Bellsouth ADSL

Trikzy

Limp Gawd
Just signed up for DSL Extreme( 3mb down 3?? up) upgrading from DSL Ultra(1.5/256)...only 5 bux more than the ultra. Check availability

Seems to me like a [H]ot deal, only 5 bux more and getting twice the download speed and 1/4 the upload speed.

price for teh dsl is 49.99 + whatever options you have on your phone bill...

dsl ultra is 44.95

i love it, i get about 2.5mb but its constant. $55 a month - discounts. I love it

I second that, ive had it for 2 months, very very fast and up all the time. I moved from earthlink because they could not offer me anything faster than 1.5. I got dropped all the time with earthlink and ive only had one drop in 2 months with bellsouth. I also get it for 55, with a static ip, unlike earthlink charging you 15 more buck for a static ip. I also got around 225 in rebates, 100 for the modem, 50 for activation, 75 for signing up online. So it actually paid me to sign up and i pay 5 bucks less a month than earthlink. But ive heard of a downside, they dont allow you to run public servers or services.....but im sure there are work arounds.

I used to work for DSL tech support for Bellsouth, and I could have gotten a discount, but I
kept my cable :)

OH YEAH, most outage issues happened in Florida and Georga, so I would advise against getting BS ADSL if you are in those areas.

Im in florida and i have had maby 1 outage in the past 3 months, though in the pas 2 weeks ive gotten e-mail about they dooing service between 1am and liek 6 . Otherwise it i perfect, and i used to run a webserver and a UO server on my comp and never had problems

i've used dsl in georgia for about 3 years...might have been down a tops of 5 times in that amount of time...and when it did it wasn't for any amount of time to complain about.

I've got the standard service and Im going to get the extreme soon. Service has been great for the whole year but the only thing I can't stand is the crap modem they give out. Its got its own firewall and the configuration is horrid. Otherwise its pretty good.

the westell wirespeed dual connect? I have it and it or my router has saved me from getting any kind of virus on my computer..so i'm happy with it.

i have the westell wirespeed dual connect, and i love it. It is a great modem with built in routing, firewall, dmw, port forwarding, and most teh features youd ifnd in a normal router. Bell gave me a shitty alcatel usb modem when i first signed up like 2 ro 3 years ago, piece of crap. Got the wirespeed of anandtech for $20

As to the westell modem, I have one and it blows for port forwarding and nat. Turned modem to pass through and using a Linksys befsx41 now and preforms alot better. As to the 3mbit for extreme dsl plan yes we only get about 2.5 to 2.6 because of pppoe overhead.

Cable is faster and cheaper. Why does anyone subscribe to DSLow?

Dont turn this into a cable is faster thread. Cable is not for some people, like me. I have way to many people in my hood to use cable, unless they have fixed that problem. I like my dsl and ill stick with it.

the reason i don't get cable is because my girlfriend has cable, and it's just so slow at times, I don't see paying 40-50 a month to get something that isn't gonna be fast all the time.

You know amongst purchasing this ferarri you will only be fast 1/4 of the time, the other 3/4 you'll be letting someone borrow your engine...

It's early...

elation said:
I've got 6Mb down and 512k up for $44 a month. Good deal? SBC
Sounds like a mad deal...just all depending on your situation and your actual speeds.

Another reason i've not went cable is cuz..i dont have cable tv..cuz i don't watch tv...so therefore it'd be more expensive without it.

Trikzy said:
Just signed up for DSL Extreme( 3mb down 3?? up) upgrading from DSL Ultra(1.5/256)...only 5 bux more than the ultra. Check availability

Seems to me like a [H]ot deal, only 5 bux more and getting twice the download speed and 1/4 the upload speed.

Also comes with a Static IP I had the Ultra and it was 14.95 more for the IP :( I changed plans last month and I love it. but yea I never get the 3megs its like 2.3

anyway its better than the cable I had :)

thanx

I can almost always get 600KB/s down. That's less than 6Mb but still very nice indeed.

Bellsouth needs to stop advertising as 3mbit / 384k it should be advertised as max transfer speeds of 300k/s and 38.4k/s respectively

oh and I have extreme and love it.... however when I lived in my apartments I loved the TRUE 3.5mbit I had on my comcast cable I could easily pull 425k/s all day long.
The problem was the upstream was poo and my routing was poo I pinged 100ms+ to all major places

monkeysofthebutt said:
Im in florida and i have had maby 1 outage in the past 3 months, though in the pas 2 weeks ive gotten e-mail about they dooing service between 1am and liek 6 . Otherwise it i perfect, and i used to run a webserver and a UO server on my comp and never had problems

i dont have issues often at all.
the only issues i ahve had is with the dumbest group of tech support people ever. no insult is towards u bud. not everyone was a retard. but i will say a good 9/10 that i spoke with were dumb as the monitor they got ALL thier info from. god forbid they know something about which they help others with.

Back