Best CPU upgrade options?

If you want "NOW" go with the Intel 14700/900K. If you can wait a few months, AMD will be releasing their series 9 CPU's later this year.

The last word from leakers is that Zen 6 is likely going to be on a new platform. And before that, word was AMD has some in-fighting, over whether or not Zen 6 should be on AM5 or a new platform.
If they go large GPU/or NPU integrated on all of them they could want a different socket I imagine if Intel tile is a big success, but like you say maybe they could still continue to launch non-large igpu/npu on zen5 for a while maybe with little fanfare as traditionnal CPUs could still be popular in some segment and easy enough to put the new core but not the new GPU on AM5....

Is there any noticeable difference in desktop stability / performance and on which OS? Any noticeable micro stuttering on AM5 at any point? I’d be surprised if AM5 supports past Zen 5 (8000 series?).
For a single CCD 7800X3D OS doesn't matter and there won't be micro stuttering in any OS. When you move into the two CCD parts like the 7900X3D or 7950X3D, when configured correctly in Windows it will only run games on the CCD with the extra vcache. I'm not sure if it works like this on other OSes, but with a 7800X3D it's irrelevant since all cores have access to the extra vcache.

Be prepared to be surprised then I guess. I don't think we'll see as much longevity as AM4 but "AM5 will be used through 2025 at the very least and possibly beyond."

It's fine if you just want to stick to Intel. Wait for Arrow Lake or build with Alder/Raptor Lake (refresh) now. Benchmarks and reviews are widely available on the current parts available (obviously not Arrow Lake.) Regardless of which side you choose, MicroCenter typically has amazing bundles that are impossible to beat if you're individually buying the CPU/Mobo/RAM from a retailer. You may also need more than 850W if you're pairing something like a 14700K/14900K with a high end GPU.

Going AMD is an option IF you don't mind going AMD depending on If you want that platform or if your used to Intel like me. For me switching is completely out of the question I don't like their products their cpus or GPUs personally. That's 340 plus tax for the 7800X3D getting very close to 400. The thing is I already had the Z790 platform with a 12700KF like you mentioned. I wanted the 15% performance increase jumping to the 13700K. Also considering the offset of the cost when I sell the 12700KF so it's a small upgrade for a small price maybe 100 or 150 max to help push my 4090 faster. Also I don't like comparing Intel to AMD because even if there is a small lead here, there is a small loss somewhere else. It's just going around in circles trying keep up with the next best thing. Speaking of the next best thing, Arrowlake tiny node architecture on 10,000MHz huh always something better on the horizon so chasing your tail could drive you crazy lol.
Yeah I agree, considering I’m still hanging onto 9th gen I’m thinking of just waiting for 15th gen when it releases and get the most out of the platform (possibly as early as August/September). I am slightly bias towards Intel but only because I’ve never owned AMD and Intel has always been very stable in my builds. I enjoy talking about tech in general, I think at this point it makes sense to hold out for ARL-S, as it’s not far off maybe 6-8 months. My current setup runs quite good as it is for now considering I mostly play single player on PC outside of Battlefield, I also don’t have as much time as I’d like to game so waiting isn’t a big deal. Why do you have such a distaste for AMD products?

Last edited:
If you want "NOW" go with the Intel 14700/900K. If you can wait a few months, AMD will be releasing their series 9 CPU's later this year.
Why not wait for 15th gen intel then? It’s expected to release by Q4 of this year. Do you think the early adoption is going to be costly for a 80-90% gaming setup? I’d prob go with the Core Ultra equivalent of an i7. At least DDR5 will most likely stay inexpensive...

Last edited:
If you want maximum stability I would definitely advise going Intel platform. Can't go wrong with a 13700K I just got one brand new for a little over $300 and it boosts to 5.4GHz stock.
Intel will happily boot and run with unstable memory settings that slowly corrupt your system so it really depends on what you're doing. AMD is much less lenient on booting with unstable memory settings.

Regarding waiting, if you're considering it then you may as well since we're so far into the current lineup's lifecycle. Unless you don't trust new platforms (which is understandable) or get a smoking deal I don't think intel's 1700 platform is the move right now.

Intel will happily boot and run with unstable memory settings that slowly corrupt your system so it really depends on what you're doing. AMD is much less lenient on booting with unstable memory settings.

Regarding waiting, if you're considering it then you may as well since we're so far into the current lineup's lifecycle. Unless you don't trust new platforms (which is understandable) or get a smoking deal I don't think intel's 1700 platform is the move right now.
Not sure what you are trying to do here. Zen 4 will boot plenty, with unstable settings. Buildzoid does it frequently.

Mostly need the performance for gaming, but would like to have enough overhead for light-medium productivity tasks.

Hypothetically if you had to buy now would you go with a 13700k bundle or 7800X3D bundle both are $499 with 32GB 6000Mhz 32CAS RAM and mobo included at micro center.

I guess the downside to waiting is if Intel mostly goes for efficiency gains for 15th gen and it doesn’t end up being 20%+ faster than RL as well as it being brand new arch for intel in a long time. As far as upgrading CPU on the same board/socket that’s not something I typically do, it’s usually not a big enough jump and definitely not for gaming.

Last edited:
Mostly need the performance for gaming, but would like to have enough overhead for light-medium productivity tasks.

Hypothetically if you had to buy now would you go with a 13700k bundle or 7800X3D bundle both are $499 with 32GB 6000Mhz 32CAS RAM and mobo included at micro center.

I guess the downside to waiting is if Intel mostly goes for efficiency gains for 15th gen and it doesn’t end up being 20%+ faster than RL as well as it being brand new arch for intel in a long time. As far as upgrading CPU on the same board/socket that’s not something I typically do, it’s usually not a big enough jump and definitely not for gaming.
If you can't wait until ~July for AMD or Intel's next gen and have to buy now:

I would get this $225 13600KF used off Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/cart/smart-w...8c79-45ce-9c6f-5fc3b4b253e6,1&ref_=sw_refresh

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

AMD would be my choice in that scenario. I'd wait to see what's announced later in the year if I had your current HW though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I feel like this would be more of a side grade as I have 8 P cores already at 5.2ghz even if they’re coffee-lake, I can get the 13600k new for $269 at MC but CPU only, the bundles offer too much value they’d be the best considerations imo.
13600k would be a gigantic upgrade over the 9900KS, in all aspects. Nothing about it is a sidegrade.

Earlier in the thread it seemed like you were questioning the specific motherboards in the bundles. If you aren't, then the bundles are indeed a good value.

However, if you are picky about mobos, a used 13600KF is a good grab.

I'd suggest checking Microcenter for open box parts if you aren't buying a bundle. They won't beat the best deals you might find here or another forum but they're usually well priced.

Intel temps will be relatively high, in most games. As their gaming power draw is often a lot more. My undervolted (but not overclocked) 13600k would pull 180w (according to Afterburner) in Starfield. Starfield is also one of the few games where Intel performs quite a bit better.
Intel CPUs do transfer their heat better. But, their higher power usage generally offsets that, and you still end up temp and heat issues to deal with. Especially with the i7 and i9. The 13600k and 14600k are pretty decent for cooling. But, can still be a bit tough, at times.
View attachment 645508

RE: AM5

It was a mess at launch. I bought a 7700x and tried two different ITX mobos (MSI and Asus). Returned them and eventually sold the CPU.

Asrock has always seemed to have a better handle on AM5.

However, bios since ~ last July, made huge improvements. If you buy Asrock and have a recent bios installed, you will likely enjoy it.

In October, I bought a 7800X3D and an Asrock board. Its been perfect. Even with lots of timing tweaks on some XMP RAM. I have also recommended Asrock boards to several people----and they seem to have no board related complaints!

RE: recent Intel

I bought 12th gen intel at launch (12700k) and had problems there, too. The gigabyte itx board I bought had to be clamped down to PCI-E 3.0, to sort of run without errors. They eventually did a recall on them. Mine was a DDR4 board.

I switched to an Asrock ITX DDR5 board. My first set of DDR5 was bad. Returned and replaced with another of the same set. That system was good, after that.

I also built a 12600k into an Asus TUF B660 MATX board for some kids. And it was fantastic.

And I built a 13600k system for myself, in an Asus B660 ITX board. And it was fantastic. Only replaced that with the X3D, because I got a great deal, and AM5 was in a better place.
The interesting thing about this chart is that even though the intel chips use more power the AMD CPUs run hotter at lower frequencies, go figure lol just thought I'd throw that in :)

13600k would be a gigantic upgrade over the 9900KS, in all aspects. Nothing about it is a sidegrade.

Earlier in the thread it seemed like you were questioning the specific motherboards in the bundles. If you aren't, then the bundles are indeed a good value.

However, if you are picky about mobos, a used 13600KF is a good grab.
The 13700K bundle comes with an MSI board which Id prefer over the Gigabyte which is in the AM5 bundle. I’ve never had Gigabyte, I’m more familiar with MSI.

https://tinyurl.com/2mcx2z24

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it "spanks" the 14700k, most benchmarks are pretty close overall and game dependent, it seems at idle and gaming loads the Intel part runs cooler albeit higher wattage, it's only at higher loads (95-100% load - benchmarks) where the temps can really get up there on Intel. 7800X3D draws less power in all situations beside idle and overall wins in gaming by a little bit but loses in productivity. I'm tempted to give AMD a chance, I just don't want to deal with an unstable, high maintenance platform. Intel's been super stable and has just worked for me over the past decade or so and I've never had an AMD CPU. I'm not sure I'd personally want ASRock, I typically have the least issues with ASUS/MSI for motherboards, but I'm willing to try out Gigabyte. Who typically makes the best mid-range (value) motherboards for each platform this gen (AM5 and Z790)?
No experience with the newer platforms but as of right now, my favorite mobos are gigabyte.

A few months ago I had to rma an asus z590 and b550.

msi used to be my favorite...but I had an x299 die on me.

Only have one asrock...seems fine. The bios seems kinda wonky to me, but I'm used to gigabyte.

The interesting thing about this chart is that even though the intel chips use more power the AMD CPUs run hotter at lower frequencies, go figure lol just thought I'd throw that in :)
I’m thinking I can go to Micro Center and see if they will throw in the 14700k if I cover the $30-$40 difference in cost of the 13700k. If they are willing to do this I’ll be getting RL and soon!

I’m thinking I can go to Micro Center and see if they will throw in the 14700k if I cover the $30-$40 difference in cost of the 13700k. If they are willing to do this I’ll be getting RL and soon!
I know the one here in KC would allow that, but then, they know me by name there too.

Going AMD is an option IF you don't mind going AMD depending on If you want that platform or if your used to Intel like me.
What does this even mean.

Anyway..
Done deal, fastest you can get for gaming and ready for Ryzen 9000. Kind of silly to do anything else.
1712666804371.png

AMD one uses less power and should be faster so I'd get that. Unless your light productivity includes using a lot of cores it won't really matter which you get for that. I've been using the 7900X in my work pc since release with some 6000 expo gskill ram and haven't had any issues. I don't know about MC return policy but if it ends up not working perhaps you could swap the setup out as well.

AMD one uses less power and should be faster so I'd get that. Unless your light productivity includes using a lot of cores it won't really matter which you get for that. I've been using the 7900X in my work pc since release with some 6000 expo gskill ram and haven't had any issues. I don't know about MC return policy but if it ends up not working perhaps you could swap the setup out as well.
Not too concerned about power usage as my PC isn’t on all the time for me to care and I also have a EK D5+Res combo and 360 + 280 rads I would just need a new cpu water block to cool it, and PSU. What would you guys recommend 1000W if I were to get the 14700K + 4070 Ti around 5 drives

Its true that relative to their power usage, Zen 4 are more difficult to cool. And X3D even a bit more. And at complete idle, they use more power.
If your computer is turned on all day and mostly idles, then I guess this is a consideration.

Zen 4 are more difficult to cool. And X3D even a bit more.
I don't really agree. My old 7900x was scoring over 30k in Cinebench R23 under an AK620 (211W peak) and my now 7800x3D seems like it can be cooled with a stiff breeze. AK620 and now Assassin IV it doesn't break 82c after looping Cinebench for a few minutes.

I don't really agree. My old 7900x was scoring over 30k in Cinebench R23 under an AK620 (211W peak) and my now 7800x3D seems like it can be cooled with a stiff breeze. AK620 and now Assassin IV it doesn't break 82c after looping Cinebench for a few minutes.
Speaking of the deep cool AK 620 if you want it to perform at its peak you can add the front fan and a rear fan along with its middle fan and it's performance is surprisingly very good. I did this with outstanding results LOL

If you remove the relative to their power usage part you change the statement quite a bit, 7800x3d with the PBO one stay under 100 watt under multithread load, 7900x goes to 200-210 like you say.

7800x3d tend to use less power than even non X cpu like the 7700.

Because they are around 50 watt when gaming, they could be hard to cool for their power consumption and still be the easiest CPU to cool in a long time for people buying expensive CPUs, just because of how little power they use.

The focus over CPU temperature for temperature that are under the CPU start to throttle value seem a bit strange to me, specially for people that seem to upgrade often and use it for non critical system... (and even otherwise), does it matter if the cpu is at 340 kelvin or 355 Kelvin, would we ever know or any ability to tell the difference without Hwinfo telling us ? People had intel core cpu going at 100 something Celsius for a decade in Dell boxes without any issues.....

Last edited:
If you remove the relative to their power usage part you change the statement quite a bit, 7800x3d with the PBO one stay under 100 watt under multithread load, 7900x goes to 200-210 like you say.

7800x3d tend to use less power than even non X cpu like the 7700.

Because they are around 50 watt when gaming, they could be hard to cool for their power consumption and still be the easiest CPU to cool in a long time for people buying expensive CPUs at the same time.

Yeah the only differences between my 13600k build and my 7800X3D build, are the mobo and CPU.
My air cooler is an Noctua NH-C14S (with a Thermaltake Toughfan 14 and now 14 pro), and it seems to handle both CPUs similarly. For Cinibench multicore stress testing, I had to undervolt the 13600k. And I have to use Curve Optimizer undervolting, for the 7800X3D (IIRC it won't take -30. I think its at -20). Gaming temps are similar.
13600k had a Thermalright contact frame. And my 7800X3D is also using one, as well as Noctua's offset mount, to get the heatsink base more centered over the actual CPU cores.

7700x I couldn't get full performance while using the NH-C14S, even with -30 in Curve Optimizer, which it was otherwise totally stable with.

Although my ITX case isn't wide enough for it, I briefly test a Peerless Assassin on the 7700x, with the case side panel off. And it was able to just barely get full performance from that 7700x.

I know some coolers are unusually poor with AMD. Not sure if both of these are in that club.

This was my 7900x under an AK620. Stock it was in the 28k range. With some tweaking it was over 30k.

All while maintaining a steady 60% PWM peak so it was pretty damn quiet. Was able to maintain the performance when moving to Assassin IV entirely because it looked cool.

7800x3D now.. childs play to keep under control. Like 90W peak in Cinebench and more like 40-50W in gaming.

What does this even mean.

Anyway..
Done deal, fastest you can get for gaming and ready for Ryzen 9000. Kind of silly to do anything else.
View attachment 646510
I don’t have that short of an upgrade cycle to look forward to swapping out a new CPU on the same board, I also adopted late for z390 with the 9900KS and it’s lasted me 5 years so far and still performing admirably. I can only imagine how fast a 13700/14700 would be. Would you guys go with an 850w or 1000w PSU?

Last edited:
I don’t have that short of an upgrade cycle to look forward to swapping out a new CPU on the same board, I also adopted late for z390 with the 9900KS and it’s lasted me 6 years so far and still performing admirably. I can only imagine how fast a 13700/14700 would be. Would you guys go with an 850w or 1000w PSU?
Buying a 7800x3D doesn't automatically mean you have to upgrade, unless i'm misunderstanding your point. The Microcenter deal is just too good to pass up and that's at its high. It was $470 or so a few weeks back.

A good A-tier 850W is plenty with a 4070Ti, only a 285W card.

Buying a 7800x3D doesn't automatically mean you have to upgrade, unless i'm misunderstanding your point. The Microcenter deal is just too good to pass up and that's at its high. It was $470 or so a few weeks back.

I agree for either brand it’s a no-brainer especially if you have components that you can resell. It will come out to only a couple hundred or so for the cost of upgrade (not including PSU and water block).

No experience with the newer platforms but as of right now, my favorite mobos are gigabyte.

A few months ago I had to rma an asus z590 and b550.

msi used to be my favorite...but I had an x299 die on me.

Only have one asrock...seems fine. The bios seems kinda wonky to me, but I'm used to gigabyte.
I've experienced issues with every motherboard brand. Off the top of my head, here is my general history:

VIA brand board for Athlon XP with slots for both SDRAM and DDR1. This system started killing hard drives after about 3 years of use. after the replacement hard drive died within 6 months, I decommissioned that system. May not have been the board, maybe the PSU or something. RAM was fine. and I had used SDRAM and DDR1, over its time of use.

DFI mobo for Athlon 64 died after 2 weeks
Biostar board I replaced it with, corrupted the IDE controllers after a couple of years. SATA HDD worked fine. But decided to decommission and....

.....Gigabyte board I used for Core2quad, didn't turn on one day, after about 1.5 years.

I don't remember what brand board I used for a 6 core AMD Phenom. and I can't look it up, because I bought it in store at Fry's. I wanna say it was another Gigabyte board. It was great, though. and I used it for a few years.

Gigabyte ITX board for 7th gen intel died after a few days
Asus board I replaced it with, was great for a few years, until I sold it.

Asrock H570 ITX board I used with 10700f and 11700f, was fantastic.

Asus B550 ITX board had USB disconnect/connect issues on the front panel ports, which were never resolved for my 3900x (was fine with a 5950x) ((maaaayyybe not Asus' fault, I suppose. As the AGESA base firmware which they build BIOS around, comes from AMD)) ((((that same board also required me to do a bios hack, to reveal alternative power management modes for SSD. My system would temporarily hang for about 10 seconds, multiple times per day. This fixed it.))

Asrock ITX Z590 board's rear NVME mounting screw was not aligned properly. Couldn't screw in my SSD (returned)
MSI board I replaced it with had a very buzzy VRM fan (returned board and sold 11900k).

Gigabyte ITX Z690 DDR4 board had to be manually set to PCIe 3.0, to avoid major corruption issues. Still wasn't free of issues even when set like that. Turned out to be a widespread problem. (Gigabyte recalled. I sold the replacement unused).
Asrock Z690 DDR5 ITX board I replaced it with, was fantastic. Unfortunately, I fumbled a screw driver about 9 months later, and damaged that board's PCB and it never worked right after that.

I built an Asus TUF B660M based system for some kids, and it was fantastic.

Asus B660 ITX board, the cooling plate for the backside of the front NVME, was bent. (Returned and re-purchased the same product. Replacement was an excellent board. Sold it here.)

MSI ITX B650 board's sound chip was very noisey, poppy, and staticky. (returned)
ASUS B650-E ITX board, the cooling plate for the backside of the front NVME heatsink setup, was bent downward. So, only the first ~1/4 of the back of the drive would make contact with the thermal pad.(returned. didn't even install the CPU).

Currently on an Asrock ITX B650-E and it has been fantastic

I've experienced issues with every motherboard brand. Off the top of my head, here is my general history:

VIA brand board for Athlon XP with slots for both SDRAM and DDR1. This system started killing hard drives after about 3 years of use. after the replacement hard drive died within 6 months, I decommissioned that system. May not have been the board, maybe the PSU or something. RAM was fine. and I had used SDRAM and DDR1, over its time of use.

DFI mobo for Athlon 64 died after 2 weeks
Biostar board I replaced it with, corrupted the IDE controllers after a couple of years. SATA HDD worked fine. But decided to decommission and....

.....Gigabyte board I used for Core2quad, didn't turn on one day, after about 1.5 years.

I don't remember what brand board I used for a 6 core AMD Phenom. and I can't look it up, because I bought it in store at Fry's. I wanna say it was another Gigabyte board. It was great, though. and I used it for a few years.

Gigabyte ITX board for 7th gen intel died after a few days
Asus board I replaced it with, was great for a few years, until I sold it.

Asrock H570 ITX board I used with 10700f and 11700f, was fantastic.

Asus B550 ITX board had USB disconnect/connect issues on the front panel ports, which were never resolved for my 3900x (was fine with a 5950x) ((maaaayyybe not Asus' fault, I suppose. As the AGESA base firmware which they build BIOS around, comes from AMD)) ((((that same board also required me to do a bios hack, to reveal alternative power management modes for SSD. My system would temporarily hang for about 10 seconds, multiple times per day. This fixed it.))

Asrock ITX Z590 board's rear NVME mounting screw was not aligned properly. Couldn't screw in my SSD (returned)
MSI board I replaced it with had a very buzzy VRM fan (returned board and sold 11900k).

Gigabyte ITX Z690 DDR4 board had to be manually set to PCIe 3.0, to avoid major corruption issues. Still wasn't free of issues even when set like that. Turned out to be a widespread problem. (Gigabyte recalled. I sold the replacement unused).
Asrock Z690 DDR5 ITX board I replaced it with, was fantastic. Unfortunately, I fumbled a screw driver about 9 months later, and damaged that board's PCB and it never worked right after that.

I built an Asus TUF B660M based system for some kids, and it was fantastic.

Asus B660 ITX board, the cooling plate for the backside of the front NVME, was bent. (Returned and re-purchased the same product. Replacement was an excellent board. Sold it here.)

MSI ITX B650 board's sound chip was very noisey, poppy, and staticky. (returned)
ASUS B650-E ITX board, the cooling plate for the backside of the front NVME heatsink setup, was bent downward. So, only the first ~1/4 of the back of the drive would make contact with the thermal pad.(returned. didn't even install the CPU).

Currently on an Asrock ITX B650-E and it has been fantastic
Motherboards are typically the most problematic component in my experience, I’ve only done maybe 5 unique builds total 4 intel (3570k, 4770k, 5820k, and 9900KS and 1 amd 7800X3D cousin got last year. This will technically be a rebuild I guess. Mostly ASUS/MSI boards one Asrock and maybe a Gigabyte. I had an MSI X299 motherboard fail on me as well, funny someone mentioned it earlier I RMA’d it and got another board from MSI and it didn’t work or even power up, ate the cost and bought an ASUS X299 that ended up working out.

I’m thinking the Seasonic Focus 850W to replace my ax1200i, the bundles from MC provide so much value it’s hard to wait around potentially 10-12 months. By the time I’d need to upgrade my CPU again it will be at least 3-4 years minimum and by then we’ll see where Intel/amd are. Heading over tomorrow going to try and see if they’ll bundle the 14700K. If not I’ll just grab the 13700k, it’s only the CPU in my loop right now so it’s more than enough, if I had to buy off Newegg I’d be waiting 100%, I prefer to buy NiB; especially motherboards.

Last edited:
Just got back from Micro center got approved for their card went with 6 months 0% interest if paid in full.

13700k (wouldn’t swap to 14th gen) bundle with 2 year motherboard support from MC ($35).

Seasonic 850PSU and a ASUS RT-AX1 800S router for total $800. I prob won’t get a chance to throw in it my tower for almost 6 weeks, unfortunately I have to finish my semester first.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Just got back from Micro center got approved for their card went with 6 months 0% interest if paid in full.

13700k (wouldn’t swap to 14th gen) bundle with 2 year motherboard support from MC ($35).

Seasonic 850PSU and a ASUS RT-AX1 800S router for total $800. I prob won’t get a chance to throw in it my tower for almost 6 weeks, unfortunately I have to finish my semester first.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes.
You made a good choice IMO.

I’m so dumb I didn’t realize this router wasn’t Docsis compatible
You made a good choice IMO.
Thanks, yeah except the router, I didn’t realize it’s not compatible with Docsis connections. Is there any point to upgrade an IP provided docsis modem on a 500Mbitps connection?

Thanks, yeah except the router, I didn’t realize it’s not compatible with Docsis connections. Is there any point to upgrade an IP provided docsis modem on a 500Mbitps connection?
Keep the router you bought, you just need a standalone DOCSIS modem. Just buy a modem approved for your ISP rather than lease one for the $5/month or whatever.

Combo modem/routers are usually not great. Coax connects to your modem, then an ethernet cable from the modem to your WAN port on your router.

Back