Bent PCB 4870x2

Exocet956

[H]ard|Gawd
I purchased a Visiontek 4870x2 from NCIXUS.com and the first thing I noticed when I was installing the video card was the pcb was bent at the right hand corner of the card by the 8 pin pci-e power connector. Thinking that it was a manufacturing defect I proceeded to install the card and I have spend the last few days trying everything I know to get the card to work. I have tried every driver I could lay hands on including the beta drivers.
I followed all the steps recommended by people here to make sure it was a clean driver install but to no avail. The card either A. Shuts the computer off (not down or reboot a hard power off) after about 2-5 min in any game. or B. the computer locks up. I also purchased a corsair hx 1000w which is now currently powering the video card so I don't believe power supply is a issue. All 3d is completely dead stick. Now this brings me to the conclusion that a. the card is defective or b. The card was damaged in shipping. I did purchase the addition shipping express RMA insurance the NCIX recommends. I have already contacted visiontek and they recommended that I contact the point of purchase for a RMA. I am also currently working with NCIXUS to resolve this issue. My question to you guys is this most likely a defective card or a clear case of shipping damage?

My system specs
Asus Maximus Formula x38
Intel Q9450 2.66 ghz @ 3.4 ( not a overclock issue Prime 95 stable for 2+ weeks at clock speed)
8gb Gskill ddr2 1000 @ 850
Visiontek HD 4870x2
Creative SB XFI Xtreme music
Dell Perc 5/i (with tape mod for intel Chipsets)
8x 250gb WD RE hard drives
2x dvd burners
2x dvd-roms
1000w Corsiar HX 1000

Pictures of Possibly Damaged card and its shipping box. ( In my opinion the items were packaged poorly. )

Video card:
IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3145.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3154.jpg

Visiontek Box
IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

Card and box
IMG_3157.jpg

Shipping box
IMG_3166-1.jpg

IMG_3171-1.jpg

IMG_3176-1.jpg

IMG_3178-1.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

Defective card to be honest, I've seen boxes far more damaged and yet had zero issues with items shipped (video cards,CPU's,ram,motherboards) and that box damage is min at best. Unless someone at the point of shipping threw the card around and even then the packing could have absorbed a large amount of that force since the 4870X2's are packed decently.

I would RMA that sucker right back to who you bought it from.

damn that sucks man

well i think that throwing two expensive items in a box and using only the minimum amount of airbags on only 3 sides was clearly a problem. the items were stacked one on top of the items in the box with no packing on the bottom of the box which is were it looks to have the worst of the crush damage. I have looked at every else's 4870x2 pictures and have come to he conclusion that a bent pcb is unacceptable.

Has anyone else here bought from them? This is the first thing i have bought from NCIX what exactly does the express rma insurance they push cover only shipping?

Bought a visiontek 4870x2 @ bestbuy.com couple of heatfins broken rattling around in the bag..Then I bought a replacement visiontek 4870x2 @ mwave.com, pcb is chipped off rattling inside the anti static bag.. YAY its a sign for me not to have a 4870x2 :) (both instances the box were in perfect condition)

maybe ill just pick up a 4850

I had the same issue with several of the "heatpins" broken off in the bag. Does anyone know if Visiontek fixes this for you on their dime? The box was perfect. Ironically, I got 2 X2's, and this was the box that was in better shape.

I would exchange with Best Buy, but I got in on the Best Buy online deal and they don't exchanges :(

I had the same issue with several of the "heatpins" broken off in the bag. Does anyone know if Visiontek fixes this for you on their dime? The box was perfect. Ironically, I got 2 X2's, and this was the box that was in better shape.

I would exchange with Best Buy, but I got in on the Best Buy online deal and they don't exchanges :(

Visiontek quality control, bad packing or over zealous fedex/ups guy. Any way you slice it i got a $500 paperweight. :( I just want a working card at this point. i could handle immature drivers but a defective card is a major issue for me. Good thing visiontek has a lifetime warranty something tells me ill need it.

Has anyone else here bought from them? This is the first thing i have bought from NCIX what exactly does the express rma insurance they push cover only shipping?

I believe NCIX will cross ship if you purchased express RMA.

I believe NCIX will cross ship if you purchased express RMA.

I hope that means defective cards not just shipping damage. I would hate to have them say its not shipping damage and then have to go through the standard RMA.

Visiontek will repair or replace the video card for free as long as you provide a copy of your receipt... but you have to pay for the shipping to their repair center and also provide a check or money order for $10 to ship the item back to you.

Don't blame visiontek because it was ncixus that packed it and it was fedex that may of damaged it. That's one of the reasons why I decided to choose Express mail option for only $15 more at best buy. That means it's pretty much in the air for the most part, and won't be handled with too long. The express option was next day ups delivery, and was well worth it IMO.

Visiontek will repair or replace the video card for free as long as you provide a copy of your receipt... but you have to pay for the shipping to their repair center and also provide a check or money order for $10 to ship the item back to you.

Thanks for this info. Sounds like it would cost a total of maybe ~$25 with a couple weeks of downtime to get it fixed. The card itself is working fine, so probably not worth it for me unless it begins to choke when I start overclocking. I could have gotten express shipping, but there's no guarantee the heatpins didn't break from Visiontek on the way to Best Buy...

So is it more likely to be defective card rather that a card damaged by shipping? I'm currently leaning towards plain defective but i wanted to seek a second opinion.

Have you updated your bios? I had to update my DFI x48 board with a beta bios before even booting up with my card. Had to swap my cards back and forth until it worked.

Edit: I mean the board literally wouldn't boot with the X2 until I flashed the new bios in.

i got one from ncixus also. the front of the card, under the dvi ports, was bent and such, but i applied a small amount of force and pushed it back and it worked. but again, im not enjoying my 4870 x2 very much at all, so it might just go back anyway,

Who cares what the problem is. If you aren't happy with it, or it doesn't work -- send it back. The box is clearly damaged.

I'm hoping this "express rma insurance" covers more than just shipping damage. I have emailed the company pictures of the card, the retail visiontek box, and the shipping box. All i really want is a advanced rma replacement or cross ship. If the card is determined to be not damaged in shipping and the insurance only covers shipping damage I will be out of luck. I will have to do a standard rma. I just want a working card. I can handle driver teething issues I guess I'm just getting impatient with having a expensive doorstop. The card was fairly impressive for all the 5 min that it actually worked :mad:

It has whet my appetite for performance and i always have bad luck with standard rma's taking the absolute maximum amount of time. So far NCIX has been great to work with the exception that if you try to call the tech support unit you have about 3 rings or about a minute before you are shuttled to voicemail. I have left several messages with them and they never call you back. Fortunately they seem much more responsive to mail and their online ticket submission system. I prefer to work on the phone as it can be a pain to describe issues in email and then have to wait for responses. Some shops take forever to respond to email.

I bought mine from NCIXUS with fedex overnight and it got here in fine condition

i doubt it's NCIXUS' fault, most likely fedex's. they almost destroyed my case

looks to me like the card was already like that in the box.... i think the box would have to be alot more smashed to bend the card like that.

Back