Battlefield Bad Company 2 Console Versions

interested

Gawd
Thought i would start a new BFBC2 console related thread since the old one was for beta.
Try to keep stuff related to console only, as there already exists a thread for PC.

Although i have a copy of BFBC2 on steam, I also picked up a copy of BFBC2 for PS3, mainly because many of my friends have crappy PC's so most of they have bought the game for PS3.

So while i left steam downloading tonight, I was trying out the BFBC2 PS3 game.
I jumped right into Multiplayer since thats all i really care about.
To start off i had to put in my code to get the extra maps, which after a few hours of playing i have yet to even try these extra maps. In fact most of the maps i have played on so far have been the maps that were released on the beta, and the demo.
First thing when i logged in it also mentioned that i had been given the M1 Garand, due to veteran status, so I'm glad that worked.
It was also strange that all my dog tags that i collected in the demo are also listed again while everything else as expected was reset to zero.

Any-well after a few hours of playing and unlocking a bunch of stuff, now for some mysterious reason my last few unlocks have disappeared.
And now I'm getting the "Failed to connect to EA Online" message so it looks like I'm done gaming for tonight :(

I would have to say based on first impressions the PS3 game is still pretty buggy, mostly in connectivity, as unlocks and stats seem to disappear and establishing PSN/EA connections seem to be problematic for me right now.
Otherwise its quite fun when its actually connected and everyone is online playing as a team.
Hopefully this clears up in a few days.

Last edited:
Nope it's both versions, I have the 360 version and me and a couple of friends were experiencing the same problem on the 360 tonight so don't feel bad.

Yea, Just got on and cant seem to find any games. I think the sheer volume of players on might have screwed up EA's servers?

Bound to be a few launch-day issues with a game as hot as this. Hopefully it doesn't scare too many n00bs back to CODMW2.

I almost picked this up for the 360 today but I'm still torn between console or PC. The PC will give me a better SP experience (especially when I eventually get that HD5850) but with dialup I'll never see the business end of online multiplayer. The 360, on the other hand, is a lot easier to transport to a broadband-enabled house.

This has to be due to EA's server issues, there's always something wrong when they launch a big game. Hell, the Tiger Woods franchises have had some sort of glaring multiplayer bug in every release.

We had the same strange issues with unlocks and no game found earlier this evening, it sort of came and went.

I guess we should all be thankful that at least this time the severs didn't crash and melt as was the case when Battlefield 1943 launched.

I never got onto the multiplayer last night but i did have a chance to get some single player in, Pretty solid game play and nice looking graphics, seems like a solid buy for the PS3. I do hope for a quick fix for the PS3 multiplayer (and a fix for my 360 brothers) soon as I'm looking forward to getting my online game on.

We eventually got are group to start connecting by going under the "play with friends tab" under multiplayer. But overall it's an awesome game and I like Mw2 and BC2 kicks it right in the teeth.

Spawn killing is almost completely fixed, and playing with a squad is a must, since if you die you can spawn back to a desired teammate.

Overall A+

If anybody wants to play on 360 hit me up.

As i mentioned I have both the PC and PS3 version of this game.

I can tell you that although there were a few connectivity issues on the PS3 last night, overall the game had far fewer connectivity bugs then the PC version.
I was not able to play more then 3 min on PC without getting kicked off a server due to punkbuster issues. Combine that with EA login problems, and there was just no way to really enjoy playing the PC version last night.

Also comparatively the PS3 was simple plug and play, and everything just worked, which in my opinion is really one of the main benefits of playing on a console.
Some examples where the PS3 gave a better gaming experience last night are:

1) I could actually play more then a few minutes on my PS3 without getting kicked due to Punkbuster connectivity issues.
2) All the Limited edition unlocks were unlocked ( unlike on PC which was having unlock issues )
3) On PS3 my Veteran status was acknowledged and i received the M1 Garand (not so on PC)
4) Voice chat works very nicely on PS3 using bluetooth headset ( voice didn't work at all on PC)

Of course there is also the downsides of using a console, which are quite obvious when you have both versions that the PC has some great advantages over consoles.
1) Way better visuals on PC, (Higher resolution, better textures, shadows, filtering etc.)
2) PC has keyboard / mouse controls, which in my opinion is the best way to play a FPS.
3) Console lacks ability to pick servers based on ping so your at the mercy of auto selections.

Overall playing on PC or console this game is great once everything is connected properly.
The one weakness they both seem to suffer is that they require EA online to be working properly, which on release day is not very likely.
Hopefully login/connectivity issues are ironed out before the weekend.

Last edited:

And now I'm getting the "Failed to connect to EA Online" message so it looks like I'm done gaming for tonight :(

That's part of the game. It's put in to build anticipation. Look on the back of the box and you'll see it. :)

I f*****g hate EA and their servers. I won't touch this game.

Had a pretty good experience with the PS3 versions last night. I played about an hour of the single player and two hours of online player.

The single player experience was mediocre at best. I never really felt into it, I was just running around shooting stuff. Plus in the beginning when your boat goes under the bridge and they cut the motor about 10 feet away, no one notices? Really?!? Later in there are a few more completely ridiculous setups too that I do not want to get into in case anyone cares about the store. I think the whole thing would have been better if done in B movie satire...

Multiplayer was great! I had a lot of success being picky and sneaking around as en engineer to blow up tanks and shoot groups of people standing on flags and M-Comms

The single player experience was mediocre at best. I never really felt into it, I was just running around shooting stuff.

Multiplayer was great! I had a lot of success being picky and sneaking around as en engineer to blow up tanks and shoot groups of people standing on flags and M-Comms

QFT. I was so disappointed that BFBC2 was going to be another over-hyped piece of crap game cause I started with the SP campaign first. Big mistake and I think a lot of people will be turned away from the game solely for this reason cause I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that likes to dive into the single-player component first.

After an hour I said screw it and fired up multi-player and had a blast. I don't think I can be bothered to try out the campaign again.

I got DCed for hours yesterday on xbox but eventually it started working, sadly seems like most everyone else gave up for the evening, so there wasn't much in the playlist

Really torn if I should pick this up or not. All my friends and I play MW2. We play a ton of hardcore games. People coming from MW2 to BC2, does the gameplay get more realistic? I am mainly interested in online multiplayer. Bad Company might be even more team oriented which I like.

So should I get this, or will I be disappointed?

EDIT: This is for the 360.

Last edited:
PS3 here as well and no problems finding games.

Are there supposed to be that many more people playing on Xbox or something? I thought the online community was roughly the same now for both systems.

Do enough people play the PS3 version to make it worthwhile?

Seriously? Why do people even consider this is an issue??!?!
there are 30 MILLION PS3s sold worldwide, and not far behind the 360 in terms of overall sales. SO YES THERE ARE TONS OF PEOPLE PLAYIGN.

yeesh.

There are lots of people playing this game on all platforms.

Given that there was already a PS3 beta, then a PS3/360 demo I'm sure there will be plenty of people interested in the console version.

The console version is a nice alternative, especially given all the PC related issues currently facing this game, and relatively high PC requirements required to really play the PC game with high settings smoothly.

Seriously? Why do people even consider this is an issue??!?!
there are 30 MILLION PS3s sold worldwide, and not far behind the 360 in terms of overall sales. SO YES THERE ARE TONS OF PEOPLE PLAYIGN.

yeesh.

Seriously? There is no harm in asking a simple question.

I have a quick question, I bought the game on release day and at 12 am 3/3 in morning the top people have already 40hrs of online game time. How the f is that possible? Did they get it like 10 days early? This is on the 360 mind you, doesnt XBL stop you from playing when it is before the release date?

I have a quick question, I bought the game on release day and at 12 am 3/3 in morning the top people have already 40hrs of online game time. How the f is that possible? Did they get it like 10 days early? This is on the 360 mind you, doesnt XBL stop you from playing when it is before the release date?

People who preordered through game stop got access to the squad rush game type up to 30 days early. I don't know, but I'm guessing that the stats carry over? Maybe someone who did that can verify

and no xbl doesn't stop you from playing early.

I'm a bit disappointed with the game, to be honest. The campaign is extremely linear, with a dirty "return to the battlefield in 10 seconds or DIE!" message whenever I try to go around the back of a houe to flank somebody. There isn't the same vibe as the first game, and most of the humour is forced and relies too much on saying "fuck".

Graphics are nowhere as impressive as that 7-minute gameplay video released a couple of months ago suggested. Some textures are downright ugly and look like they've come from PS-One games. Gun models are very weak too.

Multiplayer is ok but has some issues...I spawned as a medic to see three hostiles in front of me, but for some reason my PKM only had two bullets in it and I had to reload. Everybody picks fucking Recon class too, which just turns the game into Campville For Snipers.

Not impressed, at all.

Anyone else having extreme difficulty finding a full server? My friend and I played a good 5 hrs today and hopped a bunch of servers and it was always 5 v 7, 4 v 6, 7 v 9, etc. First two days of launch I had nothing but full servers and last night and today, not a single one even close to being full. I wonder if a bunch of people just quit the game or they're having trouble with their matchmaking service.

Anyone else having extreme difficulty finding a full server? My friend and I played a good 5 hrs today and hopped a bunch of servers and it was always 5 v 7, 4 v 6, 7 v 9, etc. First two days of launch I had nothing but full servers and last night and today, not a single one even close to being full. I wonder if a bunch of people just quit the game or they're having trouble with their matchmaking service.

Quite a few people had trouble connecting to the EA servers, including me.

Quite a few people had trouble connecting to the EA servers, including me.

I am having that problem right as I type it. Been searching for games for a good 10 mins on XBL. WTF? Did EA just release another broken game? It seems that everytime I get on and try to play the damn servers are broken.

lol you guys are so weird? You obviously don't understand battlefield games or ever played battlefield 2 or 1942. This is a team based multiplayer game with realisitic weapons and physics. There is actual gravity to your bullets and you need to adjust your aim also unlike MW2 the unlocks actually mean something. This game is less arcadish and more sim than MW2 which is in my opinion trash. I mean you can get shot through walls and killed in MW2 due to lag or something its really bs.

My experience improved drastically when I got into Conquest-mode matches. People generally had an idea of what to do to win...the fact you only have to stand in the general area around a flag to capture it probably helps.

I managed to hit an enemy chopper with the main cannon of an Abrams tank with one shot at a long-ish range. I was so proud of myself.

I then got put into another Rush match, where I was yet again put on a team of retards against a team who *gasp* knew how to play the game.

Conquest mode is great...Rush is only good if you get good teammates and players who don't have hard-ons for the Recon class.

I have the 360 version, and I've been having a blast playing so far. My only issue so far is when I try to join a game with a squad of friends. Tonight when we were trying to get in a game, the loading screen would appear as normal, but when you were supposed to load into the game, it would instead exit the ENTIRE game (as in exit BFBC2) and send people back to their dashboards. This seems to only be an issue when trying to join with a pre-made squad as far as I can tell. We ended up joining the same game individually by having me go into a game using the "Quick Match" option, and everyone else followed me in on their own. It put 2 of us on the same team our 3rd person ended up on the other team. Turned out fine since we were already in a XBL party and we could just talk smack to each other all night. However, I really hope they get the crash to dashboard problem fixed ASAP, it's really a deal breaker IMO.

I have the 360 version, and I've been having a blast playing so far. My only issue so far is when I try to join a game with a squad of friends. Tonight when we were trying to get in a game, the loading screen would appear as normal, but when you were supposed to load into the game, it would instead exit the ENTIRE game (as in exit BFBC2) and send people back to their dashboards. This seems to only be an issue when trying to join with a pre-made squad as far as I can tell. We ended up joining the same game individually by having me go into a game using the "Quick Match" option, and everyone else followed me in on their own. It put 2 of us on the same team our 3rd person ended up on the other team. Turned out fine since we were already in a XBL party and we could just talk smack to each other all night. However, I really hope they get the crash to dashboard problem fixed ASAP, it's really a deal breaker IMO.

This "crash to dashboard" happened to me last night, just as we were about to finish a match we were likely to win. I was less than pleased.

Comparing BC2 to MAG. How is the tactical aspect of the game? Does it feel like team death match? Whats the highest number of players in a match? How is stability in the match truthfully? I've heard a bunch of complaints about being DCed

I'm intrested in picking it up but atm MAG is keeping me entertained. Debating on picking it up next paycheck

There is DC issues right now but it's being resolved. Matches are 12 vs 12 and are objective based. I haven't had any problems really just a few times not being able to connect and during games it's like the poltergeist all the shrapnel is flying across the map.

Comparing BC2 to MAG. How is the tactical aspect of the game? Does it feel like team death match? Whats the highest number of players in a match? How is stability in the match truthfully? I've heard a bunch of complaints about being DCed

I'm intrested in picking it up but atm MAG is keeping me entertained. Debating on picking it up next paycheck

Totally varies from game to game imo. Some games I've been in have several squads working together to win; others have nothing but people running around on their own thinking they are playing Halo/MW2. If you have 3 other friends to make a squad with, you can make it feel much more tactical than if you're going solo. The majority of games I've played on my own have been in squads that never spoke and just ran around doing their own thing.

Matches are 12v12

If you get into a match, they seem pretty stable. There's an issue on xbox that is causiing people to crash to the dashboard, but I haven't heard anything about this on ps3 so far.

Totally varies from game to game imo. Some games I've been in have several squads working together to win; others have nothing but people running around on their own thinking they are playing Halo/MW2. If you have 3 other friends to make a squad with, you can make it feel much more tactical than if you're going solo. The majority of games I've played on my own have been in squads that never spoke and just ran around doing their own thing.

Matches are 12v12

If you get into a match, they seem pretty stable. There's an issue on xbox that is causiing people to crash to the dashboard, but I haven't heard anything about this on ps3 so far.

LMAO Sounds like MAG but smaller. Might have to get the PC version once the issues die down.

I just wanted to state that with the disconnect issues, the difficulty joining games and the occasional crash to dash issue in BC2, I've had fewer problems than if I tried to go online with the exact same group of friends and play a round in Ground War in MW2 right now.

One game is 5 days old, the other is 4 months.

Overall I'd call their launch a success. I was reading their updates on the home page a bit ago and it looks like even with their projected server loads they had higher connectivity rates than they ever dreamed.

360 version looks exactly the same as the pc version axcept for soft shadows, if you look on the jungle map you can see that it has HBAO on.

if you dont agree with this what settings do you think the 360 is at?

360 version looks exactly the same as the pc version axcept for soft shadows, if you look on the jungle map you can see that it has HBAO on.

if you dont agree with this what settings do you think the 360 is at?

Sorry but PC looks way nicer, just due to the fact that you can run it at incredibly high resolutions, while consoles are stuck at 720p.
That and there is FSAA on PC that takes away the jaggies, that seems to plague consoles.
So its not just soft shadows.

However since i own both console and PC versions of this game, to me what matters most right now is which is less buggy.. and in my opinion console has less overal bugs.

Just thank god there is no punkbuster on consoles. as it just increases the amount of PC disconnect issues.

Last edited:
Sorry but PC looks way nicer, just due to the fact that you can run it at incredibly high resolutions, while consoles are stuck at 720p.
That and there is FSAA on PC that takes away the jaggies, that seems to plague consoles.
So its not just soft shadows.

However since i own both console and PC versions of this game, to me what matters most right now is which is less buggy.. and in my opinion console has less overal bugs.

Just thank god there is no punkbuster on consoles. as it just increases the amount of PC disconnect issues.

I will definitely agree that while not terribly awesome looking, the PS3 version seems to at least run smooth in all situations and has been free of major problems. I have yet to run into any notable slowdown or just been unable to join a new game. My main problem right now is that my newly earned points and unlocks do not usually appear until I close and restart the game.

Back