Best Open Headphones for $200?

Knil

Limp Gawd
I was looking to pick up some open headphones for games, music, and movies. I also do a lot of voice chat so an integrated mic is bonus points, but I can always attach a mod mic (Headset normally are crappy audio quality). What do you guys recommend for around the $200 range? I'm willing to stretch my budget a bit higher if there is something great out there above that price point.

Stay away from anything Corsair. Nothing but problems for me. Not that they're really a top contender in the headphone market anyway...

Open can...it is hard to beat a pair of used HD555s and mod them into HD595s (it is a 5 minute mode with minimal tools/skill, videos are on YouTube). For $60USD (used are even listed on Amazon at that price) you'll need to spend a fair chunk more than $200 to beat them.

Philips Fidelio X1

That is a bit more than $200 atm?

Anyway, the Sennheiser series is what you want in this case. I have no issues with my 558.

Compared to my speakers though, any headphone kind of pales in comparison. I just have them bc I am married. lol

I use Corsair Vengeance 2000. I game exclusively with headphones. Are a good pair of cans, even with onboard audio, that much of an improvement? I've had my eyes on the Philips Fidelio X1's in particular.

HD 558/598 are nice might even be able to find a deal on a used pair of HD 600's in your price range which would be awesome.
ATH-AD900x would be something else to check out.
If you're willing to stretch a bit, I've seen HE-400's as low as $250, worth a look if you have ever been interested in planar drivers...

I too really want to try a pair of the Fidelio X1's, but I missed the $150 sale on them and haven't seen them near that price since.

Hd598s are excellent. They sound good and are non-fatiguing, more so than many more expensive cans. I think they're probably the most comfortable headphones on the market.

How does HD 558 compare to HD 598? (598 look hideous imo)

I'm also pretty interested in the DT990.

There's also the DT880 Pro if you want something more neutral. The DT990 has exaggerated highs and lows.

There's also the DT880 Pro if you want something more neutral. The DT990 has exaggerated highs and lows.

Yup. I love Beyers but they do clamp a bit. Also, they are more for specific types of sound.

The Sennheisers are the best at doing it all at this price point.

Ended up picking up the HD 558 with a mod mic, thanks for the recommendation guys! Will most likely be doing the mod, since it seems so simple.

Last edited:
Ended up picking up the HD 558 with a mod mic, thanks for the recommendation guys! Will most likely be doing the mod, since it seems so simple.

I initially took all the foam out of my HD558's, but they seemed to get a bit tinny up top, so I ultimately ended up keeping some foam but paring it down to about 1/3 it's original size which struck the perfect balance for me personally. Which isn't to say that's what you should do...only that if you're going to mod, don't blindly adhere to someone else's instructions, experiment for yourself!

Fidelio X1s are perhaps the best sub $200 headphones. They often drop below $200 so keep an eye out for them.

I don't know much about high end audio, but the headphones I have had my eye on around this price are the AKG Q701s. Any outstanding reasons those weren't mentioned? They seem to have good reviews.

I don't know much about high end audio, but the headphones I have had my eye on around this price are the AKG Q701s. Any outstanding reasons those weren't mentioned? They seem to have good reviews.

These are GREAT headphones for the price. A few things to keep in mind. They need proper amplification and they have an almost artificially large soundstage, so if you don't like that it might not be for you. Also these are not bass heavy headphones. They are very capable with proper amping and sourcing. As a gaming headphone on a onboard sound card I would advice against them. Also they are sibilant without a proper amp. But when you do use them on proper gear you get world class sound, extremely transparent and brilliant imaging.

Anyway, the Sennheiser series is what you want in this case. I have no issues with my 558.

Compared to my speakers though, any headphone kind of pales in comparison. I just have them bc I am married. lol

By $32. NOTHING in that price range comes even close. Check Amazon as they do sales of it for $200 now and again.

These are GREAT headphones for the price. A few things to keep in mind. They need proper amplification and they have an almost artificially large soundstage, so if you don't like that it might not be for you. Also these are not bass heavy headphones. They are very capable with proper amping and sourcing. As a gaming headphone on a onboard sound card I would advice against them. Also they are sibilant without a proper amp. But when you do use them on proper gear you get world class sound, extremely transparent and brilliant imaging.

That is the problem with the 701's though , its a well priced can but it requires a serious amp to get the most of them and if you even remotely like bass then you should pass because these are entirely about detail. For gaming few headphones are better for positioning ques though.

I wouldn't recommend the 701's to anyone but those with an already fleshed out setup. Meanwhile the Philips X1 sound great on everything from your phone to your PC thanks to the very casual power requirements.

Fidelio X1 is a fantastic choice.

I would highly recommend avoiding anything that requires an amp, like the AKG 701. Once you cross that threshold you're financially doomed forever.

Fidelio X1 is a fantastic choice.

I would highly recommend avoiding anything that requires an amp, like the AKG 701. Once you cross that threshold you're financially doomed forever.

Its worth investing in a good setup though if you enjoy the higher end headphone market. Its not like you have to invest thousands of dollars. $200 setup from Schiit from the form of Magni/Modi will run just about anything and run it well.

Its worth investing in a good setup though if you enjoy the higher end headphone market. Its not like you have to invest thousands of dollars. $200 setup from Schiit from the form of Magni/Modi will run just about anything and run it well.

Agreed. But I could argue that my Stax setup was absolutely worth the investment. I'm just hoping the OP can find a nice set of cans in his budget and be done with it. The less he knows about the depths of the high-end headphone subculture, the better for his financial situation. It all starts with a post like his and it's a slippery slope. :)

Agreed. But I could argue that my Stax setup was absolutely worth the investment. I'm just hoping the OP can find a nice set of cans in his budget and be done with it. The less he knows about the depths of the high-end headphone subculture, the better for his financial situation. It all starts with a post like his and it's a slippery slope. :)

If you can afford Stax then of course :cool:

But most mortals can't spend the kind of money that could net you a pretty nice used car on Stax headphones and a real amp.

I almost got some Stax about a month ago but I just can't bring myself to spend more than what I did on my HD800's ($1300).

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm. I just picked up a pair for an absolute STEAL ($129). You can occasionally find them in the $200 range, so keep an eye out. If you want them now, they usually go for around $249.

I've got to ask, what speakers?

Agree with spaceman, he and others steered me towards the 558's and I love them.

Back