Best external drive?

michael.pa2

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a good,reliable external USB drive for storage. You can leave Western Digital's drives off the list,after a month of frustrations,intrusive built in programs,and just getting the damn thing to work,the My Book Essential drive I bought died completely,and judging from the posts on WD's support forum,I'm far from the only one.All I want is a drive to store data on,no fancy built in backup programs,something I can plug in,turn on,copy data too,and turn off.

the hitatchi x series drives are no bs drives. we've had good reliability at the shop. (over 1000 sold, none returned as dead)

Seagate GoFlex Desk drives are great. I have 7 and another 10 are on the way. Very happy. The 3TB model is what I have and they actually are Barracuda XTs inside so go like a rocket (I'm talking 200MB/s transfers).

I have a few of the seagate drives as well, but I pulled them from the enclosures, I am not sure about the reliability of them if you leave them in the case as the ventilation is not good. They are really fast though.

You'd be better off just buying the HDD of your choice and a decent 3.5" enclosure for it. Of course, this isn't really the time to buy an HDD if you don't absolutely have to.

Have you ever thought to format the drive?

I formatted it after discovering what a pain the built in back up software was. It worked well for a couple of weeks,then died. It only shows up in Windows Disk Management,but it's not initialized and the disk space shows as unallocated. Can't initialize it because it shows as write protected. Tried every unblocking and recovery program I could find,no joy.It seems to be a common problem with WD external drives,and their support doesn't have any real solutions. Never had any problems with their internal drives,but their external drives are junk.

Well, your choices are WD and Seagate, so, it's quite simple.

Back