Best Joysitck for BF2?

jacuzz1

Supreme [H]ardness
Been awhile since i used a Joy stick but I suspect it will lend itself to flight operations. Anyone have any recomendations.

I used to use the MS Sidwinder series. Logitech better? My birtday is coming up and my kids want to "cough" buy me one.

Are the wireless ones any good?

I always felt that the mouse/keyboard was the best way to pilot. I don't know. Sorry.

Thats the way i have always thought but when i ask the pilots that own me they say its do to the joystick advantage

When I used my EVO for the two weeks that I had BF2....it made flying planes a heck of a lot easier. For flying Heloes I kept to the keyboard.

Saitek EVO is what I have, and is fully adjustable, buttons and all....they also have a wireless one, that I know a few members here have.

I sold BF2, since I couldn't take the junk code anymore, and now my evo sits unused.

Saitek is very good for midrange joysticks. I plan on getting one this weekend, the EVO is the one I'm looking at (not the wireless or force versions).

Link.

I use my sidewinder FF 2 for planes and helis.

does the job for me

now all I need is to improve my piloting abilities.

Logitech Extreme 3D pro-- has the rudder control, makes flying helicopters a lot easier and flying airplanes is easier also.. the stick has a whole slew of buttons, too, so it's easier to assign other functions so you don't need to use the keyboard as much while piloting.

m0unds said:
Logitech Extreme 3D pro-- has the rudder control, makes flying helicopters a lot easier and flying airplanes is easier also.. the stick has a whole slew of buttons, too, so it's easier to assign other functions so you don't need to use the keyboard as much while piloting.
You can set the rudder controls to the twist action on the joystick (if it has it), should be a good setup w/o actual rudder pedals. With a decent joystick (throttle, twist, and ~6 buttons) you shouldn't need a keyboard at all to fly either helos or planes.

edit: where are the rudder controls on that joystick?
link.

If they haven't fixed the problem, I'd be wary of the Extreme 3D Pro. The one I had developed a quirky left-lean after about a month of using it. I looked online and found a ton of other complaints about the problem. If I recall, even tinkering with sensitivity/dead zone didn't help much.

They mighta fixed this, though, since it was a year or two ago. At any rate, I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo now but haven't used it enough to really be able to comment about it. At least it's sorta adjustable... but why they have the nice blue LED "Evo" on top of the stick with fugly red LED for the buttons on the base is beyond me.

m0unds said:

QFT! love my 3d extreme pro. but as another poster said it develops a left lean to it, mine was purcahsed oh, less than 6 months ago....maybe longer, but mine tends to lean to the right. a quick calibration in control panel takes care of it, and ive only had to do this ONCE. buit the joystick rocks.

Yeah, it's been 2 years since it was released. I had a M$ sidewinder precision 2-- but it has a metal base. which isn't necessarily a bad thing, until you couple my environmental conditions (low humidity, high static potential) with said metal base. the stick would stop working, and i'd have to plug it into and unplug it over and over into a disconnected soundcard breakout box and then it would SOMETIMES work. (static discharge)

at any rate, i've had the extreme3d since.... uhh..sometime early last year, and with heavy use: BF1942, DC, BF:V and BF2 + Falcon, Freespace 2 and some other stuff, it's been a-ok..only one calibration was necessary after I plugged it in the first time. Perfect experience for me, anyway. sorry to hear yours had trouble :/

and rudder control: twist. i didn't mean rudder control pedals, as i would have said pedals, but the twist of the handle acts as a rudder in most flight sims with little ill effect. the throttle is an optically-sensed deal. it's fine for casual play, but it's not a thrustmaster, obviously :)

I have decided to try the 3d pro force feedback. Should be intresting taking flac lol :D

Not sure if it does, but if it does not , i still have a sturdy device wtih the option should the opportunity arise. :D

I have the logitech cordless freedom, first of all while in use there is no lag with the joystick at all and it works wonderfully. The only problem with the cordless is that it goes into sleep mode after not being used for a minute or two. Which means you have to press a button on it and wait for 2 seconds or so while it connects.

In BF2 this is a problem because if you are playing on the ground, and then go hop in a helo. If you forget about clicking a button on the joystick (throttle wont do it) then you helo will lift off the ground, and flip upside down while you are flailing helplessly wondering why you cant control it.

This isn't a problem for me anymore because now I am used to always pressing the trigger on the joystick as I run towards a plane or helo.

Back