BattleField2 is NOT as good looking as HalfLife2 ?

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
I heard alot of reviews aying how great BattleField2 looked in the previews, and some said it equaled HalfLife2 in the graphics department :cool: Well I am running the BF2 demo at 1600x1200res with all option on High, 2xAA, and 8xAF in my ATI control panel, and it looks good, but HalfLife2 still looks way sharper or cleaner and detailed ?

Where is the widescreen option ? and no AF option ? How bad a hit is 4xAA ?

One minor complaint is where's the single shot and burst fire mode ?

I was running the demo at 1280x960 with 4xAA everything on high, and it was running just fine. Specs in sig. I do agree with you that HL2 looks a lot better then BF2...

The grass and trees look like crap to me. Especially up close. Overall though, I think it looks great.

you can't make the stuff like grass and trees too sharp just because there are so many of them and you'd end up having to turn the draw distance way down to keep performance up. As for switching weapon modes, I got a bit confused to, but say you switch to your M16 with the '3' key, you hit that key to pull it out, then hit it again to cycle through firing modes. Great demo :cool:

HL2 was made to impress with graphics, BF2 was made for fun and have some pretty good graphics at the same time. You can't have 64 player online matches on a gigantic map and expect to have hl2 graphics.

I run the game on medium settings using 4xAA at 1024x768 and it looks good to me. Granted i'm running that setting just to maintain a steady fps average in the 60s, but thats cool for me. There is quite a bit happening on the screen at any given time.

Most companies when they release demos reduce the texture detail to keep the download size smaller. I'd bet the final version will look much better.

^yeah, thats probaly what happened to those "insane settings" that were rumored?

skinegibbs said:
The game isn't out yet...

ROFLMAO WTH are you smoking?

I ran it everything on high 4x AA in game at 1024x768 and In my control panel its set at 8x and 16x

No lag at all. To me it looks like black hawk down. I admit though, the geometry is a lil wack but its good overall. I find the shadows to be wierd unless theres an option not to make them blocky... :rolleyes:

my opinion 8/10 Imma buy it.JUN 21st BABY! W00T and COD2 and FEAR AND HL2 AFTERMATH AND AND STARGATE AND AND LOL I whish I could afford all those.... BF2 will be fine for now and think of the mods... quake4 looks good too..... I wish I could afford all these good games coming out!

PLEASE DONATE TO MY GAME FUND LOL!!!!! ;)

It doesn't matter what game it is, I am tired of seeing complaints about graphics. The playability in this game is awesome, as evident from the demo. That's all I care about.

this game is great..I really like it anyways I have a question..anyone getting crazy memory usage?? like the game eats up a whole gig of ram..and it uses pagefiling....blah...anooying!

It is so jumpy when the game access the hard drive..like stuttering..

Harrath said:
Most companies when they release demos reduce the texture detail to keep the download size smaller. I'd bet the final version will look much better.

On the graphics options page, the detail level drop downs appear as if there is a missing option above HIGH. Maybe a MAX or EXTREME level of detail as someone else pointed out? I wouldn't be at all surprised. I actually like the way the game looks and plays, well, except for the helo's that is. As for widescreen, I wouldn't be able to use it with SLI anyway... still... :( :mad:

Labrador said:
I heard alot of reviews aying how great BattleField2 looked in the previews, and some said it equaled HalfLife2 in the graphics department :cool: Well I am running the BF2 demo at 1600x1200res with all option on High, 2xAA, and 8xAF in my ATI control panel, and it looks good, but HalfLife2 still looks way sharper or cleaner and detailed ?

Where is the widescreen option ? and no AF option ? How bad a hit is 4xAA ?

One minor complaint is where's the single shot and burst fire mode ?

OMG been done! You need to install provided drivers, nuff said

aZn_plyR said:
this game is great..I really like it anyways I have a question..anyone getting crazy memory usage?? like the game eats up a whole gig of ram..and it uses pagefiling....blah...anooying!

It is so jumpy when the game access the hard drive..like stuttering..

No stuttering here, but then again I recently upped my main rig to 2GB RAM. I'll have to give it a go on my other box and see if it experiences any.

I love these large maps. I had a blast sniping a spawn point from afar last night. Kept going to the same place on sucessive map cycles and still no one knew where I was sniping from. Yeah, didn't help achieve the objective really, but damn its fun. :D

canislupy said:
On the graphics options page, the detail level drop downs appear as if there is a missing option above HIGH. Maybe a MAX or EXTREME level of detail as someone else pointed out? I wouldn't be at all surprised. I actually like the way the game looks and plays, well, except for the helo's that is. As for widescreen, I wouldn't be able to use it with SLI anyway... still... :( :mad:

Maybe there is a max and extreme option but the textures were too big in file size so they left it for the full game. I think we will see much more in the full game. This is only a taste of what the full game is all about. :)

I'll give my oppinions in... 3 hours. My download is going @ 50kb/s from download.com... sooo slow. have 30mbs so far.

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
ROFLMAO WTH are you smoking?

I ran it everything on high 4x AA in game at 1024x768 and In my control panel its set at 8x and 16x

No lag at all. To me it looks like black hawk down. I admit though, the geometry is a lil wack but its good overall. I find the shadows to be wierd unless theres an option not to make them blocky... :rolleyes:

my opinion 8/10 Imma buy it.JUN 21st BABY! W00T and COD2 and FEAR AND HL2 AFTERMATH AND AND STARGATE AND AND LOL I whish I could afford all those.... BF2 will be fine for now and think of the mods... quake4 looks good too..... I wish I could afford all these good games coming out!

PLEASE DONATE TO MY GAME FUND LOL!!!!! ;)

Uhhh , nothing. The demo is out , but the game isn't out.

OMG, guess wut happened....I opened up my back up rig..took the 512mb stick out..samsund cas 3-3-3-8 @ 200mhz...threw it in my main rig..now 1.5gb ram...problems with 3 sticks..had to run it @ 3-3-3-6 143mhz ( pc 2100) loaded up battlefield 2...and it was SMOOTH AS HELL compared to the 1 gig OCZ 3200 @ 220mhz 2-3-3-6....WOW guess I ma order a stick of ram...

Hmmm... Maybe I should get those corsair 1 gig packs from newegg for 80 bucks soon.. That way I can have 1 gig of dual channel and 1 gig of crappy pc2100 ram. Is it bad to mix and match ram or is that just when you have it in dual channel?

cuemasterfl said:
It doesn't matter what game it is, I am tired of seeing complaints about graphics. The playability in this game is awesome, as evident from the demo. That's all I care about.

Yeah its pretty pathetic how people rate a game on its graphics. To me, graphics is a bonus. The first thing I care about is gameplay. Then come graphics. Battlefield 2 can have half-life 1 graphics for all I care, and ill still be happy an play it.

WOW, my system with 1 gig ram running @ pc3500 gets optimal play @ 1290x960 or something like that with max settings 2xAA 16xAF, and it stutters....

dropped another 512mb stick in now my mobo ahs problems with 3 sticks..I dont know why... running them @ pc2100... no more stutter..and I just experimented with 1600x1200 4xAA 16xAF....RUNS better than the 1gig @ 1290x960.... WTH??? :confused: freak..my mobo wont run 3 sticks @ pc3200..I dont know y....I am planning to get anotehr 512 mb matching sticks to match the OCZ ones...but I am afraid when I buy it and toss it in..it will default to very slow speeds..and wont clock anywhere near pc3200.. :mad:

And for those of you that want to run the game at 1280x1024.....Heres how:

Find a BattleField 2 demo shortcut (or make one) and open it's properties.

Assuming that you installed to the default directory replace the target with this:

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

And also...I agree Game first Graphics second...

I play the game to KILL..not to look at the frigging trees and compare them to HL2..big woop...I dont see any HL2 servers running 64 players..with Planes,Tanks,Choppers and all the rest of the Stuff...Hmmm..Go Figure...And Like one of the other Posters said..Its A Demo..500mb...full game is gonna be 3GB big...You think there might be better textures in that 3gb file??

maybe........lol.... but probably :)

and who cares if the graphics arent as good as HL2's? I love sneaking behind tanks and planting remote mines on them and make them run away and I press the red button and KABOOM!!!! lol.. I even did one time for fun plant some on my OWN team's jet's and when he took off and lifted off the ground...BOOM!! opps heheehe :p

IT still looks pretty sweet though. HL2 really isn't that much above it imo. I'm impressed that a demo even lets you run it at high with AA and at 1600x1200. Remember the previous demos of games that only had one or two resolutions to select from?

This game is sooo buggy.. All the shadows are just squares around the objects, the grass gets darker as you get closer...
BTW, how the hell do you create an online account? I tried to make one but it just sat there and my internet wasn't even doing anything so I said screw it.. Also, where are the helicopters in the singleplayer demo if there are any?

Use the drivers that are in the BF2 demo folder, shadows and stuff won't be messed up anymore.

elite.mafia said:
This game is sooo buggy.. All the shadows are just squares around the objects, the grass gets darker as you get closer...
BTW, how the hell do you create an online account? I tried to make one but it just sat there and my internet wasn't even doing anything so I said screw it.. Also, where are the helicopters in the singleplayer demo if there are any?

As noted, the beta drivers fix it perfectly. There is a place to create an account in multiplayer options I think. It took me a few to find it.

There aren't and copters in the single player demo. YOu could just run an internet game with just yourself in it to check them out. I might do that since I can't fly anything at this point.

When your going 800+ knots in the JSF or mixing is up in the M1A2, it doesn't really matter if the graphics are UBER LEET. I think they are great and surpassed my expectations. This genre of FPS is always lagging a bit in graphics just because of the scale they are produced on.

Cant wait... Im holding off getting the demo so I can break my BF2 cherry on the full version

I got it all running.. but with the newest nvidia drivers, I'll install the included ones later.
o/t: My cpu was only hitting 51 c!! yay!

HL2 has extremely blocky geometry. It doesn't do terrain well at all in fact.

Sizer said:
HL2 has extremely blocky geometry. It doesn't do terrain well at all in fact.

QFT. I believe I heard some interview with the developers that stated that the source engine lacks in large open enviroments. It still looks real good though :p

I'm loving this game, i've got settings set to a few at medium, and some at high. I might experement with all on high on different resolutions later on but the game looks great and runs perfectly as is so i'm happy. very very very very very fun!

My strategy has been (aside from very successful) strapping sticky C4, 2 on the front, one in back, rest in drivers seat, onto my jeep and then driving as fast as i can into either another vehicle, or the biggest group of people i can find and jumpin out/hittin the detonator either fast if they notice me or after i back away if it's somewhat safe. the C4 has such a HUGE blast radius that I can usually get 3-4 people per blast and then i toss my nades around and empty my rifle into the crowds. If by some miracle i'm still alive after all that i'll hide in some bushes and knife people untill i get killed. Rinse, wash, repeat, get first on the scoreboards guaranteed.

C4 has such a HUGE blast radius that I can usually get 3-4 people per blast

O YAH BABY!!!

After I completed hl2 and had a look around with noclip on I realised how tiny most of the areas are. Not saying it's a problem, but they had a lot of flexibility because it's so linear. Like other people have said though, as long as it's fun and the graphics are not so bad they detract from the game play I don't see a problem.

well so what, you play battlefield for the excellent multiplayer gameplay, not exclusevly the graphics.. just play the game and enjoy and stop thinkin so god damn much about stupid graphics already :)

JonnyK said:
I'm loving this game, i've got settings set to a few at medium, and some at high. I might experement with all on high on different resolutions later on but the game looks great and runs perfectly as is so i'm happy. very very very very very fun!

My strategy has been (aside from very successful) strapping sticky C4, 2 on the front, one in back, rest in drivers seat, onto my jeep and then driving as fast as i can into either another vehicle, or the biggest group of people i can find and jumpin out/hittin the detonator either fast if they notice me or after i back away if it's somewhat safe. the C4 has such a HUGE blast radius that I can usually get 3-4 people per blast and then i toss my nades around and empty my rifle into the crowds. If by some miracle i'm still alive after all that i'll hide in some bushes and knife people untill i get killed. Rinse, wash, repeat, get first on the scoreboards guaranteed.

I just put the C4 in the areas where all the vehicles has to pass, then go on top of some building and wait for the vehicles to go over it, then hit my detenator. Average about 6 kills each time. I like you ideal though. Suicide bomber them.

elite.mafia said:
Hmmm... Maybe I should get those corsair 1 gig packs from newegg for 80 bucks soon.. That way I can have 1 gig of dual channel and 1 gig of crappy pc2100 ram. Is it bad to mix and match ram or is that just when you have it in dual channel?

When you mix-and-match RAM, it runs at the speed of the lowest-rated stick. Also, sometimes there are compatibility problems, sometimes it all works fine.

Back