Best HSF Combo to use, everyone post opinion.

sucidalpikal

Weaksauce
I may not be a big poster and I may not have been in the [H] for a long time. But I have noticed a lot of the same questions. One is also whats the best HSF combo for *insert processor* with *insert motherboard*. I thinking that a sticky could be made with everyones opinions with the type of OC they did and which HSF gave the best results. I will start.

Abit NF7-S w/ 1800+
Slight OC to 1.67
I am using the stock HSF that came with the retail processor. I previously had it OC'd to a 2500+. Worked fine, a little warm for me though. The stock HSF that comes with the Athalon's are great if you not a big OC or don't OC at all.

I am running the system in my sig with the stock ICE cooling that came with the shuttle and some generic thermal paste that came with it. Works fine for me and I get good overclocks. But just wait till I get my hands on some artic silver five (I don't wanna use AS5)

But just wait till I get my hands on some artic silver five (I don't wanna use AS5)

What? That sounds like you really want AS5 but then you say "I don't wanna use AS5)

for the hell of it, here are the best air cooling solutions available for amd/intel:

amd: (socket 462)

thermalright sp-97 heat sink
vantec td9238h tornado

amd: (athlon 64)

thermalright slk-948u heat sink
vantec td9238h tornado

intel: (socket 478)

thermalright sp-94 heat sink
vantec td9238h tornado

call me a thermalright fanboy if you like, but this is all going from the statistics i've seen.

The ICE cooling isnt bad with a little better fan, and cut a nice hole out where the small fan outlet holes are not.

I've got a 2.2celeron in one @ 3.3ghz 150fsb no problem,

And a AMD XP 1700 in another @ 2.3ghz. yeah it's a little warm but stable.

Going with another HSF in that case will just heat the case up.

Lap the ICE cooling block if it's a little rough.

What about clearance issues? Is there a resource that anyone knows that details socket clearance on AMD based boards? The hsf all give their sizes, but how can you tell without trying them on?

Back