Best AMD CPU

I'd have to go with the T-Bird and later the Athlon 64 x2.

I had a 1 ghz T-Bird running at 1.2 ghz on air. I've still got that chip somewhere and it was used for something like 12 years. Went from desktop, to mail server, to DNS server, and then edge router. At about 5 years the caps blew out on the board, so I got a cheap replacement and the chip kept going. The home brew router was retired in 2012. The pencil trace I made to unlock it lasted 12 years :)

The Athlon 64 x2 was also a great chip for me. I had been doing emulation on PCs and Mac for years, and that chip replaced a 800mhz dual Pentium III setup which was used for development. Only got 5 years out of that processor before pulling it from use. But it was a very good chip until it was replaced by a Phenom X4.

But the T-Bird is definitely the king of the hill for me.

I've had:
Athlon XP 1400 (Favorite)
Athlon 64 (build never completed)
FX 8350 (still gets the job done)

Duron 600. not many chips able to double(or close to) their frequency. got mine to 1133 on air. quite a few people got to 1200 under water.
both my FX chips were/are great too. [email protected] currently 8120@4560
shit, every AMD I've own OC'd like a mofo! started with a K6-2 450@535, K6-3, Duron, Athlons, Semprons, Athlon XPs....

but my "little Duron that could" is still running today at 1100 as a shop/garage computer for my bro-in-law!

My Athlon 900 will always be my favorite amd chip. Probably because its the first CPU I ever bought to self build.

The quality of parts that were available sucked though lol. I remember knowing nothing and buying a geforce MX 400 for that very build... Awful.

My Athlon 900 will always be my favorite amd chip. Probably because its the first CPU I ever bought to self build.

The quality of parts that were available sucked though lol. I remember knowing nothing and buying a geforce MX 400 for that very build... Awful.
Hey I had that same card! It was good enough to allow games to open and run shitty vs not opening at all.

Best AMD chips by socket that I have had:

Socket 3 - 5x86-133 - Ran that sucker at 160Mhz

Socket 7 - K6-3+ 450 (I still have this in hopes of getting a working ASUS P5A and overclocking to 720Mhz) Fastest I ever actually ran in a Socket 7 was the K6-2 550 that I had running at 660Mhz

Socket A - Athlon XP-M Barton 2800+ - currently in my retro rig at a pretty sure motherboard limited 2.2Ghz (KT7A with modded bios to work with Barton) - Have a better motherboard that I am hoping to get a lot more out of it with.

Socket 939 - Opteron 175 running at around 2.2Ghz - Hoping to up my retro rig to a S939 setup at some point as I already have all the parts to do so.

AM2 - Opteron 1218 - used in my old router box which has since been replaced by a faster laptop.

I really enjoyed my xp 2800+ with a lowly 9600 pro, which I upgraded to a x800 pro, it served me well for a couple years when I really got into gaming. Looking back at my newegg order history I had it paired with several motherboards, chaintech, tul, and then finally asus when I "upgraded" to a sempron 3100+ and radeon x1600 xt (my first 512 mb card). I used that setup for a while until I decided to make my first really big upgrade to a windsor Athlon 64 x2 4800+ and a 2600 pro which I still have in my closet. Next was the athlon II days with my x3 740 (unlocked to a 4 core) followed by a 960t (which unlocked to a 1605t) paired with a 4850, then 4870x2, then a 5870, then a 7850, and finally a 280x. AMD has always been my go-to for making my dollars count.

Currently rocking a 8300, and before that a 6300. I'd love to be able to afford the newest intel's every few years, but AMD has served me well.

Ran a 720 triple core at 3.4ghz on a crap board.It did ever thing very well

That's awesome! My first AMD was a Duron lol But I ran cyrix 486 for some time ;)

Back