Best DVD-ROM drive to read Dvd-R ?

Sc0ttFern

Gawd
I have a NEC 2500A drive, and I burn a lot of DVDs, however, when I go to play them on my nec drive, some skip alot and are choppy. This drive is excellent for burning dvds, but as far as playback, I am less then impressed.

My question then is, What is the best DVD-ROM drive to play dvd-rs ?

Also check out cdfreaks.com and the forums on dvdrhelp.com and ask around there or just read what others have had success with.

But like I said, I love my Sony and LiteOn DVD read only drives.

You can get really nice read speeds with a hacked firmware on a Toshiba DVD-ROM.
toshleda.png

It doesn't seem to work with a particular brand of Optodisc 4x DVD-R media though...

Pretty much all DVD-ROM drives are fine, I'm partial to Lite-On and Samsung though.

over on CD FREAKS.COM a lot of ppl are prasing the LiteOn drive especially the XJ-HD-166S series of the LiteOn DVDROM Drive.

I picked one up a few months ago and I have to agree these are really excellent drives. There's even a program that let's you reset the vendor's count of how manytimes you can switch region codes on the drive, and unlocking the drive making it region free.

pirateface said:
over on CD FREAKS.COM a lot of ppl are prasing the LiteOn drive especially the XJ-HD-166S series of the LiteOn DVDROM Drive..

I have one of these and I've found it's a little flakey when reading back cheaper DVD-R media. Sometimes the head might get "lost" - start seeking rapidly all over the place, the disc spins up and down and soon the OS finds that the disc has disappeared from the drive, even though it's still inside.

meh, I don't use cheap stuff. The cheapest media I would use would be either between memorex, verbatim or TDK that's for DVDRs.

For CDs, the cheapest I would use would be the HPs or the RitData discs. I normally would use Maxell, TDK or Taiyo Yuden for CDRs, but I only use those for HQ burns for important stuff.

Your only asking for trouble when you use cheap media, that's just a lesson I learned over the years.

i use cheap media for my NEC 1300a dvd burner, and i have never had any problems with it. media i have used is memorex, Comp USA branded DVD-Rs, Pengo, and HP. i have never had any problems burning data, video or music onto any of these disks, and the quality seems the same from disk to disk for video.

for me, i will stick with my cheap media ($20 for 50 2x DVDs that burn fine at 4x)

Back