Best budget B550 MB for strictly gaming w/5000 series

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Looking for low cost 2X min RAM slot minimum MB. 4 slots is fine but not needed.
I would like it to be fully capable and not restrict some minor OC'ing and definitely not restrict or throttle the CPU out of weakness of power delivery. Just running a modern GPU along with my Zen 3 for VR gaming so no need to focus on extensive slots or connectivity options or bling type things.
Best $$/performance B550 in your opinion?
Edit: PS the best to the [H] community regardless of the response. Love being here over the years and the best Christmas to you all. Just a wish of good will if you align differently. God bless regardless!

Last edited:
Probably something like this DSH3:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-17#kf

Have one with the better heatsinks (can't remember the exact name) and it does the job with an APU installed on it and PBO activated.
Was near the tops of my list based on my megar research. Saw a few reviews that said it throttled the CPU due to weak power delivery.
I am semi enthusiast with my PC parts and would like to play around with an OC/under-volt so I do not want a 520 class 550 board ya know.

Are you buying new? The best bang for the buck is probably an AM5 7600 with a cheapish B650 motherboard. You're pushing into 5800X3D territory.

Probably something like this DSH3:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-17#kf

Have one with the better heatsinks (can't remember the exact name) and it does the job with an APU installed on it and PBO activated.

I've used plenty of DSH3 motherboards and they all work fine.

Was near the tops of my list based on my megar research. Saw a few reviews that said it throttled the CPU due to weak power delivery.
I am semi enthusiast with my PC parts and would like to play around with an OC/under-volt so I do not want a 520 class 550 board ya know.
I guess it probably depends on what CPU you want to power and OC. You didn't mention it and i guest a lowered power variant.

But as kirbyrj said maybe looking into AM5 isn't a bad option, especially when you're looking for more powerful versions of AM4.

I guess it probably depends on what CPU you want to power and OC. You didn't mention it and i guest a lowered power variant.

But as kirbyrj said maybe looking into AM5 isn't a bad option, especially when you're looking for more powerful versions of AM4.
I have a spare 1700X and 16GB DDR4 CL14 that I want to put back in my older X370 and move my 5700X to the B550. I'll have another full system for the cost of a cheap board. I don't have any plans of putting in a 5900/5950X so sticking to relatively low power.

I have a spare 1700X and 16GB DDR4 CL14 that I want to put back in my older X370 and move my 5700X to the B550. I'll have another full system for the cost of a cheap board. I don't have any plans of putting in a 5900/5950X so sticking to relatively low power.

I think you would be fine with the gigabyte board.

The Asrock B550M Pro SE, or if you want ATX the Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 would be my recommendations.

The Asrock B550M Pro SE, or if you want ATX the Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 would be my recommendations.
I was considering a couple of the Asrock's as they have some very tempting MIR. Problem is they all stated in the specs that they may need BIOS update for 5000 series. I only have Ryzen 1000 and 5000 series CPU's so I would be stuck if I needed to update the BIOS.

I was considering a couple of the Asrock's as they have some very tempting MIR. Problem is they all stated in the specs that they may need BIOS update for 5000 series. I only have Ryzen 1000 and 5000 series CPU's so I would be stuck if I needed to update the BIOS.
You run the exact same risk with the Gigabyte B550M-DS3H. Rev 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3 need a BIOS update for Zen 3, but Rev 1.4 and newer don't. I've never seen e-tailers list which revision of a board you'll receive but you could maybe contact them in advance to verify. It's a small gamble with any B550 boards except ones that have BIOS flashback or were released really late in AM4 cycle. I'd say stock moves on those Asrock boards enough (and the Gigabyte as well) that realistically any board you purchase at this point from a respectable e-tailer will ship with a compatible BIOS unless you're very unlucky. Worst case, if you contact AMD they can do a "Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit" but I get that many people may not want to go through the hassle. Good luck with your build regardless of what board you choose.

You run the exact same risk with the Gigabyte B550M-DS3H. Rev 1.0/1.1/1.2/1.3 need a BIOS update for Zen 3, but Rev 1.4 and newer don't. I've never seen e-tailers list which revision of a board you'll receive but you could maybe contact them in advance to verify. It's a small gamble with any B550 boards except ones that have BIOS flashback or were released really late in AM4 cycle. I'd say stock moves on those Asrock boards enough (and the Gigabyte as well) that realistically any board you purchase at this point from a respectable e-tailer will ship with a compatible BIOS unless you're very unlucky. Worst case, if you contact AMD they can do a "Short Term Processor Loan Boot Kit" but I get that many people may not want to go through the hassle. Good luck with your build regardless of what board you choose.
I bought from NewEgg.ca and it stated the revision # and stated out of the box 5000 series enabled. I bet you're right and the Asrock's were fine but I didn't feel like the gamble and I would rather not play MIR this holiday season anyway ;) I haven't had an Asrock sense my Socket 939 Dual MB that I still have to this day.

The Asrock B550M Pro SE.....

OP mentions " fully capable and not restrict some minor OC'ing"... I'd avoid that board then as that board doesn't have any sort of PBO, based on some of the reviews posted... (its really a Pro 565 chipset.... definitely deceiving with B550 in the naming)

Back