Best Connection for Web-Hosting?

DarkSamurai2003

Limp Gawd
What would be a good connection for web-hosting?

I was thinking about SDSL, but I don't know the prices of SDSL. It's not going to be widely used, maybe 5-15 people a day or so? At different times or something, would 3.0 Mbit / 768 K ADSL be sufficient enough for that?

The ADSL you mentioned is probably ok, unless you're talking video downloads and such. I suggest http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/ as a test resource for load times; you should be able to extrapolate from there.

//edit: part of the answer is also "why do you have this site?" -- that dictates the appropriate connection to some degree. If it's just for personal use, don't shell out the cash for SDSL+.

DarkSamurai2003 said:
What would be a good connection for web-hosting? I was thinking about SDSL, but I don't know the prices of SDSL. It's not going to be widely used, maybe 5-15 people a day or so? At different times or something, would 3.0 Mbit / 768 K ADSL be sufficient enough for that?

When going with a connection through any ISP for web hosting, find out what ports they block. Specifically if they block port 80, or 21. Many do, and if they do, you will have to work around this by using a different port on your address. For instance... if the ISP blocks port 80, your web address would have to be something like ** yourdomain.com:8080 ** or if you're not going to use a domain, your IP will suffice with the same port usage. Example 10.10.10.10:8080 You may end up needing to purchase a business type service plan so port 80 is availiable to you if the ISP blocks that port on regular residential use.

And like lomn75 stated in the previous post, a lot of it depends on what kind of information you will be hosting. For text and basic pictures, 768K upload and higher should be fine. Anything less will work, but not nearly as well. Anything like streaming audio and pictures, I wouldn't really think of using anything less than 1M up. IMO

Back