Best CPU upgrade options?

What cooler are you going to use on the 13700K?
I have an open loop with an EK D5 - Res combo an EK CPU Block and two rads a 280 and 360 in the Lian Li 011 Dynamic Razer case. I haven’t put a waterblock on my last couple of GPUs, it’s just not worth the hit on resale imo and the 4070 Ti is efficient as it is. I’ll be getting the EK Quantum Velocity2 for the 13700k.

Edit: I’m eyeing the NZXT H9 Flow/Elite Case now, not that I need a new case but it’s basically a better version of what I have now and looks FANtastic.

Last edited:
Keep the router you bought, you just need a standalone DOCSIS modem. Just buy a modem approved for your ISP rather than lease one for the $5/month or whatever.

Combo modem/routers are usually not great. Coax connects to your modem, then an ethernet cable from the modem to your WAN port on your router.
What about something like the Arris Surfboard SB8200 3.1 Docsis modem? I live in an apartment so I’m not sure if I need a router, just curious if I should upgrade the IP provided modem that Arris SB has good reviews. I only pay for Wifi from Optimum so cable TV and landline aren’t in the picture, on my iphone 13 pro max speedtest gets up to 500 Mbps but on my desktop it’s significantly slower <100Mbps. Unfortunately I rely on wireless right now, I don’t have wired ethernet due to location of PC, but the devices are the same distance from my modem. I’ll look at optimums approved modem list as well, if you think individual modem and router is better for desktop.

Edit: Checked Optimum website pretty sure they’re only compatible with DOCSIS, or at least that’s what they recommend (DOCSIS 3.1) for their internet service.

**Optimum Internet (no phone service) customers who want to use their own modem or Gateway, we encourage you to use a DOCSIS-certified DOCSIS 3.1 modem for all internet speeds.

A DOCSIS 3.0 24-channel or 32-channel modem may be used for speeds ≤500Mbps but you may not achieve the full performance of the service you are subscribing to.**

I’m pretty sure they only gave me a DOCSIS 3.0 or cheap 3.1 modem with the plan around 3.5 years ago but my plans speeds have increased so I’m just going to go with a Docsis 3.1 device and return the router. Other buyers stated that 3.1 modem has increased their speeds and it’s supposed to be more secure

Last edited:
Edit: I’m eyeing the NZXT H9 Flow/Elite Case now, not that I need a new case but it’s basically a better version of what I have now and looks FANtastic.
I have that case and it's good. I have it in storage at the moment, but plan on putting in use with my secondary PC here soon.

Maybe Micro Center 12700K $210 but no bundle, MSI Z690 Unify $200, $100 DDR5? I don't think it's loud on an MSI ACE board. Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 5

Maybe Micro Center 12700K $210 but no bundle, MSI Z690 Unify $200, $100 DDR5? I don't think it's loud on an MSI ACE board. Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 5
I have a 12700KF for sale PM me if you want it bro I'll hook you up cheaper than microcenter for sure. (Not sure if you or whoever you're messaging is considering this cpu just throwing mine out there before it goes in the for sale section)

The bundles can change from day to day. They had a 12900K bundle that was $399 I think, I know this isn't the right section but I'm going to list the cases I'm looking to upgrade to as I have the original Lian Li o11 Razer edition (2019?) mid tower, it's still really nice but I'd like a bit more space as it's getting tight with drives and overall amount of components.

Fractal Meshify 2/XL
Corsair 6500D/X
Corsair 5000D/X or 7000D/X
Phanteks NV7
NZHT H9 Flow

There is also the Deep Cool CH780 which look like a great value, and the Thermaltake CTE (90 degree motherboard) cases which look interesting, anyone have any experience with Cougar cases? I know they make good fans, the cases are priced right but I'm sure the quality might not be as good the above brands.

I really like the all glass view, but would also prefer front ventilation so I'm leaning towards the 6500D as of now, although Fractal is supposed to be amazing to build with. Any other recommendations/thoughts?

The bundles can change from day to day. They had a 12900K bundle that was $399 I think, I know this isn't the right section but I'm going to list the cases I'm looking to upgrade to as I have the original Lian Li o11 Razer edition (2019?) mid tower, it's still really nice but I'd like a bit more space as it's getting tight with drives and overall amount of components.

Fractal Meshify 2/XL
Corsair 6500D/X
Phanteks NV7
NZHT H9 Flow

There is also the Deep Cool CH780 which look like a great value, and the Thermaltake CTE (90 degree motherboard) cases which look interesting, anyone have any experience with Cougar cases? I know they make good fans, the cases are priced right but I'm sure the quality might not be as good the above brands.

I really like the all glass view, but would also prefer front ventilation so I'm leaning towards the 6500D as of now, although Fractal is supposed to be amazing to build with. Any other recommendations/thoughts?
This is the best case I've ever owned. Incredible performance. HAF 700
Cooler Master HAF 700 E-ATX High Airflow PC Case, Mesh Front Panel, Dual 200mm Sickleflow Customizable ARG Fans, 1 x USB 3.2 gen 2 Type C, 4 x USB 3.2 gen 1 (3.0) (H700-IGNN-S00) https://a.co/d/e2o1Xrc

View: https://youtu.be/I9YYJT5Cl0c?si=IuPlaUq9nRectwsd

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the best case I've ever owned. Incredible performance. HAF 700
Cooler Master HAF 700 E-ATX High Airflow PC Case, Mesh Front Panel, Dual 200mm Sickleflow Customizable ARG Fans, 1 x USB 3.2 gen 2 Type C, 4 x USB 3.2 gen 1 (3.0) (H700-IGNN-S00) https://a.co/d/e2o1Xrc

View: https://youtu.be/I9YYJT5Cl0c?si=IuPlaUq9nRectwsd

Yeah that’s a sweet case I like how you can mount the fans to the side panel, it’s a little big compared to what I’m looking for but I’m sure it’s amazing! Is that a Super Tower case?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah that’s a sweet case I like how you can mount the fans to the side panel, it’s a little big compared to what I’m looking for but I’m sure it’s amazing! Is that a Super Tower case?
Yes it is big but not much bigger than a big full tower. What I love about it is the dual 360 rads on the top and a 240 rad on the rear. Then you can have the front/side/bottom all as intake. That way no hot rad air gets exhausted into the case and nothing but cool air flows through the case making the ram and everything else as cold as possible as well as all rads getting cold air. It's just amazing. The last case I'll ever buy for my main rig. I have 26 fans in it right now, it's silent.

I have used the Corsair 7000X/D cases as well and they are very nice. Still have them and I always seem to find my way back to them on occasion when I get bored and decide to switch hardware into them.

Fractal Meshify 2/XL
Corsair 6500D/X
Phanteks NV7
NZHT H9 Flow

I'd say Corsair 5000 or 7000, or Fractal since you mentioned multiple drives. I'd lean toward the 7000 or the Fractal, maybe the Thermaltake, out of what you listed.

My main am4 system already had 5800x (replaced 2700x). So I decided to switch over to my 12400 on z690 and upgrade to an open box 14700k from microcenter. $333 with included Star Wars game coupon. It also moves me from 2 Nvme slots on am4 to 4 on the Intel board. Intel plays so many shenigans when a new platform comes out and prices usually are high for Intel and AMD for one or two years before midrange parts fully saturate the market.

I'd say Corsair 5000 or 7000, or Fractal since you mentioned multiple drives. I'd lean toward the 7000 or the Fractal, maybe the Thermaltake, out of what you listed.
I’m leaning heavily towards the Meshify 2 (most depth/length I can comfortably fit), I really like the 5000/7000 cases but they don’t allow bottom radiators. I like the all glass appearance of the NV7 and H9 but the tower sits under my desk anyway, I think the extra airflow from the front is more important, the Meshify 2 lite tint it is I’m thinking. The Lancool 3 looks nice as well but I’m most likely going with Fractal as it has more dust filtering than the LC3 which I need. It would be nice if I could afford and had the space for an Alta F2, V3000 or 1000D but they’re pretty overkill tbh. I also like the Torrent a lot except no airflow from the top of the case is strange to me since heat wants to rise, I typically exhaust out the top even if it doesn’t make much of a difference overall, it makes the most sense to me, and even if you can’t populate all the radiator slots at once, or only at a certain width, it’s nice to have the build flexibility imo.

Last edited:
Are Consair cases better than Lian-Li cases ?
I would think that is subjective, I have had both of those brands over the years and liked them equally.

With the exception of the Dan A4...... I hate that case, but I love it when I don't have to put my mitts in it.

I’m leaning heavily towards the Meshify 2 (most depth/length I can comfortably fit), I really like the 5000/7000 cases but they don’t allow bottom radiators. I like the all glass appearance of the NV7 and H9 but the tower sits under my desk anyway, I think the extra airflow from the front is more important, the Meshify 2 lite tint it is I’m thinking. The Lancool 3 looks nice as well but I’m most likely going with Fractal as it has more dust filtering than the LC3 which I need. It would be nice if I could afford and had the space for an Alta F2, V3000 or 1000D but they’re pretty overkill tbh. I also like the Torrent a lot except no airflow from the top of the case is strange to me since heat wants to rise, I typically exhaust out the top even if it doesn’t make much of a difference overall, it makes the most sense to me, and even if you can’t populate all the radiator slots at once, or only at a certain width, it’s nice to have the build flexibility imo.
You might like the new TD 500 mesh although it is very similar to the meshify 2 just another option. For a smaller mid tower I like the H5 Flow also. Deepcool has couple cool cases also like the CH560 Digital for a bit smaller then a full tower.

Last edited:
The new Corsair 6500 cases are looking pretty sweet too. I'm almost tempted to get one myself lol

I'm waiting on Intel to make something on the newer processes, at least Intel 4 in a decent desktop processor.

I read this in mcLovin voice for some reason...
I just laughed it off and moved on. I guess someone's knowledge is based on your post count here.:LOL:

You might like the new TD 500 mesh although it is very similar to the meshify 2 just another option. For a smaller mid tower I like the H5 Flow also. Deepcool has couple cool cases also like the CH560 Digital for a bit smaller then a full tower.
The Thermaltake CTE E600 Max looks nice as well I’m not sure if I’m sold on the 90 degree angle motherboard mount though. I think Fractal, Corsair and Lian Li are the way to go, but there’s quite a few other great brands like Phanteks, Cooler Master, Antec, NZXT, DeepCool, Silverstone etc. I’m stuck between Lancool 3 and Meshify 2, Lancool 3 is $20 cheaper at $140 and comes with 4x140mm and seems easier to build in, the Meshify 2 comes with 3x140mm and seems to be slightly higher build/fan quality.

Last edited:
The Thermaltake CTE E600 Max looks nice as well I’m not sure if I’m sold on the 90 degree angle motherboard mount though. I think Fractal, Corsair and Lian Li are the way to go, but there’s quite a few other great brands like Phanteks, Cooler Master, Antec etc. I’m stuck between Lancool 3 and Meshify 2, Lancool 3 is $20 cheaper at $140 and comes with 4x140mm and seems easier to build in, the Meshify 2 comes with 3x140mm and seems to be slightly higher build/fan quality.

Bro how about the Corsair 6500D Airflow? Holy shit look at this thing.
Front fans, side fans, bottom fans, top fans, dual chamber, back connect... This is one of the few cases I've seen that checks ever single box. I might get one of these for myself in black perhaps. It's almost too good to resist tbh

View: https://youtu.be/2KnuGGtSBp8?si=Vq9O57bI65dkGxUd

Bro how about the Corsair 6500D Airflow? Holy shit look at this thing.
Front fans, side fans, bottom fans, top fans, dual chamber, back connect... This is one of the few cases I've seen that checks ever single box. I might get one of these for myself in black perhaps. It's almost too good to resist tbh

View: https://youtu.be/2KnuGGtSBp8?si=Vq9O57bI65dkGxUd

Yeah the 6500D is a really beautiful case with a great form factor, there’s almost too many options! I love how the dual chamber cases typically sit shorter and wider as well. I’ve been running dual chamber with the lian li o11d and it’s worked great so I’m not opposed to the 6500D and Corsair is high quality.

Last edited:
The Corsair iCue 5000T is available in White brand new for only $205 at my microcenter, is this a superior case compared to the Fractal and Lancool at that price point (it usually sells for $399)?

The Corsair iCue 5000T is available in White brand new for only $205 at my microcenter, is this a superior case compared to the Fractal and Lancool at that price point (it usually sells for $399)?

Would show less dust too.

For that price it's a nice buy. It was never a $400 case IMO. They were charging a higher cost because of the included fans mainly.

For that price it's a nice buy. It was never a $400 case IMO. They were charging a higher cost because of the included fans mainly.

I’m still leaning towards the Fractal Meshify 2, I like the minimalist design and flexibility of the case, especially for a mid-size. The only other case that I could really compare to it is the Lancool 3, but I prefer the aesthetic of the FM2 a couple of the only mid towers that support 3x140mm fans front and top. Gonna order 3 x NF-A14s as well, the case comes with 3 x 140mm fans I already have 2 140mm and 5 120mm.

Last edited:
Had to go with Lancool III (black only $140 but RGB version) as the EK Quantum Surface rads are too wide for the FM2, still happy with the case, LCIII is the better performer and more modular, it’s big and heavy though. I preferred the Fractal for aesthetic and build quality but Lian Li is great quality as well. Do we think a single EK P360M with 3 Noctua A12x25s is enough (top mount/exhaust in push or pull?) for the 13700k on a Velocity2 block and EK Revo D5 pump/res combo? Prolimatech PK-3 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for cpu?

I’ll also be getting the thermaltake contact bracket. I didn’t realize how weak EK cool stream thin rads are, I have them in my current loop.

Last edited:
Had to go with Lancool III (black only $140 but RGB version) as the EK Quantum Surface rads are too wide for the FM2, still happy with the case, LCIII is the better performer and more modular, it’s big and heavy though. I preferred the Fractal for aesthetic and build quality but Lian Li is great quality as well. Do we think a single EK P360M with 3 Noctua A12x25s is enough (top mount/exhaust in push or pull?) for the 13700k on a Velocity2 block and EK Revo D5 pump/res combo? Prolimatech PK-3 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for cpu?

I’ll also be getting the thermaltake contact bracket. I didn’t realize how weak EK cool stream thin rads are, I have them in my current loop.
Some would say pull for easier dust cleaning but I prefer push because with a high powered compressed air it blows it out anyway. I would just suggest make sure it's exhaust which I think you already stated cuz if you intake your RAM would be like 10 to 15° higher under load. Most people use one 360 for their CPU if you really want more you can squeeze in a 120 rad exhaust in the rear fan location they're super cheap and easy to mount.

Some would say pull for easier dust cleaning but I prefer push because with a high powered compressed air it blows it out anyway. I would just suggest make sure it's exhaust which I think you already stated cuz if you intake your RAM would be like 10 to 15° higher under load. Most people use one 360 for their CPU if you really want more you can squeeze in a 120 rad exhaust in the rear fan location they're super cheap and easy to mount.
Yeah it'll be exhausting out of the top, I won't need to touch any of the stock fans, it comes with 4 x 140mm, I could add the 360 ek cool stream rad from my current PC to the bottom but I honestly don't think it's worth the trouble, I'll most likely just add 120mm intake fans at the bottom and leave the stock fans as is. Went with TG Kryonaut grease as it happened to be the same price as the PK-3, Royal Blue Cryofuel, soft matte black EK tube, so coolant will only be visible from reservoir and cpu block, I think it will work nice. I have everything, once I finish school in a month I can start building! I'll make sure to post when it's done, thanks for all of the input I appreciate it!

Edit: I also have a wired PC air compressor so cleaning isn't as big of an issue, I'll most likely end up getting the lancool 3 filter pack for $19.

Last edited:
Yeah it'll be exhausting out of the top, I won't need to touch any of the stock fans, it comes with 4 x 140mm, I could add the 360 ek cool stream rad from my current PC to the bottom but I honestly don't think it's worth the trouble, I'll most likely just add 120mm intake fans at the bottom and leave the stock fans as is. Went with TG Kryonaut grease as it happened to be the same price as the PK-3, Royal Blue Cryofuel, soft matte black EK tube, so coolant will only be visible from reservoir and cpu block, I think it will work nice. I have everything, once I finish school in a month I can start building! I'll make sure to post when it's done, thanks for all of the input I appreciate it!

Edit: I also have a wired PC air compressor so cleaning isn't as big of an issue, I'll most likely end up getting the lancool 3 filter pack for $19.
This is a worthwhile video to watch if you're going to set up more than one radiator

View: https://youtu.be/jxnNOlRGp-c?si=BnZY9PqTEPlKoRwh
This is why I never have any of my radiators to intake into the case it makes a pretty big difference

This is a worthwhile video to watch if you're going to set up more than one radiator

View: https://youtu.be/jxnNOlRGp-c?si=BnZY9PqTEPlKoRwh
This is why I never have any of my radiators to intake into the case it makes a pretty big difference

Yeah there’s tons of great content on the internet nowadays, RN my 280 is exhaust out of the top and 360 intake from the side of my o11d. It’s still a great case, but not the best for airflow, my last couple of cases have been dual chamber so I wanted to build something a little different.

I’ll try and sell my unused parts as a bundle hopefully I can get a few hundred or so from the case, board, cpu+block, 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RAM, prob include the cool stream rads and their fans, everything works in good condition.

Fractal Meshify 2/XL
Corsair 6500D/X
Phanteks NV7
NZHT H9 Flow

I replaced my old 800d from 2013 with a new 7000d a few months ago and I like it alight.

Back