Best Buy Clearance Laptops In-Store YMMV

Wow, I can never find any of these deals. If someone is nice enough to pick one up for me, I'll give ya $50 on top of it all.

Went to BestBuy in N. Attleboro Mass this AM. They had is marked down to $1159. I asked the sales dude to look online and see what the other stores had it priced for. He went on and saw it in a couple locations for $748 - cash in hand and they matched that price. No idea how many they have instock, they had them in back. Good luck everyone. I almost pulled the tigger back at 1249, online clearance at $1350, and was trying to work a deal with a couple online. Very glad that it didn't work out on those :)

Does the Sony have a metal body or just a metal chassis? It looks so good but I don't ever want a plastic laptop again, I much prefer metal. None in stock near me but I might just pick one up on eBay using Live Search.

I stopped by the Crestwood, IL BestBuy. It was Over $1000. So I think this deal is BS. I'm just saying...

Clearance prices have always varied from store to store with BB, just because its not priced like that at your store doesn't make it BS.

Clearance prices have always varied from store to store with BB, just because its not priced like that at your store doesn't make it BS.

True, and remember the price match policy DOES NOT apply to clearance items, so they do not have to match a clearance price.

*Referring to the quote in my previous post: If a laptop is $750, then how does someone pay $753? Was it only $3 worth of tax? Lol, not if its Cook County. Try 10.25%. Like I said, It seems suspicious. Look, I don't want to get into an argument over it. I just haven't seen this deal.

this is a smoking HOT deal...

for those that can actually get it..................................................................................................

I am going to check out our Best Buy(both of them) after work today and see if they have it.
That laptop is smoking hot for $750!

oddly enough my store 411 flint michigan is doing pretty good. See Flints economy has been so bad for so long, we all just know how to deal with it, Seems like everywhere else is just catching up.
Anyhow no deals for those machines around here. were still selling em all like hotcakes.

Bought my 6860 with the 8800m on the first day of july this summer. It was on sale for $1100 at the time and I got a Swissgear backpack for -$50 along with it. Definitely no regrets. Excellent machine and bag. Only limitation is the T5550 CPU that is a little weak, but still a C2D so it does just fine.

seems like every BB within 3 hours driving distance from me is out of it..

question: if its marked as a clearance item, it would still show as avail. for in-store pickup , correct?

bump for anyone with any info on any stores in MICHIGAN that has this deal for ~$750​

seems like every BB within 3 hours driving distance from me is out of it..

question: if its marked as a clearance item, it would still show as avail. for in-store pickup , correct?

i was wondering this exact same thing

The reason for these price drops is that the product we are getting right now was purchased last summer (oopsies) in anticipation. That's how it works in retail. You do market research, project budgets. All the trends were up, especially for laptops. My particular store has been many thousands of dollars short for the last few months on what we were supposed to make revenue wise. And that means there's many thousands of dollars of product we have in stores that we were expected to sell that we haven't sold yet.

Back when we ordered merchandise, like many retailers, we weren't anticipating this big economy scare to happen. People aren't buying things. For the middle class it's actually not as bad as it's being perceived (or purported by the media) but perception is king. That's why this black friday (not just the day, but the whole season) is deal central.

So it's happening to electronics, too. It's hitting all big businesses hard. You'll catch deals like this quite a bit now, as retailers (not just Best Buy either) are going to try to move that old inventory as quickly as possible.

SirKronan is spot on and it is going to get worse. CC filed for chapter 11 and there are experts who wouldn't be surprised if BB is a casualty of this VERY SIGNIFICANT economic downturn. The first thing that the bulk of the population does is stop discretionary spending - aka buying sh!t they don't need, that leads to retailers that sell 'luxury' items going out of business. If you like cool stuff cheap, just wait and you will see MANY more deals like this.

They had the Vaio for $775 , but I just bought the display model for roughly $675 in Kankakee, IL.

OK, all the Best Buys in Indiana I have called are saying that they will price match any other Best Buy's price, BUT they need a hard copy of the ad or shelf price sticker. If someone with a Best Buy nearby could go and try to get hard evidence (and post it) of the $750 price, I think it would do many of us a favor.

Bought my 7811 in September for $1249. Liked it but decided it just wasn't fast enough for me coming from an E8500 @ 3.8GHz and a GTX 260. So I sold it on Ebay last week for $1200 shipped. Boy, am I glad I did! :D

Mmm... Anybody have some ketchup? I'm eating my words. I called the Crestwood BB again this mourning and finally spoke with someone "knowledgeable". Sigh.

I bought the FW-170J (essentially extra RAM, bigger HDD, and Blu-ray than the 140J) for $979 a few weeks ago on clearance thinking I'd made a fine selection. I'm still really happy with it. Its got a solid feel, nice but different keyboard, light for a 16.4 inch monitor, better than I'd have expected battery life (~3.25 hrs), and is much more stylish than the Lenovo I had been looking at.

At ~$750 for a little less than my 170J it sounds like a killer deal for a Sony.

Just saw a VERY NICE laptop. It was a Toshiba gaming laptop, and it had a 9700GTS Mobile GPU and like a 7350 CPu for like 1200 bucks. Not too shabby.

my brother just bought the sony for $509. it was a display model. he also paid for the optimization (don't ask) and when he brought it home nothing was done. all the bloatware is still there. no updates done. user name not set up. $40 wasted there. can he get his money back?

btw - it looks REALLY nice. feels very sturdy and the screen is fantastic. 1600x900 16.4". i want one now

he said the gateway was $10xx and all the other stores around the area had them for more than $1000.

I bought the FW-170J (essentially extra RAM, bigger HDD, and Blu-ray than the 140J) for $979 a few weeks ago on clearance thinking I'd made a fine selection. I'm still really happy with it. Its got a solid feel, nice but different keyboard, light for a 16.4 inch monitor, better than I'd have expected battery life (~3.25 hrs), and is much more stylish than the Lenovo I had been looking at.

At ~$750 for a little less than my 170J it sounds like a killer deal for a Sony.
Nice! Do you know if the body is metal or just regular plastic?

Nice! Do you know if the body is metal or just regular plastic?

Its definitely just plastic. But it feels very well put together. There is no flex anywhere on the base including the keyboard and just a little flex on the lcd. If it were metal I would assume it would weigh quite a bit extra. As it is its lighter than my friend's Dell xps 1530 and another friend's Dell Vostro 1510, despite having a larger screen.

As an edit, one thing about this laptop that is annoying is the placement of the usb slots. For some reason they put them all side-by-side and they put them on the right side closest to you. That's where I want to use my mouse, but instead I have to work around my usb dongle. A little irritating, but I'm getting used to it.

Just came back from BESTBUY. Sony laptop is on clearence for $799 :( store cannot price match.

how does the Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with Intel® Clear Video technology comapre to the NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 discrete video memory?
Let me put it this way, I'd rather use a Geforce 2 in 3D games than the intel video. I think it accelerates blu-rays though.

my brother just bought the sony for $509. it was a display model. he also paid for the optimization (don't ask) and when he brought it home nothing was done. all the bloatware is still there. no updates done. user name not set up. $40 wasted there. can he get his money back?

btw - it looks REALLY nice. feels very sturdy and the screen is fantastic. 1600x900 16.4". i want one now

he said the gateway was $10xx and all the other stores around the area had them for more than $1000.
Services are not refundable. You could go in and complain and make sure it gets done, though. That's probably about it. Sorry you got scammed.

Its definitely just plastic. But it feels very well put together. There is no flex anywhere on the base including the keyboard and just a little flex on the lcd. If it were metal I would assume it would weigh quite a bit extra. As it is its lighter than my friend's Dell xps 1530 and another friend's Dell Vostro 1510, despite having a larger screen.

As an edit, one thing about this laptop that is annoying is the placement of the usb slots. For some reason they put them all side-by-side and they put them on the right side closest to you. That's where I want to use my mouse, but instead I have to work around my usb dongle. A little irritating, but I'm getting used to it.
Ah alright, thanks for the info. I had read something about Magnesium but I think that was referring to the chassis and not the body itself. I guess metal at $600 is asking too much. :p

Wife and I went to the two best buys in our area and one store didn't have it at all. The Geek Squad chick was trying to sell me another comparable comp, when I told her the Gateway had DDR3 in it and she said "oh wow, we don't have anything here with DDR3 in it." to which I told her "Uh, that Toshiba Qosimo has DDR3 in it."
"Oh it does? Oh, well is there anything else you need?"

So we left.

Went to the next one and they had the FX but it was selling for full price. I asked the guy if they would price match another store and he said sure but all he was going to do was check the online price. I then told him that the online price didn't show the B&M prices that were being mentioned and he said
"Well all stores have to sell at the same price."
"Except that they're not selling at the same price."

We left there too. Tool.

I got a couple friends checking their BB's and holding out hope.

If anyone sees any of these at their locals, please PM me. I'll pay shipping and extra for one.

Please don't call the stores. If you do, you will probably hear "Sorry, we don't have any in stock" while the BB rep is laughing and calling his friends. If you are interested in the laptop, make the trip to your local BB to check on it. It may or may not be worth it, but you will certainly have a better chance that way than calling the store.

Please don't call the stores. If you do, you will probably hear "Sorry, we don't have any in stock" while the BB rep is laughing and calling his friends. If you are interested in the laptop, make the trip to your local BB to check on it. It may or may not be worth it, but you will certainly have a better chance that way than calling the store.

Thus why I avoid giving business to Best Buy unless I have to.

Wife and I went to the two best buys in our area and one store didn't have it at all. The Geek Squad chick was trying to sell me another comparable comp, when I told her the Gateway had DDR3 in it and she said "oh wow, we don't have anything here with DDR3 in it." to which I told her "Uh, that Toshiba Qosimo has DDR3 in it."
"Oh it does? Oh, well is there anything else you need?"

So we left.

I got a couple friends checking their BB's and holding out hope.

If anyone sees any of these at their locals, please PM me. I'll pay shipping and extra for one.
Juuust an FYI, Geek Squad Agents do not work on the sales floor unless it's extremely busy.

BB has new laptops go through there every week and it's possible for me to go out to the floor and have not seen half of the laptops out there.

And DDR3 is an absolute moot point, so don't pretend it's the end all be all and that she's a total n00b for not pointing out that "feature".

Just saying...

Juuust an FYI, Geek Squad Agents do not work on the sales floor unless it's extremely busy.

BB has new laptops go through there every week and it's possible for me to go out to the floor and have not seen half of the laptops out there.

And DDR3 is an absolute moot point, so don't pretend it's the end all be all and that she's a total n00b for not pointing out that "feature".

Just saying...

Don't know why you think I would make that up but she was on the floor, working it.

I don't recall saying anything about DDR3 being the end all be all to her or to anyone in this forum but if someone in the business of working on computers doesn't know that at least one or two comps in your inventory have DDR3 then why are they talking? Stick to what they know and not what they THINK they know.

She may not have been a noob but don't tell me something, as if it's gospel, when it isn't.

Just to clarify for you, she was pointing out the fact that this similar laptop had 4gb of memory in it as well. Thats when I told her that the other had the more expensive DDR3 memory in it which is why the price seemed so good to me. To which she made her reply.

I'm merely pointing out that in this experience, this Geek Squad employee was telling me something that simply wasn't true, so I don't understand why you're giving me a hard time.

Back