Best 1155 MB for overclocking CPU & GPU

Carisma

Weaksauce
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some help picking a motherboard for my upcoming build. The list below are the things I am looking for in the motherboard.

-would prefer a mATX board over a ATX board
-the ability to overclock the CPU
-the ability to overclock the GPU
-the ability to fit up to 3 or 4 GPUs
-the ability to update the BIOS in preparation for Ivy Bridge
-4 or more slots for RAM

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

~Geran

Last edited:
You will not fit 4 discrete cards on any mATX 1155 board. Most 1155 boards will not support 3 or 4 discrete cards. Those that do are all ATX size, with the NF200 chip.

Now, if you're fine with something like the 6990 or GTX 590, get the Maximus IV Gene-Z. That is the best overclocking mATX board you can get.

All 1155 boards are limited to 4 RAM slots. Socket/design limit. Almost all boards will have the full 4 RAM slots.

Overclocking the GPU is completely independent of the motherboard used. Should not even be a concern.

You will not fit 4 discrete cards on any mATX 1155 board. Most 1155 boards will not support 3 or 4 discrete cards. Those that do are all ATX size, with the NF200 chip.
In that case I will go for a ATX board then. :)
Now, if you're fine with something like the 6990 or GTX 590, get the Maximus IV Gene-Z. That is the best overclocking mATX board you can get.
Currently it will have two 6970s and I hope to add 1-2 7xxx cards when they get released.
All 1155 boards are limited to 4 RAM slots. Socket/design limit. Almost all boards will have the full 4 RAM slots.
Good to know.
Overclocking the GPU is completely independent of the motherboard used. Should not even be a concern.
Also good to know. I read that
P67 boards didn't overclock the GPU as good as others.
maximus 4 gene z has a daughter board available....
Which board is that?

Back