benchmarks of raid-z vs raid-5 ??

I assume the raid-5/6 is going to be mostly a factor of the card involved (if this is hardware raid), so any raid card benchmark is probably going to be reasonable. So really you just need a raid card benchmark and some ZFS benchmarks with the same number of spindles (and preferrably not cpu/memory limited for ZFS).

If you want software raid-5/software raid-z FreeBSD might be your best bet - it's ZFS implementation is relatively solid, and I assume it's traditional raid-5/6 is as well. That's probably your best bet of getting a back to back comparison on the same hardware.

If you are looking for IOPS though tossing a fast SSD on the ZFS system for L2ARC and another for ZIL is going to shoot the effective IOPS of the system through the roof, especially once the ARC is filled. Raid cards with a BBU and a good bit of cache can speed up their write performance there, but I don't know of any that implement any sort of tiered storage (you typically have to step up to a SAN type setup for that).

exactly.
the few benchmarks i have found are old and/or are very limiting to either RAID (shitty controller) or ZFS (far from enough ram)

i understand the limitations of both, i am trying to locate benchmarks that someone else has made

Back