Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

Linus I think hit it on the head. It's a great size/resolution if you like to sit back etc, but for normal computer viewing distances the pixels are a bit large this day and age. 32" would befit 4K resolution much better. Going from my 24" 4K to a 32" 1440P monitor would be quite dramatic in image clarity!
The pixels are not too large though, in my opinion. Many people happily use 27 inch 1080p monitors and the BenQ BL3200PT does better than that. At 32 inch 1440p, it has a similar PPI as a mainstream 24 inch 1080p monitor:

32 inch 1440p = 91.79 PPI.
27 inch 1080p = 81.59 PPI.
24 inch 1080p = 91.79 PPI.

Obviously, this is much worse than your 24 inch 4K screen with its enormous PPI of 183.58. But such a screen has many downsides too. The IU scaling issues hurt readability and you'll need extremely powerful hardware to game at such a resolution. Many 4K screens currently on the market don't have such a great picture quality, either. The cheap ones are TN based and the more expensive ones suffer from IPS glow. So it really depends what a person wants. I don't mind the lower resolution of the BenQ. As a gamer, I even see it as an advantage.

Tomb Raider's benchmark picture taken with my Canon S100

Looks smashing. That's awesome you got your camera and started shooting. It feels weird at first to be taking all these photos of a display trying to get a good shot, but you get into it, start telling the monitor to pose and stuff, "grrr baby very grrr"

Seriously, these are the photos I wanted to see. Thanks man.

Looks smashing. That's awesome you got your camera and started shooting. It feels weird at first to be taking all these photos of a display trying to get a good shot, but you get into it, start telling the monitor to pose and stuff, "grrr baby very grrr"

Seriously, these are the photos I wanted to see. Thanks man.

You are welcome! :)

It took me several shot to find the right light and angle.
Best result:
- ISO 800
- ambient light on
- flash on, with a magazine in front of it to deviate the light to the ceiling
...and some taunting: come on baby, show that pretty face of yours...

Linus I think hit it on the head. It's a great size/resolution if you like to sit back etc, but for normal computer viewing distances the pixels are a bit large this day and age. 32" would befit 4K resolution much better. Going from my 24" 4K to a 32" 1440P monitor would be quite dramatic in image clarity!

I was about to ask you, how do you manage a 4k..? :confused:
...then I saw your PC specs...:eek:
I officially hate/love you. :mad:/:D
How many FPS you can squeeze out of it at 4k on the latest games?

Last edited:
Recived mine today.

1. the included cables: they are all too short, 1.5m each. Had to use my own cables to connect it to PC and to power.

2. I had a problem with display-port at first. Right after connecting the display via DP to PC and booting up both, my displays screen was flickering with artifacts. Tried different cable, same thing. After connecting the display to PC via DVI and later going back to DP seem to fixed the problem.
Tweaked then all settings as suggested by tftcentral.co.uk, except the brightness, since at 26 the whites are too grey. Also used their ICC profile.

3. Internal speakers: well they are ok i guess, but nothing to write home about. Just a standard cheap "tin can" sound as expected, but they do their work :)

4. i have a of group of 11 darker spots at the bottom right corner (about 2,5cm / 1inch area is affected). Looks like dust/dirt particles got behind the coating or something like that. Thinking about RMAing the display because of it:
kWZ7jWS.jpg

5. I have also those vertical bands hat were mentioned by Xr7 and skuko.
Here is an image from Xr7, since i wasnt been able to catch it on camera:
http://s42.photobucket.com/user/xjustmex21/media/test_zps052d1e27.jpg.html
Its very subtle and not visible if you look at it dead center, only from a side. Also you have to look for it to see it. I dont really have a problem with it.

6. You can run the display at 75Hz, but you get a lot of dropped frames.

7. Gaming: Well its not a 120Hz TN screen, but i had no problem with fast games (TF2, CS) or slower paced games. Everything works as expected.

i love this screen so far (aside from the party of dirty pixels on the right bottom corner of the screen...)

Last edited:
I would ask for a replacement if I were you. This is not normal. You paid a lot of money and the monitor shouldn't have any obvious defects. It's almost as if an entire vertical row of pixels is defective. The DisplayPort issue is also weird, but maybe your videocard is to blame. Only thing that sucks about an RMA, besides the waiting time, is that your replacement could have real dead pixels, worse uniformity or other issues. It's always a gamble. But then again, if you're not happy with the new one, you could exchange that one too.

P.S.

Have you tried pressing the bezel around that area? What happens if you gently massage the area directly? It's a long shot, but maybe the dirt, or whatever it is, goes away.

@[X]eltic
Already tried massaging, but it does nothing. Beside this flaw, the display has great uniformity no dead or stuck pixels and no bleeding...
Like you said RMA is always a gamble and cost nerves. Gonna decide over the weekend.

@[X]eltic
Already tried massaging, but it does nothing. Beside this flaw, the display has great uniformity no dead or stuck pixels and no bleeding...
Like you said RMA is always a gamble and cost nerves. Gonna decide over the weekend.

I feel very lucky since I received a flawless display from a cheap vendor that doesn't accept RMA...
BTW if were you I won't send it back just for the black particle at the border unless the DP issue shows up again.

I've decided to keep mine, No bad pixels and very small BLB. Overall it's much easier on my eyes than the 27 inch 1440p monitor I had before it.

I've decided to keep mine, No bad pixels and very small BLB. Overall it's much easier on my eyes than the 27 inch 1440p monitor I had before it.
So the faint vertical bands you talked about earlier are not bothersome in everyday use? You got used to it?

Another question: do you notice any glow in the corners when you have the [H]ard|Forum in full screen, like this guy?

What about gaming? Objectively, the screen is quite slow, but subjectively, do you notice any ghosting or input lag?

To be honest I can't see them except the log in screen. I think I may just need to change that green color.

Maybe just a touch? It's not notable on mine.

It must be quite an experience to sit in front of such a huge screen, right?

Can't wait to get mine! :)

[X]eltic;1040848616 said:
Obviously, this is much worse than your 24 inch 4K screen with its enormous PPI of 183.58. But such a screen has many downsides too. The IU scaling issues hurt readability and you'll need extremely powerful hardware to game at such a resolution. Many 4K screens currently on the market don't have such a great picture quality, either. The cheap ones are TN based and the more expensive ones suffer from IPS glow.

BenQ (AUOptronics) are releasing a 4K 32" AHVA in Q3. It should be better than the current IGZO's with 240hz PWM, 800:1 and terrible bleed.
Whats the word on that? :confused:

[X]eltic;1040850629 said:
It must be quite an experience to sit in front of such a huge screen, right?

Can't wait to get mine! :)

In the past I have used 1080p 32 inch tv's as monitors. I had dropped back to 27 because 1080p at 32 was a little rough around the edges. It's great to be back at this size with 1440p and all the things a monitor can do better than a tv.

Good to hear. I was interested in the picture quality. PS4 output of games is 1080p, but the screen's native resolution is 1440p. This means the PS4 output is interpolated, which could reduce sharpness. So this is not a problem?

Recived mine today.

1. the included cables: they are all too short, 1.5m each. Had to use my own cables to connect it to PC and to power.

2. I had a problem with display-port at first. Right after connecting the display via DP to PC and booting up both, my displays screen was flickering with artifacts. Tried different cable, same thing. After connecting the display to PC via DVI and later going back to DP seem to fixed the problem.
Tweaked then all settings as suggested by tftcentral.co.uk, except the brightness, since at 26 the whites are too grey. Also used their ICC profile.

3. Internal speakers: well they are ok i guess, but nothing to write home about. Just a standard cheap "tin can" sound as expected, but they do their work :)

4. i have a of group of 11 darker spots at the bottom right corner (about 2,5cm / 1inch area is affected). Looks like dust/dirt particles got behind the coating or something like that. Thinking about RMAing the display because of it:
kWZ7jWS.jpg

5. I have also those vertical bands hat were mentioned by Xr7 and skuko.
Here is an image from Xr7, since i wasnt been able to catch it on camera:
http://s42.photobucket.com/user/xjustmex21/media/test_zps052d1e27.jpg.html
Its very subtle and not visible if you look at it dead center, only from a side. Also you have to look for it to see it. I dont really have a problem with it.

6. You can run the display at 75Hz, but you get a lot of dropped frames.

7. Gaming: Well its not a 120Hz TN screen, but i had no problem with fast games (TF2, CS) or slower paced games. Everything works as expected.

i love this screen so far (aside from the party of dirty pixels on the right bottom corner of the screen...)

If I were you, get it replaced. I had the same problem on my first unit. Mine had 3 black spots visible on a white background. It was 3 specks of dust trapped under the coating. One in the middle, upper left and off center left. Newegg replaced the unit for me. Unfortunately the replacement unit had bad lower left and upper right corner bleed. Newegg was out of stock so they couldn't replace it again and offered a refund. I then contacted Benq. They offered to replace it with a new unit since it was less than 30 days old. Since I live in Southern CaIfornia I made the 50 mile drive to their service center. They pulled a new unit from their stock and let me set it up in a darkened room and test it to make sure it was a good unit. It was absolutely perfect. No bleed, dust or any panel issues so I took it home. Great support and customer service and I am very happy with the unit.

[X]eltic;1040850859 said:
Good to hear. I was interested in the picture quality. PS4 output of games is 1080p, but the screen's native resolution is 1440p. This means the PS4 output is interpolated, which could reduce sharpness. So this is not a problem?

Would it be better is they resolutions matched? Absolutely but it still looks very good.

Amazon now says 1-2 months for new orders. The other merchants skyrocketed their price, and Amazon now has it at $797.

My order was $752 and it estimates June 9-19th. This monitor seems to have some huge demand.

Yup, my order was initially 2-3 days and it went to 10+ days. I hope to receive it on thursday or friday now.

Just snagged the last one from the BenQ store this morning. $723 with 5-8 business day shipping. Should come around the first week of June hopefully.

dammit, i think i might return mine :(

i'm just too OCD about those lighter bands, can always see them when i'm playing planetside, looks like smears on the screen lol. ARGH i so wanna keep it!

[X]eltic;1040850612 said:
Another question: do you notice any glow in the corners when you have the [H]ard|Forum in full screen, like this guy?

Perhaps I should elaborate this little more, since I feel I have left you confused.

It is not glow, it is LIKE A glow. It is very rare thing seen just on dark grey surface.
(Black is black, and I mean dead black all across the LCD.) I am actually only able to notice that in HardForum. You can imagine it like my post being somewhat lighter on sides than in the center.

It is not "corner thing". The whole left/right border is somewhat lighter.

That being said, if you are not into some color critical work, I would not even bother about that. This is definitely great monitor, if you are lucky to get one with no quality issues.
If I will return mine (because of uneven backligt), then I will definitely secure another one (or maybe sister acer B326HUL that is cheaper). There is simply no way back.

When i compare the pictures on tftcentral between bl27 and bl32, the white tint when viewed from a wide angle is on the bl32 a lot better than on the bl27.

Can anyone confirm this or is this under so called serial dispersion?

When i compare the pictures on tftcentral between bl27 and bl32, the white tint when viewed from a wide angle is on the bl32 a lot better than on the bl27.

Can anyone confirm this or is this under so called serial dispersion?

They are different panel types, but they look really close to me in viewing angles with the BL32 looking slightly better based on those reviews. The biggest thing here is the BL32 is 2454:1 contrast, the BL27 is only 788:1. The BL32 should produce a much better picture, in theory.

Unless you really want the ~16PPI you gain from 1440p on a 27" screen, the BL32 seems quite a bit better overall.

Last edited:
Holy shit, why did I not know about this monitor until now? Not sure if I want to give up native 1080p for movies, though...

I'm very interested in this as a long time VA user. I've learnt to tolerate the slow responses on my BenQ EW30 and this is way faster than that according to TFT Central. It's better in pretty much every way. I think 32" might be too big for me, but otherwise the monitor seems sweet.

I've decided to return mine. I have had 2 VA monitors before this and never had this much of a uniformity issue. I think it's just one of those things that once you have seen it you can't forget about it.

If I were you, get it replaced. I had the same problem on my first unit. Mine had 3 black spots visible on a white background. It was 3 specks of dust trapped under the coating. One in the middle, upper left and off center left. Newegg replaced the unit for me. Unfortunately the replacement unit had bad lower left and upper right corner bleed. Newegg was out of stock so they couldn't replace it again and offered a refund. I then contacted Benq. They offered to replace it with a new unit since it was less than 30 days old. Since I live in Southern CaIfornia I made the 50 mile drive to their service center. They pulled a new unit from their stock and let me set it up in a darkened room and test it to make sure it was a good unit. It was absolutely perfect. No bleed, dust or any panel issues so I took it home. Great support and customer service and I am very happy with the unit.

Yeah, I've decided to go through with RMA.
Doing it through the reseller requires me to send them the display, wait till they check it and send me a new one, which probaly will take 2 weeks in total :/ (sucks).
Does anyone know if BenQ does the exchange on site if you do the RMA directly through Benq?

Also after using the display over the weekend, i have now noticed one dead pixel in top left quadrant, which I'm not really sure was there before, since i checked the display on arrival...

I hate RMAs...Not frikken once had a good display right out the box...lucky me...

I've decided to return mine. I have had 2 VA monitors before this and never had this much of a uniformity issue. I think it's just one of those things that once you have seen it you can't forget about it.
Sorry to hear that. What do you plan on getting instead? I originally planned to get the LG UM95, but seeing the over the top IPS-Glow decided against it.
Otherwise there is no real alternatives atm for a large decent display...

I'll just go back to the dell monitor I have for now and hope for something better down the line.

I just had a great full gaming week-end with this monitor, and I love it.
Sorry guys gut, the more I hear about your defective ones, the luckier I feel to own a flawless one.

Amazon just did another major price hike, $899 now. 3-6 weeks.

I just had a great full gaming week-end with this monitor, and I love it.
Sorry guys gut, the more I hear about your defective ones, the luckier I feel to own a flawless one.

I'm actually guessing your monitor is more or less the same as theirs. No monitor is perfect/flawless, and going to a new monitor will always seem weird at first for most people. I absolutely hated my current display at first because of a few cons, but I dealt with them for a month and stopped noticing them. Now i've had trouble finding a replacement for over a year because they all seem worse, but in reality i'm just use to my display. Lots of times people will return a monitor and go back to their old display, only to find it wasn't as perfect as they thought it was.

Last edited:
Back