Beginners Linux

xphantg0d

Gawd
I want to learn linux and i was wondering what a distribution is to start with becuase there are so many out there. also are there any good resources for learning linux?

www.tldp.org - Linux Documentation Project, has some tutorials and stuff
www.linuxquestions.org - a linux forum that also has some tutorials and distro-specific reviews and how-tos.

For a 'beginner who wants to really learn' distro, I always like to recommend Gentoo as it forces you to use the command line and compile a kernel and configure your bootloader and such. It's one of my favorite distros.

If it doesn't sound appealing, then uh, SuSE and Fedora Core are good.

Gentoo is too difficulty for a newbie who has never touched linux. It would be overwhelming. I would suggest something easy like Mandrake, Lycoris, Lindows or Xandros.

Gentoo is great and all. And great for learning too but you really need to have some of the basics down from using and install some of these other distros.

I don't think gentoo would be impossible to install. There's very detailed instructions on the website. They document just about every step you will need.

But then again a "easy" distro would also be a invaluable learning tool.

fedora core 2 is really easy to install, has a lot of guis for everything, and yum makes installing software pretty easy. so far, for ease of use, its got the most out of the gate that ive liked for a newbie

edit: cobind software has a gui for yum now which makes it even easier called yumi. just google for "yumi gui for yum" or "cobind software"

also, be sure to hit up #fedora (xchat is installed by default) on freenode irc if you need any help. great community.

Back