best 27" inch for the money?

Hanif

Limp Gawd
$299 - Samsung SyncMaster 27" LED Monitor with 2ms Response Time (S27B370H)
$359 - LG 27" IPS Monitor (IPS277L)
$299 - Asus VE278Q, 27" LED Widescreen Monitor,
- 1920x1080(full HD), 2ms, 10M:1(ASCR), w/built-in Speaker,
- VGA, DVI, HDMI, and Display Port

These are under my budget
Selling my ASUS VG236 to get a bigger monitor

One of the 27" Korean Monitors

Yamakasi is one of the better ones I think. $350 on ebay.

One of the 27" Korean Monitors

Yamakasi is one of the better ones I think. $350 on ebay.
The Yamakasi Catleap is currently only $310-$320 shipped on Ebay, the Achieva Shimian is only $290 shipped.

OP, search Ebay for "2560x1440" then sort your results by price. The Achieva Shimian and Yamakasi Catleap are the proven models you would be looking for.

And if you do decide to purchase, just select the cheapest one since those two models are very comparable in looks, internal parts and performance (2560x1440 resolution, LG IPS panel and video chipset, etc etc)

Here's the discussion thread for them both: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393&page=101

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Two things of note- the models the OP selected come with real warranties and return policies, and they're 1080p. He's running a GTX560, which will be limited at the 1440p resolution that the Korean monitors use.

Interesting...so the Korean monitors are similiar to the LG except they have a higher resolution? hmm...I'd have to see one on youtube

I don't know if Canada supports 2560x1440. But I think you should be ok.

I think you made a good choice going with high resolution. (I'm also waiting for a 2560x1440 27" I pre-ordered).

EDIT: What do you mean by "will this work in canada"? are you refering to the power adapter?

yes the power adapter

I have a GTX 460 so it should support it

I'm also in the market for a larger monitor (currently have Asus VH222H) and was looking at one of these, but don't really want to drop $300 on it, and have it with problems and no way to return it. Are such issues common? Should I spend my money elsewhere?

Take a look at the Nixeus Vue (2560*1440)on Amazon. They are $499 with VGA, DisplayPort, DL-DVI, HDMI ports and come from an American company with a warranty. Are they any good? I have 3 of them. No problems at all.

Take a look at the Nixeus Vue (2560*1440)on Amazon. They are $499 with VGA, DisplayPort, DL-DVI, HDMI ports and come from an American company with a warranty. Are they any good? I have 3 of them. No problems at all.

If it has more than DVI/HDMI/DP, it has extra input lag from scalers.

That test was using a new testing method that is causing it and other new large monitors to have low contrast ratios results.

Check out their U2713 review, they get the nearly the same results as every other review. I use a similar test pattern in HCFR and it provides normal results. The original CrossOver 2720MDP (reviewed by playerwares) and DGM rebrand (reviewed by TFT Central) also have very low contrast (<500:1), it is not a coincidence that the Nixeus does too.

Last edited:
I haven't had any problems with the Korean monitors. I have owned 4 (3x Crossover, 1x Shimian, all came perfect pixel without paying extra for it).

If your concerned about warranty coverage you can pick up the square trade warranty through ebay for I think $50.

But one thing to note is if you buy from a Korean seller take a look at the return shipping if there is a DOA or anything because most of them only do shipping to you, not back if there is an issue.

I ended up purchasing the 23" ASUS PA238QR

this monitor's human sensor is so annoying! It doesn't work half the time!

Also the monitor is a little grainy

Since the korean monitors are anti-glare, would they be grainy as well?

Not sure exactly what you are referring to as "grainy". I have a Potalion (sp) labelled Korean model and it is a glossy display and I would say it is quite sharp.

Not sure exactly what you are referring to as "grainy". I have a Potalion (sp) labelled Korean model and it is a glossy display and I would say it is quite sharp.

Matte IPS = grainy
Which korean model do you have?
Is it sharp like a retina display?

Since the korean monitors are anti-glare, would they be grainy as well?
The Korean monitors are not anti-glare, they are all glossy, and sharp.

The Achieva Shimian and Yamakasi Catleap also have higher static contrast than most of the other models for whatever reason(s).

Back