BenQ XL2420G, g-sync on newegg.

Looks like it has HDMI input for consoles and the like. Wish the Swift had that :/
Where are you seeing that? Its says display port only on newegg. And I dont know whats going on with the product page on the BenQ site as it says DVI and display port in specs there. Still even there shows no HDMI so again not sure where you are looking.

Where are you seeing that? Its says display port only on newegg. And I dont know whats going on with the product page on the BenQ site as it says DVI and display port in specs there. Still even there shows no HDMI so again not sure where you are looking.

Look at the pictures.

There's an up close shot of the inputs.

D-SUB x 1
DVI x 1
HDMI x 2
USB x 2

If that pic is inaccurate, ok, but thats what it shows clearly

Look at the pictures.

There's an up close shot of the inputs.

D-SUB x 1
DVI x 1
HDMI x 2
USB x 2

If that pic is inaccurate, ok, but thats what it shows clearly
Well it will have to have display port for gsync so that's clearly not a pic of this monitor.

Look at the BenQ page. The "Hybrid Engine" is about taking the Gsync module and combining it with traditional features like HDMI.

Look at the BenQ page. The "Hybrid Engine" is about taking the Gsync module and combining it with traditional features like HDMI.
I see Hybrid Engine mentioned on BenQ site but nothing about HDMI. In fact when I search the page there HDMI does not come up at all. Only in the gallery does it show HDMI but clearly that is not the correct pic.

Click the specifications tab on the BenQ page.

Input / Output Connector DVI-DL / HDMIx2 /
DP1.2 / Headphone Jack

Click the specifications tab on the BenQ page.

Input / Output Connector DVI-DL / HDMIx2 /
DP1.2 / Headphone Jack
Yeah I see that now on that page. Still dont see anything about it related to Hybrid Engine but maybe I am blind. oh well off to bed here...

About time, took them long enough...

What I'm interested in knowing exactly which settings can/cannot be used while GSync is activated. This "hybrid engine" makes it sound like it can't do every Benq feature at the same time so you will have to pick between certain features.

Nvm, should have checked the newegg description, it answered my question:
7268bfd2-75cc-46da-a876-5afa273451a8.png.w960.png

Basically not losing anything of very useful while using GSYNC, only some pro CS gamers might whine that they can't do Smart Scaling (4:3) while wanting to use GSYNC (ULMB). :p Yes I've seen some players actually do that...

So wonder which one 1080p gsync monitor will be "the one". So far it stands for me without having read measurements and reviews between the Philips and this, 27" vs 24" though but I'd personally take 24" over 27" for 1080p, I use 1080p @ 27" at work so I know what kind of obvious pixelization it leads to when sitting under 1 meter away.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they can pull it off by literally having two entire sets of circuitry in the panel housing, one is the g-sync via displayport, the other is their traditional setup with all the other inputs (pulled from XL2411Z and XL2420Z probably). Probably some switch to go between the two, both circuits feeding the same panel (but not at the same time).

Does g-sync really contribute to such hefty price increase? And then AMD says that their adaptive/freesync will only make the screen $20 more expensive.

Does g-sync really contribute to such hefty price increase? And then AMD says that their adaptive/freesync will only make the screen $20 more expensive.

Probably not once adaptive sync is out but guess they will milk the maximum possible cash as long as it remains competitor-free and then we will start seeing 100-$150 reductions in price on the GSYNC monitors that's appearing now.

Adaptive-sync is probably a year or so away though I expect (no I don't believe in all that optimistic talk about its schedule) which is quite a long time to wait if you're really in for a need of a new monitor now.

I'm guessing they can pull it off by literally having two entire sets of circuitry in the panel housing, one is the g-sync via displayport, the other is their traditional setup with all the other inputs (pulled from XL2411Z and XL2420Z probably). Probably some switch to go between the two, both circuits feeding the same panel (but not at the same time).

Yeah very likely - that's probably only way to have more than display port at the same time

This one is supper expensive because it most likely has two sets of electronics inside.

Also don't buy too easily into AMD marketing bullshit - it's 20$ in materials costs not what consumer will pay for it.

Wait, can ULMB & G-sync actually be used at the same time on this monitor? They really make it sound like it and that would be a first, AFAIK.

edit : reading blurbusters, it still seems to be one or the other.

Last edited:
I would get one if the colors are better then the 24" ASUS.....Would like to see like 150.00 off the price since it's close to the ROG Swift in price and the 4K ACER.

Benq knew full well that Nvidia/Asus were digging themselves into a hole by forcing a Gsync module with displayport only, which means poor adaptability and even fewer options to tweaking the display to your liking. And no blur reduction for 60 hz games/60 FPS locked games and consoles via ULMB, so benq combined their Z series monitor hardware with being able to switch it for Nvidia's Gsync module if you want Gsync. Gsync is basically a pure Nvidia designed hardware spec, which is probably why people are going to jump ship when AMD's Vesa standaradized freesync comes out.

Basically, if you want a Gsync 24" screen, get the Benq, period. That way you get gsync while sacrificing NOTHING from the existing Z series and you also don't have the issues that the Swift has. If you want a 27" 1400p gsync monitor, then you have to go with the Asus, but you lose a lot of flexibility (you cant even adjust gamma on the Swift, you CAN on the Benq (in Z series mode, of course... Gsync mode doesn't allow that).

Wait, can ULMB & G-sync actually be used at the same time on this monitor? They really make it sound like it and that would be a first, AFAIK.

edit : reading blurbusters, it still seems to be one or the other.

No, ulmb and gsync are incompatible. The only way they would ever work together would be to have a strobing backlight that can dynamically adjust itself, and that would cause a lot of issues--have you seen Benq blur reduction at 60 hz? It works but it flickers just like a 60 hz CRT...now try BBR at 50 hz...compared to 60 hz, 50 hz will literally give you a seizure. Can you imagine what would happen at 30 fps?

Remember gsync is NOT designed by Benq. It's designed by Nvidia with Nvidia's hardware. Benq can't make gsync and ulmb work together.

All they mean is that you can switch between the single-input G-SYNC module and whatever their usual hardware is. The G-SYNC board handles ULMB as well as the actual G-SYNC feature. That graphic is rather confusing, to be sure.

Yep, exactly.
So basically if you're using an AMD card, you just use it as a Z series model with blur reduction (NOT sure if it has the BBR 2.0, that is in the 2430T, although there currently isn't ANY information on to its improvements, e.g. lower overdrive/AMA settings, etc), and you can use your DVI connection, and tweak/gamma/color balance to your content.

The gsync module is NVidia hardware only, and does NOT have a scaler (there's a thread about this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1521969/...armful-for-gaming-performance-in-current-form <-), and the adjustments you can make are limited.

AMD's freesync is an open design and hopefully won't be locked like this.

$600? Why not just spend the extra $200 and get the ASUS 1440p at 144hz. That's too expensive period.

I dont see a reason for it to be cheaper. Most of gsync monitors are more than 600$. Why should this monitor with even better features be cheaper than them?

Lets see what Asus has to offer for their premium price.

Asus PG278Q
+1440p resolution
-only DisplayPort
-problems with backlight bleeding
-price

BenQ XL2420G
+DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI
+gsync mode and classic mode
+24" (personal preference for some people, including me)
+price
-1080p resolution

Im still waiting for a proper review of the XL2420G, but at the moment I prefer the BenQ.

Benq knew full well that Nvidia/Asus were digging themselves into a hole by forcing a Gsync module with displayport only, which means poor adaptability and even fewer options to tweaking the display to your liking. And no blur reduction for 60 hz games/60 FPS locked games and consoles via ULMB, so benq combined their Z series monitor hardware with being able to switch it for Nvidia's Gsync module if you want Gsync. Gsync is basically a pure Nvidia designed hardware spec, which is probably why people are going to jump ship when AMD's Vesa standaradized freesync comes out.

Basically, if you want a Gsync 24" screen, get the Benq, period. That way you get gsync while sacrificing NOTHING from the existing Z series and you also don't have the issues that the Swift has. If you want a 27" 1400p gsync monitor, then you have to go with the Asus, but you lose a lot of flexibility (you cant even adjust gamma on the Swift, you CAN on the Benq (in Z series mode, of course... Gsync mode doesn't allow that).

all of this is fanfic bullshit. "forcing a Gsync module with displayport only" lol (it's only possible with displayport)

I don't see why DisplayPort-only for a PC monitor is a bad thing? A Kepler-generation card is the minimum requirement for GSync, anyway, and every NVIDIA card released since then have had a DP output.

I also have a feeling this is using the same panels from the previous XL-series monitors, meaning 6-bit+FRC and poorer-than-usual contrast for a TN.

$600 for a 1080p, TN monitor LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

someone PLEASE, for the love of god, explain to me how gsync is worth $310. please. i am dying to know. PLEASE tell me why someone would buy this instead of just spending $200 more for a pg278q. PLEASE.

I dont see a reason for it to be cheaper. Most of gsync monitors are more than 600$. Why should this monitor with even better features be cheaper than them?

Lets see what Asus has to offer for their premium price.

Asus PG278Q
+1440p resolution
-only DisplayPort
-problems with backlight bleeding
-price

BenQ XL2420G
+DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI
+gsync mode and classic mode
+24" (personal preference for some people, including me)
+price
-1080p resolution

Im still waiting for a proper review of the XL2420G, but at the moment I prefer the BenQ.

dude, LOL. i hope benq isn't paying you well, because you're doing a really shit job of blending in. let your buddies know that this thing is a giant fucking turd, and no one's buying into it.

Last edited:

someone PLEASE, for the love of god, explain to me how gsync is worth $310. please. i am dying to know. PLEASE tell me why someone would buy this instead of just spending $200 more for a pg278q. PLEASE.

dude, LOL. i hope benq isn't paying you well, because you're doing a really shit job of blending in. let your buddies know that this thing is a giant fucking turd, and no one's buying into it.
It is his first and only post. I think I posted like 20 times in a couple of hours the first day I joined...

justsaying :p.

im not saying its not expensive man, im saying that when you look at all the other gsync monitors, the price isnt very different.

for me personally its good to have HDMI for console and DisplayPort for my pc.

also youd rather pay $200 more to get backlight bleeding in your monitor. thats clever

im not saying its not expensive man, im saying that when you look at all the other gsync monitors, the price isnt very different.

also youd rather pay $200 more to get backlight bleeding in your monitor. thats clever
The PG278Q has brightness uniformity issues, not backlight bleed when calibrated to 120 nits...
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/asus_rog_swift_pg278q/P1060917.JPG
http://hardforum.com/search.php?searchid=27694731

get banned

Glad to see another G-Sync monitor in the market. Would love to see some comparison regarding it's color accuracy and view angle (well I was told that not all TN are made the same).

Glad to see another G-Sync monitor in the market. Would love to see some comparison regarding it's color accuracy and view angle (well I was told that not all TN are made the same).

From what I understand this is essentially the XL2420Z with an Nvidia chip on board. You might look at the reviews for that.

From what I understand this is essentially the XL2420Z with an Nvidia chip on board. You might look at the reviews for that.

"From what I understand..."

Right there goes the credibility to this statement, is the source, your head? :p

"From what I understand..."

Right there goes the credibility to this statement, is the source, your head? :p

Not going to dig out the sources for you, but BenQ's been using the same panel for a while on its 24" XL models. Its characteristics aren't going to change very much, G-Sync module or not.

What exactly is your problem?
If you don't like that someone else has a different opinion than you and who likes this monitor, maybe you should find another forum ?

it's pretty clear what my problem is.

I just ordered one of these today to go along with my recent X99 build, so i will be back with a report soon :)

Back