Best Buy Warranty

nekrosoft13

[H]ard|Gawd
I have the 37 inch westinghouse (1st gen) and i have two problems with it, in games i can see bending, and between 40-70% brightness there is buzzing, really bad at 50-60%)

i bought the 4 year extended warranty. did anyone tried to get a replacement from best buy?

the thing is 1st gen are gone, and 2nd gen are not 1080p. So i will wait for 3rd gen.

my main concern is best buy, they should exchange it for the 3rd gen when they come in stock right?

nekrosoft13 said:
I have the 37 inch westinghouse (1st gen) and i have two problems with it, in games i can see bending, and between 40-70% brightness there is buzzing, really bad at 50-60%)

i bought the 4 year extended warranty. did anyone tried to get a replacement from best buy?

the thing is 1st gen are gone, and 2nd gen are not 1080p. So i will wait for 3rd gen.

my main concern is best buy, they should exchange it for the 3rd gen when they come in stock right?

Oh man, I feel for ya. maybe it will be different for you but I got jacked around so much with my 30" widescreen samsung. I bought it from best buy about 9 months ago and was sold the 4 year extended warranty plan. Ya know it cost like $250 so you'd think it would do something. Well about 4 months ago my samsung started haveing some major problems. Bending, uncontrolable shaking in 720p and a nasty wiper effect in 1080i. So I went back to BB and explained to them what was going on and asked if I could exchange it for a LCD HDTV and just pay the difference. The manager said "he felt my pain", yeah whatever, but I could do that and I would have to go through the repair processes. Right now I still have my samsung sitting in the corner broken. It went completely out about 3 months ago. The repair guy just keep on bringing stuff over to try to fix it. Even though he came over about 5 times, it was only considered one repair visit... so much for the 3 repair visits and take it back thingy to BB... So anyhow it is finally deemed unrepairable and so I called BB and said that I wanted to get my samsung exchanged for an westinghouse 37" and then the manager tells me that there is no way he can do that and I can only get the same tv back or something of compairable price... Frickin assholes, I get lied to again by BB. So right now I have a broken samsung sitting here and I've been with out it working for 4 months and Im getting a new samsung... great Im so over joyed, ebay here I come.

Yeah also to answer your question since they don't have the W1's in stock they will force you to take a W2 if there is no W3's there. But if you haven't got a repair guy to come out and look at your tv yet, get him coming. By the time its "deemed unrepairable" the W3's will long be out and the W4's will probably be close behind.

And another thing if your still within your manufactures warrany then your extended service plan won't even kick in. Which usually if something goes wrong with the TV it happens within a year. Just another way BB screws it customers. Good Job BB, I'll never shop there again.

They can't force you to get the same unit. The manager is full of crap goto a diffrent Best Buy. They are required to give you a credit for the amount of the unit. But it doesn't really sound like its under the Best Buy warranty yet. You see when you buy those service plans its covered by the Manufacturer until that runs up. So, your 4 year PSP is really only a 3 year.

look read the PSP brochure it will tell you everything!

How it works if the unit has failed on you and it was DEEMED unrepairable after the 1st year you will get a comparable model or you can just the credit on what you paid for the TV itself. You can not ask for what you want and get it people. Im assuming you got yourself a 30inch CRT samsung, so ask for a credit b/c you can not find a comparable model that you like and use that gift card to buy another TV of your likings and pay the differenece.

Also if your unit is over one year old and it was junkout unfournately you'll need to buy another way before the orginial PSP warrenty is consider fullfilled once they give you the credit back.

You guys bitch and complain and never read the brochure of something you bought. Yes the manufactor is covered under the first year but EVERYDAY I WORK AT GEEK SQUAD I GET EMAILS ON PRODUCT REPLACEMENTS EVERYDAY for customers that are over a year old of owning a tv. It Doesnt screw everybody and it only screws the people who cant get what they want and thats it. TRUST me i've helped a lot of customers who got a new tv (better one than before for example non HD old front projection tv) to new HD TVS and they bought rebought the service plan on the new tv, so its not there for a scam its there for a reason !!! To protect your product after the manufactor warranty !

first off did you buy a PRP (product replacement plan) or a PSP (product service plan) - there is a big difference in the two

pates03 said:
look read the PSP brochure it will tell you everything!

How it works if the unit has failed on you and it was DEEMED unrepairable after the 1st year you will get a comparable model or you can just the credit on what you paid for the TV itself. You can not ask for what you want and get it people. Im assuming you got yourself a 30inch CRT samsung, so ask for a credit b/c you can not find a comparable model that you like and use that gift card to buy another TV of your likings and pay the differenece.

Also if your unit is over one year old and it was junkout unfournately you'll need to buy another way before the orginial PSP warrenty is consider fullfilled once they give you the credit back.

You guys bitch and complain and never read the brochure of something you bought. Yes the manufactor is covered under the first year but EVERYDAY I WORK AT GEEK SQUAD I GET EMAILS ON PRODUCT REPLACEMENTS EVERYDAY for customers that are over a year old of owning a tv. It Doesnt screw everybody and it only screws the people who cant get what they want and thats it. TRUST me i've helped a lot of customers who got a new tv (better one than before for example non HD old front projection tv) to new HD TVS and they bought rebought the service plan on the new tv, so its not there for a scam its there for a reason !!! To protect your product after the manufactor warranty !

wow looks like I hit a nerve here.

For your information I have read through the PSP brochure, over and over again. Expecially the no lemon policey part. I don't know maybe the manager at this BB just hates me or something. And in there no where does it say that it has to be after the manufactures warranty to take advantage of it. And again for your information pates03 the reason I feel like Im getting screwed is the fact that I was told one thing from BB and they they go and do another. Case in point, when my samsung finally was DEEMED unrepairable and I called up BB I was told that there is no way possible I could bring it back through my 4 year extended service plan and upgrade to a better tv and just pay the difference. I asked what about giving me a voucher or instore credit. I was told by the store manager that there was no way possible that could happen, that it was not even in the computer he had right there as an option to do so. And maybe I wasn't clear enough with my reasons why I think the extended service plan is bullshit and is a scam.

I was told that when I bought the plan that if something was to go wrong with my tv and it was unrepairable then I could have it replaced with the same model or one of different value and I would pay the difference...

Under my manufactures warranty if something goes wrong then they replace the tv.

I paid $250 for that damn extended service plan and as crazy as it sounds pates03 I kinda expected to get what I was promised to get though it, amazingly it was what I wanted to get to, sheez...

So I was sold a 4 year plan that really only is a 3 year plan.... ummm thats what I call a scam pates03, I think most people would call it that to.

The wounderful 4 year plan that I paid a 1/4 of the price of the tv that I bought only would allow me to get the same tv back. Which is exactly what the manufactures warranty is doing for me... Maybe it was just this BB, but c'mon theres something seriously wrong if each BB varies that much.

So do I consider BB super expensive extended service plan a scam, sure do. I don't see why anybody could see other wise. If nothing else for the reason that they sell you something that is suppost to cover you for 4 years and really only covers you for 3. BB has got their scaming down good... very good.

So I was sold a 4 year plan that really only is a 3 year plan.... ummm thats what I call a scam pates03, I think most people would call it that to.

That part of the warranty is a scam in my opinion it should be called the +3 warranty
because Best Buy won't even touch the unit for the 1st year. Another thing to be careful of with the PSP plans. Is some companies have a 3 year warranty and Best Buy will still try and sell you a service plan. Like I think your samsung has a 3 year warranty. Just because they aren't on comission don't belive for a second they won't try and bend you over.

the psp covers the first year also. whoever tells you otherwise is really full of shit and just trying to save their store some money. i know in our store, if a product is junked out and a customer wants a more expensive one, we accomodate them. then again, a lot of our management have been terminated recently so that could be a reason.

And another thing if your still within your manufactures warrany then your extended service plan won't even kick in
Gee that looks, sounds and smells like manuer. Very poor business ethics. I think eventually in the future the market may go back more towards the small specialty shops once people gets tired of the big box's "smoke and mirrors" (Smoke and mirrors refering to the environment in which you hear a loud music pounding away all over the store and then you realize that the monitors that are on display are very well lit up in the store to give them their optimum contrast appearance and having to deal with a pushy salesman who suddenly acts like your buddy at the same time). I got an NEC 90GX2 at Future Shop (subsidary of Best Buy) only to find out it had a big ass dead pixal right in the middle of the screen so I went ahead and I gave it a second chance so I exchanged the NEC for another one and this time the next NEC had a bright streak of bleeding back light and in the middle of the screen again, that's when I said to myself forget these big box stores and I returned the second NEC and went to a small store instead and got the Viewsonic 2025 WM for $509 CDN when BEST BUY is selling it for $649.99 CDN. Boy was I surprised and yet they call it Best Buy?

orpanyD said:
Gee that looks, sounds and smells like manuer. Very poor business ethics. I think eventually in the future the market may go back more towards the small specialty shops once people gets tired of the big box's "smoke and mirrors" (Smoke and mirrors refering to the environment in which you hear a loud music pounding away all over the store and then you realize that the monitors that are on display are very well lit up in the store to give them their optimum contrast appearance and having to deal with a pushy salesman who suddenly acts like your buddy at the same time). I got an NEC 90GX2 at Future Shop (subsidary of Best Buy) only to find out it had a big ass dead pixal right in the middle of the screen so I went ahead and I gave it a second chance so I exchanged the NEC for another one and this time the next NEC had a bright streak of bleeding back light and in the middle of the screen again, that's when I said to myself forget these big box stores and I returned the second NEC and went to a small store instead and got the Viewsonic 2025 WM for $509 CDN when BEST BUY is selling it for $649.99 CDN. Boy was I surprised and yet they call it Best Buy?

Very well put, case in point, my wife and I went over to circuit city just to have a look at some of their tvs. As we were looking a super pushy sales guy came up to us and trys to teach me how HDTV works and why I can't live w/o it. yeah yeah, Im know how progressive scan works and all that jargon. Since im a nice guy I sit and patiently listen. After I turn down all his "sale pitches" he directs me over to their dark show room to show me logitech's $200 master remote. Yeah its great but I told him were not buying anything, he continues on talking like nothing was said. After I finally get adament with him and tell him NO he directs me over to where they have the Monster Cable brand surge protectors at about $300 a peice and explains me to that if I don't have one of these then I don't care about my home entertainment center and am neglecting it. At this point I just walk off and head out to the car. :mad:

Im so tired of big retail stores from their loop holes in their service plans and returns policeys to their pushy attitudes of their sales people. I know that they are their to make money, I can understand that. To to make money at any cost, thats just poor bussiness ethics. Im sticking with small speciality stores and online shoping. I can get everything I want that way and don't have to feel like Im going through the car buying process at the time. ;)

Kingofl337 said:

That part of the warranty is a scam in my opinion it should be called the +3 warranty
because Best Buy won't even touch the unit for the 1st year. Another thing to be careful of with the PSP plans. Is some companies have a 3 year warranty and Best Buy will still try and sell you a service plan. Like I think your samsung has a 3 year warranty. Just because they aren't on comission don't belive for a second they won't try and bend you over.

Heres the deal, I work at Best Buy as well, although unlike pates03, I dont work @ Geek Squad, I work in the computer department. Although it's a four year warrenty, and yes it overlaps the manufactuers warrenty, we're paying to ship it out, and have it shipped back. Who would really like to have to send a 40in plasma TV out to the manufactuer?

Anywho:
orpanyD, Best Buy price matches anyways, as long as it's not mail-in rebates, we can price match it.

i too work at bestbuy, and as far as being pushy and the like about accessories and service plans, i'd just as likely not tell you about all the offers we have, and i'd have a really easy job. but my job is to offer everything to you, explain the benefits of everything so we have a chance to make money. don't be upset with the sale's people because if we don't offer you the "complete solution" then we get rebuked by our managers and supervisors.

TheGoat Eater said:
first off did you buy a PRP (product replacement plan) or a PSP (product service plan) - there is a big difference in the two

PRP's are not sold on TV's.

Kingofl337 said:

Storytime:

My Denon AVR-3806 receiver broke. I thought we didn't have the PSP on it so I called Denon and they told me that the only way to get it fixed was to:

a.) drive 80 miles to a service center. Total time without receiver = 6 to 8 weeks
b.) pay for shipping and insurance to Denon and pay for shipping and insurance back to me. A total of 300 dollars. Total time without receiver = 4-6 months.

Thats how most manufacturer warranties work. You ship it to them, footing the bill for shipping. Then I realized that my dad did indeed get the PSP on the receiver. I drove 5 minutes to my local best buy and they deemed it broken - 15 minutes later I was driving home with a brand new one.

Aldur said:
And another thing if your still within your manufactures warrany then your extended service plan won't even kick in. Which usually if something goes wrong with the TV it happens within a year. Just another way BB screws it customers. Good Job BB, I'll never shop there again.

Completely false. See above post. Receiver was less than 6 months old.

rayman2k2 said:
Completely false. See above post. Receiver was less than 6 months old.

well the extended warrenty plan for TV's must be slightly different then for home theather recivers. From what I was told from the manager at BB and the TV repair service people is that if it is under the manufacture's warrenty then it is their deal and BB won't touch it. I dunno maybe I'm just being lied to... :confused: its happened before.

And to Brendank310, its cool with me if a BB or circuit city employe explains to me the options and trys to help me out. that has happened plenty of times to. But was does happen all to often as well is that I get attacked by a rabbit car sales men, or it least thats what it seems like. Help is always nice, but overbearing is to much.

As far as the shipping the tv out if it is covered I think on larger tv's, 30" and up, they send a repair guy out. I know thats what they did with mine and the service calls were not charged to BB but to samsung directly.

Aldur said:
well the extended warrenty plan for TV's must be slightly different then for home theather recivers. From what I was told from the manager at BB and the TV repair service people is that if it is under the manufacture's warrenty then it is their deal and BB won't touch it. I dunno maybe I'm just being lied to... :confused: its happened before.

Well, receivers can be carried into the store for service, most TV's cant :). Best Buy's policy is that all tv's 27" and up are dealt with in home. I should also mention by 61" Samsung DLP has had service on it while it was within the manufacturer's warranty. My opinion - you were lied to. :(

As far as the shipping the tv out if it is covered I think on larger tv's, 30" and up, they send a repair guy out. I know thats what they did with mine and the service calls were not charged to BB but to samsung directly.

You hit it square on the nose, and I don't think you know it. All problems that Best Buy deals with in the manufacturer's warranty period is charged to the manufacturer. So yes, Samsung isn't fixing your TV directly, but rather, Best Buy is fixing it on behalf of Samsung.

UberGeek427 said:
Heres the deal, I work at Best Buy as well, although unlike pates03, I dont work @ Geek Squad, I work in the computer department. Although it's a four year warrenty, and yes it overlaps the manufactuers warrenty, we're paying to ship it out, and have it shipped back. Who would really like to have to send a 40in plasma TV out to the manufactuer?

Anywho:
orpanyD, Best Buy price matches anyways, as long as it's not mail-in rebates, we can price match it.

well now actually i'm the computer senior of the dept. But its true we do price match and the computer department now we offer instant rebates on laptops and desktop and most of our accessories. So our prices are somewhat fair compared to the internet.

Thanks for all the replies

I got the TV about 7-8 months ago, banding is only visible on xbox, and on animated shows (family guy) right now I have it set to 70% brightness, so buzzing is not present, but ideally I would like to set it to 50-60% brightness.

I think I will wait few more months, and then try to do something about it.

Btw, from research on net I noticed that allot of people are complaining about the noise, seems like a TV issue.

Instead of making a new topic, I have another product that needs to be exchanged. Is it the same procedure with laptops, with 3 year plan?
I have one of those eMachines N68XX (AMD 64) Laptops, that has the horrible hinge crack problem. Everyone that does own that laptop had the hinges crack on him. Even after repair, hinges will crack again.
First the hinges cracked 2 weeks after I bought the laptop, I got the N6809, and I brought it back to store. N6809 was discontinued, so I decided to take a N6811. Took it home opened the box and hinges where already cracked. Went back to store, was told that they can only give me another N6811. :mad: So that’s what I did. 5-7 weeks later hinges broke. Decided to call eMachines, end result was shipping it to their repair center (no charge). Week later I got my laptop supposedly fixed. Now the Hinges are cracked again, also the screen flashes sometimes.

Keep in mind that this laptop stays home 99% of the time. Never been abused. All I do is open the lid, use it, and close the lid

Long story short. What are my changes to finally get rid of this eMachines nightmare? No more eMachines laptops!

i work there and from what i understand you have to get it repaired first and then if it needs more than 3 repairs during your warrenty time they will give you a comparable product at the same price (could be an upgrade or the same thing).

its a Product Service Plan

and no i dont ride best buys dick, im not defending them

They should exchange it for the newer version of the monitor. At least that's what they did with mine. My mom bought an HP cpmputer package from them like 2 years ago when 17" LCDs were like $600+. She bought the $300 PSP for it because it covered both the pc and the monitor. Fast forward 2 months ago, the LCD got like 7-8 pixel burns, which got really annoying. So, she brought it in and they took a look at it and said they'd replace it for her because you can't really "repair" it (if you do, it would prolly cost more than the unit itself). They gave her HP's newest 17" LCD, which today retails for about $300. Eh seems like she got her money's worth for the PSP...

The Best Buys in California seem to be pretty cool about warranty related stuff. Heh I got so much crap from abusing the iPod PRP... Then they had to go and change it to PSP....

Back