Best AGP card for a friend with a $200 LIMIT

DR_K13

2[H]4U
So my friend has $200. for a new AGP card. I was thinking about a 6600 or something.

Input please?

Thanks! :)

im wondering this also I have a BFG 6600 GT OC and want to upgrade to something alittle more beefy

Under $200 I'd say either get a used 6800GT or a 6800GS (AGP) for $179. Perhaps a used x800 series card, but then again they lack SM3.0

Moral of the story is I'd go with the 6800GS

quadnad said:
Under $200 I'd say either get a used 6800GT or a 6800GS (AGP) for $179. Perhaps a used x800 series card, but then again they lack SM3.0

Moral of the story is I'd go with the 6800GS

looks good

DR_K13 said:
1- pci-e

2- over 200 bucks

Didn't realise the newegg link was pci e, sorry. Either way, the one the other guy linked to is fine, so as long as you are OK with buying a PNY (horrible warranty, horrible tech support).

As for the $240 x850xt, it would probably be worth it as the card is a significant amount faster than the 6800gs.

Sometimes budgets have to be stretched. I personally think it's worth shelling out an extra $40.

m3ta1head said:
Didn't realise the newegg link was pci e, sorry. Either way, the one the other guy linked to is fine, so as long as you are OK with buying a PNY (horrible warranty, horrible tech support).

though I can't vouch for their tech support, PNY does have a three year warranty, and I'd assume whoever recieves this card isn't going to be running their AGP rig for gaming after another three years. Also, considering the markup on 6800GS prices everywhere else, I think the saved money is worth it.

Otherwise, just give it a froogle if you'd like a different brand. They'll all be closer to the price mark of $200, but perhaps you'll find it worth it.

m3ta1head said:

As for the $240 x850xt, it would probably be worth it as the card is a significant amount faster than the 6800gs.

Sometimes budgets have to be stretched. I personally think it's worth shelling out an extra $40.

I think so too but the kid only has 200 :D

m3ta1head said:
That isn't a GS-it's a 6800nu with DDR2.

Middle of the road. Not quite a 6800nu, not quite a 6800gs.

Probably a bad choice anyhow

whats your suggestion

6800GS is a great bang for the buck AGP card. Probably the last of its kind as higher-end AGP is being phased out.

6800GS, even at stock its great but it can possibly be unlocked and it does overclock well.

If you can find a 6800 GS, that will be your best bet. Maybe a X850XT if you're lucky. If you can't find either, Newegg has an EVGA 6600GT for around $110 that you can use as a fallback card.

Mr. Miyagi said:
If you can find a 6800 GS, that will be your best bet. Maybe a X850XT if you're lucky. If you can't find either, Newegg has an EVGA 6600GT for around $110 that you can use as a fallback card.

Agreed, the 6600gt has fully lived its life, its still a decent card for budget gaming and might save you $80 in the process.

Back