Best Laptop for college engineering ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin01

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, wow, let me start off by saying that I am very impressed with this site, and I plan on using it in the future as a tremendous resource. I spent the last like 2 hours reading this site, and it has given me a dramatically new perspective.

Now, to the question: I am an incoming college student into an engineering program. I don’t know very much about computers but I survive. I was going to coast the Apple laptop student deal (free ipod etc), but apparently (because I am going into engineering specifically (I do not know what type of engineering yet)) I will not be able to use an apple due to incompatibility issues with engineering software.

(The computer must be a laptop)

I am a gamer, but not a hardcore gamer, I play casually, but still high end games such as World of Warcraft and the like. I don’t plan to have gaming be a big influence in my college life however (but I still think it will be present). As I understand it the programs I may be using as an engineering major will be demanding on the computer. (So it should still be outfitted with great graphics, video (audio if possible to remain in price range)

I was almost convinced I was getting a high end alienware laptop, until I came here and got shell shocked, haha. With building my own computer out of the question, is dell my next best bet? Please, help me out guys, my parents are pressuring me very intensely to find my college computer, I have been researching for like 3 days strait, and I'm going to snap.

I am allowed to spend $2,500 on this laptop (however an extra hundred or so is ok due to little extra things adding up over time)

Help me guys, I beg of you please! =)

PS: (I was looking into the Area-51m 7700 (LAN party leader), and downgrading it a little in the specks, or the Area-51m 7700(ultimate performance), and upgrading it a little in the specks in order max my budget), just an example of the information I had been provided thus far. http://www.alienware.com/product_pa...aming.aspx?cs=1 )
If you guys think the new Dell laptops are better, pleace tell me, i really need help here

I would like this to replace my desktop, but remember im not super good wtih computers so me saying htat doestn me i need a 40 pound laptop, it means 12 pounds is enough lol. I would like some battery life for my classes if i bring it to them, and so i can maybe hang around unconnected for a while. Please help me, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back