Best options for off contract Verizon phone?

Gorilla

Supreme [H]ardness
My contract with Verizon ended in January, but I don't want to give up unlimited data by renewing (plus I'm the only one out of five on my family's plan that has data and wants data). My galaxy nexus is on its last legs (the other day it wouldn't even turn on) and it now turns off if it takes any shock (walking with it in my pocket is enough to turn it off). I can't afford to spend more than around $300. I've looked at swappa.com and that seems like a viable option for a used phone. At the same time though, a used phone from swappa seems to cost around the same as a new Moto X. I've noticed that the Moto X is in my price range and seems like a decent phone, at least compared to the crap that I have now.

Are there any other similarly budget friendly off contract phones that I should be considering? It's a shame that the nexus line isn't an option for verizon users.

It's been over two years since I've paid any attention to phones at all, so any input is appreciated.

You should be able to get a Galaxy S3 for less than that. Probably $200-$250. Granted, it is 2 years old now, but mine is going strong, and I have no reason to upgrade it. I've been off contract since last July, so I will be running this gamut in the next year or so.

Moto X is definitely one of the best if not the best phone of 2013. Moto X+1 (the sequel) is supposed to come out in a month or two. I dunno if you could wait for that. Price will most likely be the same as the Moto X now, with the Moto X itself dropping $50-100.

You should be able to get a Galaxy S3 for less than that. Probably $200-$250. Granted, it is 2 years old now, but mine is going strong, and I have no reason to upgrade it. I've been off contract since last July, so I will be running this gamut in the next year or so.

I looked at them. My concern isn't so much that the tech is 2 years old, but that I might be buying a phone that someone has used for two years. I'm assuming that there isn't a source for getting a new S3 at that price.

Moto X is definitely one of the best if not the best phone of 2013. Moto X+1 (the sequel) is supposed to come out in a month or two. I dunno if you could wait for that. Price will most likely be the same as the Moto X now, with the Moto X itself dropping $50-100.

Sweet. I had wondered whether there was a sequel to the Moto X coming but hadn't found anything. Waiting will be tough as I hate my phone right now. Seriously, I get a message and just picking the stupid thing up is enough of a shock to turn it off. I absolutely have to have a new phone by the end of July as I will be traveling in Alaska and my phone will be my only means of accessing the internet.

There's a couple way to upgrade still on-contract and keep unlimited data while also extending your contract to ensure you keep your unlimited data. I've done it twice since I had my Gnex, I couldn't imagine still being on that phone, lol. It wasn't too bad though other than battery life and signal issues.

If you're one of five lines on the account, then you probably have a tiered data line on the account that you can transfer the upgrade to. If that's the case, just log into Verizon's website, transfer your upgrade to one of the tiered data lines, and order the new phone at the subsidized price. When the phone arrives, just take your current SIM card (you may need to cut it if the new phone uses a nano-SIM, I had to for my new One M8) and put it in the new phone, then you're good to go! You pretty much have to do this through their web site, because no reps in the B&M stores will allow or even acknowledge that this is an option, at least in my experience in asking them several times at different locations.

If you don't happen to have a tiered data line to transfer the upgrade to or no one else wants to lose their unlimited data (which I doubt they're still on if they're upgrading phones), then you can buy it through Best Buy and keep your current plan. It seems 90% of the people on the thread linked in the OP there have had success, but I noted that there were a couple people that lost their unlimited data and had to return the phone to get it back. But one of those guys tried it again and it worked the 2nd time. Might be a PITA, bit still worth a try, IMO.

Last edited:
just got a mint note 3 on swappa for 425 came with original box, charger, cable, manuals and the box was pretty new UAG case too you could get a gs4 for about 300 if you negotiate there are a bunch of s4 on there right now for 310-350 in mint condition they have the lg g2 on there for 270 to start...
and lots of mint s3 on there with accessories

I say jump on either a g2 or s4 or note 2 or if you like the moto x here is a mint one for 270 with case and screen prots http://swappa.com/listing/PKU470/view

you can also check the fs/ft here i bought my s3 from there about 2 years ago... for 370

Last edited:
there's actually a lot of Verizon S4's for under $300 at swappa.
I just picked up an S5 for $480 off there.

If you have unlimited data and want subscription-less WIFI tether you have to be selective with your choices. Ideal is bootloader unlocked and root capable phone or one that works with Foxfi without root so LG G2, Galaxy Note II, S4, etc. for ~<=$300.

Back