Battlefield 4 **Official Discussion Thread**

Unlocking the new Gol Magnum in BF4 is just pure chaos, I ended up getting so frustrated I placed a spawn beacon just outside of the tower on Fire Storm and was dropping on the snipers that had taken the tower over. Took me several tries to master this strategy, but I got pretty good at hip firing the sniper rifle (silencer helps too, the others don't know its coming). Ended up unlocking the Gol Magnum, the SRR-61 and Sniper Service Star all at the same time. Now that I have the SRR-61 I doubt I will ever use the Gol Magnum ever.

I just went through this hell for reasons I don't even know, because I never play Recon.

Got lucky when I found 2 guys on the tower that were launching missiles, so I just climbed up, walked up to them, and gave them a close up headshot. Then I won a medium range (150m or so) sniper war for the 3rd kill, figured out I could shoot through the floor grating on the tower for the 4th kill, and then got a guy on the oil platform nearby for the 5th kill.

What a nightmare. Sniping in this game is so awful.

BF3 threw the franchise in the shitter for me but BF4 clogged it and bust the piping.

The China Rising and Second Assault maps, save for Guilin Peaks and Gulf of Oman (always a weak spot for it) are the most drab, baby-shit colored maps I've seen. They say this is their art direction but it just seems like a copout for being lazy and uninspired. Also, for whatever reason, the lag now is even worse than it ever was before Second Assault. Constantly shooting through opponents and then it doesn't begin to register those hits until they start either shooting at someone else or me. It seems to happen a lot on Firestorm and Metro, but practically never on Oman and Caspian. Beats me :\

BF3 threw the franchise in the shitter for me but BF4 clogged it and bust the piping.

The China Rising and Second Assault maps, save for Guilin Peaks and Gulf of Oman (always a weak spot for it) are the most drab, baby-shit colored maps I've seen. They say this is their art direction but it just seems like a copout for being lazy and uninspired. Also, for whatever reason, the lag now is even worse than it ever was before Second Assault. Constantly shooting through opponents and then it doesn't begin to register those hits until they start either shooting at someone else or me. It seems to happen a lot on Firestorm and Metro, but practically never on Oman and Caspian. Beats me :\

I saw this today on a few of the second assault maps. I had a guy maybe 10 meters from me who would drop with 60+ rounds in him from fp2000. You also can't force players with shit ping from the game. I've noticed way less issues playing late night than during the day.

anyone have a joystick they recommend for heli's and airplanes with BF4? on BF2 i used a wireless logitech one, but really looking for something nicer.

are the CH ones really worth the 100% extra they cost?

I finally figured out how to stop the crashing!!!! I played all night and all day and haven't crashed.

What I did was turn the graphics down.... With my rig I've never thought I would need to do that. But the game eats video memory like a pig, and apparently it can't deal with itself and just crashes windows with it.... So I got it to where it uses 1.7-1.8GB of memory. Sucks that I can't say I run this game on ultra, because I know a GTX690 could....

i havent had a crash in over a month... seems new updates have been better.

too bad to hear about the memory issue.

I am looking at trading my 7950 for a 690 GTX for video editing CUDA reasons. that is a beast of a card still

I finally figured out how to stop the crashing!!!! I played all night and all day and haven't crashed.

What I did was turn the graphics down.... With my rig I've never thought I would need to do that. But the game eats video memory like a pig, and apparently it can't deal with itself and just crashes windows with it.... So I got it to where it uses 1.7-1.8GB of memory. Sucks that I can't say I run this game on ultra, because I know a GTX690 could....

I limited my fps in user.cfg to 69fps and no more crashing, I added:

GameTime.MaxVariableFps 69.000000

Its playable till they fix that shit.

I use the logitech extreme 3d pro and I think it is the bee's knees. I will say though, it is really hard in the little bird if you're using the gattling gun. But, as far as pure flying goes I was never able to get this good with a keyboard and mouse.

Is it true that the crashes are happening more on Windows 8.1 than Windows 7? Fortunately, I never had this sound loop crash problem. I've had others, but this one seems to be the one that most people are complaining about, but I have been lucky enough to not experience it.

Sounds like BF4 still has a lot of issue.

I think I'll stay with BF3 until things get better.

I pick up BF4 when I can get it for $20 or less.

That's a little absurd.

I don't think it is. The latest patch made the game unplayable again for a lot of people. It's crashing with a couple minutes on a lot of maps for me. Thankfully I can switch to the beta mantle mode and it'll run decent enough on reduced settings and have a lot less crashing. But lots of other folks don't have that option and they're kinda stuck.

I use the logitech extreme 3d pro and I think it is the bee's knees. I will say though, it is really hard in the little bird if you're using the gattling gun. But, as far as pure flying goes I was never able to get this good with a keyboard and mouse.

i had that in the wireless version, worked well. looking for something nicer i think

currently flying with the mouse and keyboard and I am adequate but not good

That's a little absurd.

Horrible SP campaign, broken MP, rehashed map packs, and horrible servers, and patches that make more problems than they fix. I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

I have a mix of high/ultra settings with no MSAA (only FXAA on low) on my GTX760 FTW 4GB. I run a 24" 1080p monitor as my main and a little 15" monitor as a secondary.

I keep EVGA precision X on my secondary monitor. With those settings I am seeing anywhere from 1.8GB to 2.2GB usage and average 80fps on just about every map except the indoor heavy ones like Operation Locker and Operation Metro where its cut in half.

The worst map by far is the same one as BF3. Gulf of Oman. I have no idea why either. Even the massive maps in BF3 Armored Kill expansion didn't use as much Vram. In BF3 it used around 1.7-1.8GB of VRAM with similar settings...a full 300MB more than the average. This go around they added the sandstorm...which bumped it up to 2.2GB of usage.

Damn this game is a fucking joke. Just a few weeks back it was rather stable and they fuck it all up again. :confused: Hit detection is terrible, once again. Bolt actions are shooting in semi auto though I assume this is the poor lag compensation of the game. But that is goddamn annoying.

The magnifier bug still exists. How can it? Can DICE still not figure out how to fix it this many months after release?

This thing isn't even fun anymore. Horrible lag and other bugs just makes it entirely unplayable. At least a few weeks back 75% or so of all shots registered correctly, now we're looking at closer to 30%. Wish I could get my money back.

I agree, ramming should be a viable tactic that reduces your opponent's armor health and may lead to flipping over.

Except nothing touched me. I was sitting idle when my tank dipped up 50 feet into the air and then landed upside down. No damage either. It just flipped. This game just goes from terrible to playable and back to terrible every couple of patches. DICE should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this over budget turd. At least they should release 20-30 weapons and 10-15 vehicles for make up for it... instead of Battlepacks.

Damn this game is a fucking joke. Just a few weeks back it was rather stable and they fuck it all up again. :confused: Hit detection is terrible, once again. Bolt actions are shooting in semi auto though I assume this is the poor lag compensation of the game. But that is goddamn annoying.

The magnifier bug still exists. How can it? Can DICE still not figure out how to fix it this many months after release?

Interesting. I never use the magnifier, but what kind of bug are we talking about here? I have huge issues with the FLIR and IRNV-sights for the soldier weapons though, because they only work 60% of the time.

That is, I get the tiny zoom and the crosshair, but their effects won't turn on, so all I get is a sub par sight with a reduced FOV because of the huge pitch black circle on the outer edges of the screen, which is so annoying when I'm playing Oman during the sandstorm, or jungle heavy maps where those kind of sights really shine (when they actually work).

My PC must be made out of sunshine and buttercups considering I experience none of these 'game breaking' issues. Am I alone here? (play on 1080p low settings for 144fps+)

Granted I only have ~70 hours into BF4 compared to ~300 in BF3 and 2000+ in BF2.. Still think BF4 is the most fun for squad play..

My PC must be made out of sunshine and buttercups considering I experience none of these 'game breaking' issues. Am I alone here?

Granted I only have ~70 hours into BF4 compared to ~300 in BF3 and 2000+ in BF2.. Still think BF4 is the most fun for squad play..

I also must have the sunshine and buttercups edition because I run this game all night with no issues other than my admittedly average abilities to kill the other team. And squad play over Vent is almost the only way I can play. Playing solo is fun but when you are talking with the rest of your squad and really getting stuff done is when the game really shines. They, luckily, also built magical rigs that play this game perfectly fine.

I am not going to say it is perfect, because it isn't. I just don't get the feeling I am in the minority.

My PC must be made out of sunshine and buttercups considering I experience none of these 'game breaking' issues. Am I alone here? (play on 1080p low settings for 144fps+)

Like you, I have well under 100 hours into the game so far, but my Unicorn farts and peanut-buttercup PC has seen none of the issues mentioned. Aside from occasional server-side lag or server-side crashes, locally it's running fine.

I feel for those that are still seeing issues; I understand all too well how frustrating it can be.

Like you, I have well under 100 hours into the game so far, but my Unicorn farts and peanut-buttercup PC has seen none of the issues mentioned. Aside from occasional server-side lag or server-side crashes, locally it's running fine.

I feel for those that are still seeing issues; I understand all too well how frustrating it can be.

I have a grand ol' time almost every night with this game. Once in a while I get th eFLIR issue but if you switch guns it goes away. I crash once every 10 hours or so and there's occasional server issues but all in all it's not "bad" it's fun as hell for me.

Netcode issues? Are you guys sure you just don't suck?

I'm currently suffering from the return of the sound loop crash bug. Seems to be linked to explosions somehow.

I also see plenty of netcode issues. At this point it's well documented, and dismissing it as someone sucking is ignorance.

236 hours in and I haven't crashed for at least 6 weeks.

I'm also bemused by the comment "It's like 1942 with a fresh coat of paint." Like that's a bad thing?! I seriously have not had this much fun in MP since '42/DC.

I was playing fine until the last patch, then the dreaded sound loop bug hit me. Only way I was able to get around it is by limiting my framerate to 59.95 on my beautiful 144Hz monitor. Dice is a joke. They don't care anymore. The game was released 5 months ago, they got their money and they are moving on to the next project. All the people who payed for Premium gave them even more money. They have no reason to fix it anymore. They have milked the revenue stream and they are off to the next best thing.

I love how people post that they have no problems and somehow it must be me or my PC when the BF4 forums, and tons of other sites, have 1000's of users posting about crashes, yet somehow, I am a noob and I have a shit PC. If your game works, great. I'm happy for you. For the 1000's of others who can't play or have to gimp their setup like mine, this game is broken.

I don't get any crashes, aside from when using Mantle, but I'll have to agree I think the netcode is complete garbage. I hadn't played a Battlefield game since BF2 and have been playing CS:GO the past year. Coming from that to BF4 is a complete joke.

I'm currently suffering from the return of the sound loop crash bug. Seems to be linked to explosions somehow.

I also see plenty of netcode issues. At this point it's well documented, and dismissing it as someone sucking is ignorance.

I'm not dismissing it but they've addressed netcode in multiple patches I believe.

I seldom get netcode but yes I do see it, maybe once every 2 matches? But honestly it's not a gamebreaker. Bid deal, I die one more time than I should have. I was poking fun at the guy who says "it's shit" blah blah. Yes, I know it exists but as I just said...I don't think it's THAT bad.

I'm tired of people complaining about everyone hacking and having netcode issues in game. So much so that I just don't believe it anymore, people just suck.

It's OK, I suck, but I don't blame my suckness on netcode or hackers.

I'm not dismissing it but they've addressed netcode in multiple patches I believe.

No, it has not been addressed in multiple patches. They have announced that future patches would have fixes. Those patches have not been released.

I seldom get netcode but yes I do see it, maybe once every 2 matches

You seldom notice it, then, but it happens quite often.

236 hours in and I haven't crashed for at least 6 weeks.

I'm also bemused by the comment "It's like 1942 with a fresh coat of paint." Like that's a bad thing?! I seriously have not had this much fun in MP since '42/DC.

Seconded, I never crash and have about 200 hours in. Stopped playing though until they fix the obnoxious amount of AA and do something about Active Radar Missiles shooting base to base and flipping heli's over as theyre taking off. Especially prevalent on the new S.A. maps. -- example MAA camps edge of RU base on Caspian 2014 and just clicks leftmouse all round in the general direction on US base for ezpoints.

The amount of point&click lockon spam in the game is honestly stupefying.

I'm cautiously optimistic we'll finally see a patch tomorrow based on several signs.

Last edited:
No, it has not been addressed in multiple patches. They have announced that future patches would have fixes. Those patches have not been released.

You seldom notice it, then, but it happens quite often.

No, I would say "seldom" is every two matches. I didn't contradict myself.

I swore they released a patch for netcode.

So I finally picked this up again after being frustrated with the launch. Some thoughts:

- No crashes so far! Played about 3 hours (which is about 8 times the length as before in which I had 4 crashes)

- Wtf is with the air corridor? I was piloting a jet on Galum (or wtfe) Railway and kept being killed by the damn "leaving corridor". The A10 doesn't turn quick enough for how small the area is, it also doesn't allow you to run/retreat. Nice play DICE. Since it's stinger/lock-on heaven, it's no wonder you never have any air support.

- They badly need a hardcore with FF off server. I'll shoot a vehicle, it'll start on fire, and then 20 seconds later I get credited with a TK because some dingdong on my team decided to run near it as it explodes. Seriously, they still haven't fixed that?

- Is there dumb bombs as an unlock? I'm not a fan of all the lock-on gadgetry, I like the good ol' fashion estimate and drop.

No you are not alone. I too have had great times with this game. I am not sure how others are running into these issues consistently.

I still have massive stuttering problems, game crashes (mostly at the end of the match), and netcode issues (which is pretty far and few in between). Other than that, it is a pretty fun game.

Back