Best Eight-Core CPU Battle: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X vs Intel Core i7-9700K

I must say that I am liking my 3900x but I am most annoyed at the temperatures, I am running a full custom LCL, the 2080TI runs cool as a cucumber but my 3900x is idling at like 55 under load it never seems to really get above 67 but still. I have checked for contact my voltages are stock everything looks great it is just a hot chip and my temps seem to swing wildly with BIOS and driver updates and it makes me paranoid that I have something horribly wrong.

I must say that I am liking my 3900x but I am most annoyed at the temperatures, I am running a full custom LCL, the 2080TI runs cool as a cucumber but my 3900x is idling at like 55 under load it never seems to really get above 67 but still. I have checked for contact my voltages are stock everything looks great it is just a hot chip and my temps seem to swing wildly with BIOS and driver updates and it makes me paranoid that I have something horribly wrong.

Ryzen Idle is weird compared to Intel, My Xeon is cool and steady, My R7 2700 has temp spikes and runs much warmer period.
AMD thing I guess, doesnt seem to affect anything but has some challenges if you want absolute quiet...

Weird, mine idles around 40C but I have a manual 4.3GHz all core overclock @ 1.275v. I'm on a custom loop with both the 3900X and my Titan X Pascal on the same 360mm radiator.

That is the observer effect. There was an article on TPU with AMD explaining the observer effect. Essentially most if not all monitoring apps are doing it wrong. They are all polling based which worked fine with past cpus but not with Zen 2 **and future cpus, including Intel. Read the article below on observer effect.

https://www.techpowerup.com/257312/...age-exaggerated-a-case-of-the-observer-effect

I suggest you also read up on the difference between effective clocks vs discrete. It has a lot to do with the observer effect as well. Hwinfo is the only app outside of Ryzen Master that is aware of effective clocks afaik.

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/effective-clock-vs-instant-discrete-clock.5958/

I also wrote a quick guide to how to setup hwinfo to monitor Zen 2 using a combo of hwinfo with afterburner and RTSS. You should not be monitoring cpu via discrete clocks, which is 99% of the time the standard defacto way it's done. By using hwinfo, I monitor cpu speed with avg effective clock for cpu speed and die average for cpu temp. Ryzen by default shows discrete clocks which are not accurate. That's why you see by cpu core and temp spikes.

https://hardforum.com/threads/build...render-monster.1990145/page-4#post-1044457505

The other importance of afterburner and RTSS is using RTSS in combo with afterburner to control hw acceleration of apps. Everyone is always surprised by how many apps call for hw accel when they don't need it. That in turn also causes the observer effect, albeit in a different way.

I also wrote a guide on setting RTSS profiles to prevent this here.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/67-amd/1265543-amd-how-thread.html

Last edited:
If the only place anyone can °feel° a difference is with benchmarks than it's a dud in my book.
No one in this thread could feel, see or smell the difference between an over locked 3800x and a normally aspirated 3700x.
In CPU-based video editing and rendering, I did see a difference between a 3800X and 3700X, though it wasn't a massive one.

I'll say that I've found loading many different hardware monitoring applications on a system to be a mistake. They represent their own interrupts and loads which can degrade performance, or in a machine dealing with stability issues, introduce more points of failure making the problem more difficult to troubleshoot.

Like everyone else, I'm pointing out the issues with the article. Mainly, the fact that it was an obviously biased article against Intel.

The article is at least ignorant, that's for sure, because it appears to have a general conclusion that is just plain wrong depending on the audience.

9700K is the clear choice for people that just game. Sure, this could potentially change down the road when games get ported from next gen consoles, but there's zero evidence of that yet.

3800X is the clear choice for mixed computing or content creation.

They talk about those things, but the conclusion should of been "it depends".

<3 my 3800x. Can hit all core 4.5ghz with 1.35 vcore, but opted to leave it on 1.35 vcore and let the motherboard/processor run at whatever speed it wants. Disabled PBO, which keeps it from ramping up to 1.5vcore. This is on an Asus X570i, and a Sapphire 5700XT. I couldn't be happier :D

<3 my 3800x. Can hit all core 4.5ghz with 1.35 vcore, but opted to leave it on 1.35 vcore and let the motherboard/processor run at whatever speed it wants. Disabled PBO, which keeps it from ramping up to 1.5vcore. This is on an Asus X570i, and a Sapphire 5700XT. I couldn't be happier :D
Yep same here. And at 4.5Ghz im 5300 points in CB R20. 9900K @ 5Ghz is only 5100 points.

Back