Best gaming monitor for 27inch , With RTX 4090

RainerV

n00b
Hello guys.

I'm struggling with the choice for the best 27" monitor for the RTX 4090, but i should go With OLED or 4k? Where It s worth, or i should wait for OLED 4k in 27" inch format ?

I use to play fighting game and FPS , that's i want to Stick With 27" and Not 32"

I concur with the OP. I have a 27" 1440 monitor. I want to make the upgrade to 4K, but I don't want a physically larger monitor (32"). Its currently a TN panel, and I don't see the value in upgrading to an IPS when I have OLED right around the corner.

4K, OLED, 27", Amd/Nvidia VRR, 144mhz, shut up and take my money.

Still waiting though

Curious, my LG 55 OLED does beautiful upscaling. My desktop resolution is 4K but the gaming resolution can be 1080/1440 and it looks gorgeous. The benefit is that I get the fps that comes with these lower resolutions. Why can't PC monitors do this? I've continually read that having the gaming resolution be less than native will look like shit on gaming pc monitors.

The ultimate goal (cost be damned kinda) is that I have the 4K monitor above for the easy/moderate games, and at more demanding games, I go down to 1440 and it doesnt look like ass. I can do that on the huge OLEDs, not yet with gaming only monitors.

Honestly, I wouldn't deal with the performance hit of 4K gaming on a 27" monitor. (I have a 28" 4K display as well as 40 and 43" displays). The difference isn't as pronounced at that size and doesn't seem like a giant improvement over 2560x1440. At 1440 with a 4090, you can largely skip using DLSS or resolution scaling/upscaling. At 4K, you can't. You also have access to higher refresh rates and you'll get better frame rates, motion clarity etc.

I am a big fan of 4K gaming but at 27", I just don't see the point. Even worse, you need font scaling in Windows for that. While this is much better than it was in earlier OSes, I don't much care for it.

Thats the next question. FPS aside, how obvious is the increase in quality from 1440 to 4K at 27 inches? From 1080 to 1440, it was very noticeable. I run a 7900xtx, and i'm just fine with High settings, so hitting 4k@120 for most titles is quite doable.

Thats the next question. FPS aside, how obvious is the increase in quality from 1440 to 4K at 27 inches? From 1080 to 1440, it was very noticeable. I run a 7900xtx, and i'm just fine with High settings, so hitting 4k@120 for most titles is quite doable.

The PPI of 1440p 27" is 109, while 27" 4K is 163 or something like that. The question is, how good are your eyes? I can't see pixels on the 1440p screen until I'm about 8 inches away from the screen. IMO 1440p 240+ is the sweet spot for most games, although I also use my 48" 4K for things like Diablo IV where I lean back and play with a controller (because they can't be bothered to give us WASD movement and my hand cramps up holding the left click all the time).

Honestly, I wouldn't deal with the performance hit of 4K gaming on a 27" monitor. (I have a 28" 4K display as well as 40 and 43" displays). The difference isn't as pronounced at that size and doesn't seem like a giant improvement over 2560x1440. At 1440 with a 4090, you can largely skip using DLSS or resolution scaling/upscaling. At 4K, you can't. You also have access to higher refresh rates and you'll get better frame rates, motion clarity etc.

I am a big fan of 4K gaming but at 27", I just don't see the point. Even worse, you need font scaling in Windows for that. While this is much better than it was in earlier OSes, I don't much care for it.
It would be good playing on ultrawide 32" 4k or Just 32" 4k ? I mean for to play competitive on Fighting game and FPS games ? Of course With the most high monitor HZ around.

I mean for to play competitive on Fighting game and FPS games ? Of course With the most high monitor HZ around.
If this is what you are after, you should avoid 4K entirely. You aren't going to get super high frame rates at 4K. The fastest monitors top out at 120-144Hz at 4K.

Also, there are no ultra-wide 32" 4K monitors. Ultra wide monitors are typically 34" or 38". There are some 49" etc. but the aspect ratios are not ideal for gaming. The 34" ultra-wides for example are also not 4K. They are 3440x1440 typically.

If this is what you are after, you should avoid 4K entirely. You aren't going to get super high frame rates at 4K. The fastest monitors top out at 120-144Hz at 4K.

Also, there are no ultra-wide 32" 4K monitors. Ultra wide monitors are typically 34" or 38". There are some 49" etc. but the aspect ratios are not ideal for gaming. The 34" ultra-wides for example are also not 4K. They are 3440x1440 typically.
I Heard that the 240hz It s the safe spot , while going above that isnt useful. I wanted an solution for Both : to can use Properly RTX 4090 for gaming putting High Settings With Graphic and also having an competitive solution With an single monitor. I manly play Fighting games , then i play FPS time to time.

I Heard that the 240hz It s the safe spot , while going above that isnt useful. I wanted an solution for Both : to can use Properly RTX 4090 for gaming putting High Settings With Graphic and also having an competitive solution With an single monitor. I manly play Fighting games , then i play FPS time to time.
You aren't going to get that. There aren't 4K monitors that can handle 240Hz refresh rates. No hardware exists that would allow you to run games at frame rates approaching that either. Even if you drop the resolution on a 4K monitor to 1080P, it still can't handle a 240Hz refresh rate. 4K honestly shouldn't be your priority based on the games you play and what you are trying to achieve.

What you want does not exist and is not possible at present. You have to choose between a 240Hz 2560x1440 display or 120Hz/144Hz 3840x2160 (4K) display.

I have a Dell 27" 1440p 165hz IPS that I've had for a couple years now. Love it.

hmmm so the wisdom of the [H] crowd says to say the hell with 4K and upgrade to a OLED monitor, but stick to 1440? At the 27" size of course.

I currently have a Dell 27i" S2719DGF (rting of 7.2). 1440, TN panel.

Quick google search for best gaming 27" 1440 OLED is ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (rting of 8.8). Having both AMD and Nvidia VRR is important bc I can change gpu brands anytime

Last edited:
4k looks nice on a 27" if you enable scaling, but I agree with the others that at 27" I'd rather have a 2560x1440 OLED than a 4k LCD for gaming.

The one thing that would get me to go with an LCD in your situation is if you're going to be using the same screen for work or spend a lot of time at the computer not gaming or watching videos. LCD text is usually better. Maybe always if you sit at the right distance. I just went through a bit of an LCD vs. OLED adventure a bit over a month ago. I bought a Samsung Neo G7 43" 4k 144Hz VA LCD at Microcenter for $500. Took it home and had problems. Text looked like crap compared to my 4yo Dell 4k 60Hz 43" IPS screen at the same distance, which admittedly is closer than "recommended", but I use it for programming and want the screen close enough that I can turn scaling off. At that range VA off-angle color shifting wrecked the text and the color. It was fine farther back, but that's not what I wanted. I also had problems with it not waking up from sleep on DisplayPort and glitches on HDMI where the screen would momentarily go blank. So I took it back and bought an LG 48" 120/138Hz OLED monitor for $1200. 120/138Hz because it runs at 120 unless you enable the overclock. Much nicer for gaming, and text looked better at "programming distance". Text still couldn't touch the old 60Hz Dell though, so I bought a little more furniture, a TV mount, and rearranged my office a bit so I could run both along with my 2 24" 1920x1200 side screens in portrait.

Personally I would probably go with a 4k if I were going LCD at 27", but I don't play the same games. I'm not into fast paced games against humans, so 120Hz is plenty. RPGs & strategy games are more my thing. For fast paced fighting and FPS games I'd think you'd want higher refresh, so 2560x1440 with a 4090.

shit now everyone here has me all worried that my text will look like crap. I sit like 2.5 feet back from the screen. Is that enough?

shit now everyone here has me all worried that my text will look like crap. I sit like 2.5 feet back from the screen. Is that enough?
OLED text isn't crap unless you're really sensitive or just being picky. It was fine IMHO. I spent a week programming on an OLED and it was ok. Just not as good as IPS. Yeah you get some fringing like back in the CRT days, but readability was fine. Still, the best setup is a multi-monitor config. There hasn't been a best for everything monitor setup since CRTs stopped being your only choice.

Ips? I'm on a TN panel. Would OLED be an upgrade in text then?

This is my only monitor. Does gaming, word processing, Web browsing, etc. No movie watching though

TN? That is just plain out of my wheelhouse. I'm pretty sure the only TN screen I've ever owned was the 14" LCD I stuffed into a "grape" iMac chassis back around 2004 or so along with an overclocked Athlon XP and Radeon GPU. Tossed the CRT and used the space to build a gaming PC in the iMac chassis. The most pleasing part about that build was finding the adapter that let me plug the original Apple CD-rom drive into a PC mainboard. That rig was fun at lan parties back when those were still a thing. People would give me funny looks for showing up with an old Grape iMac, and I'd just be like "look closer, noob". Good times.

All that said if your current screen is working for you just keep it if you have the space. Even if you like the OLED better in all respects 2 is better than one if you have the space unless all you do is game. Even then I like having a side screen to let me know if I'm getting emails, SMS, etc, when I'm gaming. There hasn't been a best screen for everything since CRT stopped being your only option.

You aren't going to get that. There aren't 4K monitors that can handle 240Hz refresh rates. No hardware exists that would allow you to run games at frame rates approaching that either. Even if you drop the resolution on a 4K monitor to 1080P, it still can't handle a 240Hz refresh rate. 4K honestly shouldn't be your priority based on the games you play and what you are trying to achieve.

What you want does not exist and is not possible at present. You have to choose between a 240Hz 2560x1440 display or 120Hz/144Hz 3840x2160 (4K) display.
Now i'm sure what i'll pick: i will choice between PG27AQDM or i will wait for the new Monitor that will come in the first 2024 the Rog Swift Oled PG32UCDM with 4k and 240hz.

Back