunch of custom glue parts holding things together.

... For instance I've been using the Doctrine ORM layer and while it's planned for future symfony versions, I don't think it's there yet...

off topic, sorry :)
less than halfway through the definitive guide to symfony, was just wondering if anyone had a quick-n-dirty difference between propel and doctrine ORMs (like, why one would prefer one over the other), I see several doctrine plugins for symfony, also one for propel v1.3beta (supposedly performance improvements galore)

if not, I'll eventually read up on them anyway

I'm a fan of cakephp. With scaffolding and mvc you can get a CRUD website working as soon as you finish the database design

Back