Best 19" CRT for $250ish? Also, does ViewSonic suck now?

Murkon

Limp Gawd
My ViewSonic A90 has died after about 3 or 4 years of use. I had hoped it would last longer, but such is life...

On to the questions!

I've got $250ish to spend on a monitor. I need a 19" CRT for gaming that will go nicely with my 6800GT I just ordered.

I've found a ViewSonic G90fb for $234 shipped, which seems like a good deal to me. The Egg also has a Samsung for $199 that also seems like a good deal.

Suggestions?

Also, I've been reading a lot of [H]ardforums posts that are downing ViewSonic monitors. When I bought the A90 that just died ViewSonic was hailed as a good company with quality monitors. Has that changed? As I said earlier I had hoped my A90 would last longer.

To summarize, how should I spend my $250? Does ViewSonic suck?

Check www.craigslist.com for a nice used dell/sony 21" trinitron. They usually go for between $75-150 in my area (minneapolis).

As for Viewsonic, they've always been the default 'decent consumer-grade, store-bought' solution when I've been too lazy to research/wait. They're not the best, they're not the worst.

BTW for $250 you could get a nice deal on a 17" LCD (roughly the same viewable area as a 19" crt)!

I'm sorta anti-LCD unless it can do 1600x1200...and thanks for the link, altho I don't know about getting a used monitor...don't they have like 6 month warrantys?

http://www.accurateit.com/

I got a GDM-5410 from these guys, maybe 3 years ago. It was around 1000-1200$ new at the time, but i got it for 330$ shipped becasue the plastic casing was twisted/melted/dented (I still can't tell), but other than that, the monitor is going awesome. Make you you a get a high grade (their scale) monitor though. Also, I think they do sell new ones.

http://www.accurateit.com/details.asp?iid=35

There is the link to the one I got. A 21" for $225. Though it is a refurb. Make you you look around at all the monitors, they have a very wide selection and the prices can vary wildly. Also, I confirmed that do sell new monitors. And remember, a lot of the monitors from the different branded are actually the exact same ones on the inside.

If you do get a new one, I always get Viewsonic for my customers and I think they are beautiful and perform well.

And one more thing, You might want to some research on NEC/Mitsubushi (sp?) Diamondtron monitors (I think that's what they call them). I've heard many good thing about them.

Ok, this really my last comment...... Gratz for sticking to a CRT instead of an LCD (though that might change as more people post).

EDIT: Okay one more thing, they do have a 6 month warranty.

Keetha said:
...Ok, this really my last comment...... Gratz for sticking to a CRT instead of an LCD (though that might change as more people post).

Oh, don't get me wrong: I love me my 21" Trinitron, but for my use (I move it around a bit and also need the desk space) an LCD made/makes sense.

I agree with these guys, get yourself a Trinitron / Aperture grille based monitor, you'll be happy with the increased brightness & color vibrancy over Shadow Mask based CRTs.

I just bought a G90FB from newegg to replace a 17 inch monitor from 4 years ago I have that was seriously dark and Colors looked washed out even with nvidia's brightness control.This New Monitor made my older comp look alive again.The colors and the sharpness is just amazing.I dont see this monitor dieing any time soon.New games and movies look simply stunning on this monitor.This looks exactly the same if not better than my friends 21 inch flat crt from dell.Now thats quality

im very happy with it. :D and I cant wait to play quake 4 on it.

insanarchist said:
Check www.craigslist.com for a nice used dell/sony 21" trinitron. They usually go for between $75-150 in my area (minneapolis).

As for Viewsonic, they've always been the default 'decent consumer-grade, store-bought' solution when I've been too lazy to research/wait. They're not the best, they're not the worst.

BTW for $250 you could get a nice deal on a 17" LCD (roughly the same viewable area as a 19" crt)!

biggity bingo.

I have a viewsonic p220f (22inch) crt. Only does 75hz at 1600x1200 but otherwise it aint bad. If I could do it again I'd get a refurb sony trinitron.....costs ALOT less....got my backup for 99$ (one on the left)

Ride the discount CRT wave while all these college students with small fiberboard desks buy LCD's :D

The refurbs are amazing deals. The lack of a longer warranty is a little scary though. I've noticed a lot of sites say they test them for 24 hours and that the monitor might come with dings/scratches...

How risky is it to buy a refurb w/o a long warranty?

Back