Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

I wish there were more TDM servers not running Norshahr Canals. :(

Yeah, TDM and Rush servers seem to have died in the last two weeks. It sucks. Hopefully its just a phase.

Ironically, 64 man Close Quarters servers are still running at an all time high. Bleh.

Yeah, TDM and Rush servers seem to have died in the last two weeks. It sucks. Hopefully its just a phase.

Ironically, 64 man Close Quarters servers are still running at an all time high. Bleh.

For me when I don't feel like jumping in a vehicle I will play the CC maps. Those maps are well done although the sweet spot for them is 48 not 64.

PS2 is fun and a good change from this game now. They seem to be going in the right direction. Played several hours today for the first time and it really flowed. Felt like an enormous bf DC fight.

I actually prefer 'hold down' to sprint. I always forget when its toggle, like in Defiance. I still hold it down, haha.

Anyone else really bummed about no 2143 or a sequel that is not 'modern'? I think BF3 will be the last BF iteration I buy unless they make more changes for the good. Commander returning is a step in the right direction...infusing COD gameplay in order to cater to the masses/hoard for more money isn't.

Anyone else really bummed about no 2143 or a sequel that is not 'modern'?

This. I got to play in the 2142 beta and it was much more fun imo than the version that went to retail. You could use the pods without having to be under the mothership com centers so defending smaller nodes was awesome and fast paced.

2142 had a whole bunch of mechanics that made it just a much better game. With current technology, Titan mode without horrendous lag would probably be possible and even more awesome. Pod surfing was one of the best gaming mechanics to come to multiplayer games since skiing in Tribes, imo.

2142 had a whole bunch of mechanics that made it just a much better game. With current technology, Titan mode without horrendous lag would probably be possible and even more awesome. Pod surfing was one of the best gaming mechanics to come to multiplayer games since skiing in Tribes, imo.

problem is the pod surfing broke the game completely. god send when they fixed it. I think it is totally different than the skiing in tribes.

problem is the pod surfing broke the game completely. god send when they fixed it. I think it is totally different than the skiing in tribes.
To each their own, but I felt it sped up game play. I think pods in general were a great mechanic, although BF3 has helped with that with dropship jumps, more flight vehicles, etc.

pods were awesome, using them as defense weapons for the titan was even better. When the shields came down, and podding into a oncoming full transport. nothing better. :cool:

pod surfing on the other hand, where players were able to travel across the map by messing with their sensitivity wasn't cool. [FLOT] banned for that.

I really hope to see 2143, not only because 2142 was pretty underated, but because I'd love to see it grab a larger audience.

It is an enlarged Cargo map if you recall that jewel from cod.

It seems to fall in line of the kids who have zero attention span and want to spawn/kill/die in a matter of five seconds. You get points! Lots of points!

Imagine if they made dying take away points. Oh the hilarity that would ensue..

Killing +25pts
Dying from enemy -15pts
Objectives +100pts

It seems to fall in line of the kids who have zero attention span and want to spawn/kill/die in a matter of five seconds. You get points! Lots of points!

Imagine if they made dying take away points. Oh the hilarity that would ensue..

Killing +25pts
Dying from enemy -15pts
Objectives +100pts

Exactly

Ran outta VRam with 6GB on 2560x1440?? I don't see it ever going past 2gb lol.

Probably some weird driver issue with your titan sli. No idea but the error is caused by running out of vram.

Maybe the Titans are not correctly identified as such and the OS/game thinks they are 2gb 680s. The game will go past 2gb if you have more. Since I assume that you run max settings, you are using more than 2gb and would see it as such if the system was running based on a card with more than 2gb. My 7950 will register 2.5gb or so even at 1920x1080 max settings.

Probably some weird driver issue with your titan sli. No idea but the error is caused by running out of vram.

Maybe the Titans are not correctly identified as such and the OS/game thinks they are 2gb 680s. The game will go past 2gb if you have more. Since I assume that you run max settings, you are using more than 2gb and would see it as such if the system was running based on a card with more than 2gb. My 7950 will register 2.5gb or so even at 1920x1080 max settings.

Strange, GPU-Z shows 6GB, so I don't see why it would only be taking in 2gb then in BF3. Weird!

Edit - just loaded up BF3 again, it shows 1.9gb used...

Last edited:
Have you guys seen this: Venice Unleashed, an Unofficial Battlefield 3 Custom Server/Mod Tool

RPS's writeup on it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/25/dicey-unofficial-battlefield-3-custom-servermod-tool/

Enlistment site: http://enlist.veniceunleashed.net/
(I suggest signing up with a junk/disposable email account just in case the project is never realized)

Battlefield 3 is finally getting a proper PC version, with custom server rules, a spectator mode and lots of other features unlocked or revealed for the first time. The Venice Unleashed project is an excavation of the shooter’s code and is the work of NoFaTe, who previously performed similar work on Bad Company 2. Beta signups are open now, as testing takes place, and NoFaTe reckons this could give the game a bright future: “Using our powerful Extension System, which exposes lots of engine/game functions and abilities, you can now create your own unique mods and gamemodes, without the need of performing complicated and game-breaking file modifications.”

Holy bungholio! How? I thought they would not allow mods to the game! Jumping on this!

You still have to have a valid copy of bf3 to play so this isn't some cracked server underground mod. It will just allow for the fixes for competition we have wanted since release. EA could have done this at launch but ohhhhhh noooooo. F-sticks.

Last edited:
Have you guys seen this: Venice Unleashed, an Unofficial Battlefield 3 Custom Server/Mod Tool

RPS's writeup on it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/25/dicey-unofficial-battlefield-3-custom-servermod-tool/

(I suggest signing up with a junk/disposable email account just in case the project is never realized)

I wouldn't doubt if EA doesn't do something (involving the TOS) to block them. With BF4 around the corner, the last thing they want is for BF3 to get a second wind from some silly mod. Especially since BF4 is just a slight enhancement of BF3.

Dude, that's huge. Holy crap, with mods BF3 could be the best thing ever.

Well we're not exactly going to see new assets or maps since that requires the frostbite editor, but still, the ability to play offline LAN games or run your own server.. I mean that's how games used to all be before the rush to forced online, forced social which comes with so many restrictions.

And since its the same guy that pulled it off with BFBC2 its got some credibility. I do wonder how he gets/got the server code seeing as its under lock and key at GSP's and they have contracts that don't allow them to distribute it. Maybe someone at a GSP 'anonymously' leaked it to him

Hey guys. Anyone running 1080p with gtx 680 sli or titan sli wanna tell me how much fps you are getting? Seems like my fps is pretty low in comparison to what it should be. (Looking at getting a 120hz monitor).

I've heard there are vram issues with those cards in SLI. Might want to check out your vram usage.

More info on the Venice mod:

NoFate said:
This project will function on a separate backend, not on the official EA Servers. This is being done in order to allow you to freely use your game with our custom modifications as well as hosting modified servers without the fear of getting banned by EA.
Also, our client is designed in a way that does not interfere with your regular Battlefield installation, so if you launch from Battlelog it will look (and function) like our client never existed.

NoFate said:
Q:Could one theoretically set limited vehicle ammo and have flags and airbases resupply vehicles?

A: Theoretically speaking, yes.

NoFate said:
Q:Would it be possible to alter the maps in anyway i.e. place extra objects (ammo dumps to represent vehicle resupply ?) or alter the terrian?

A: Again, theoretically speaking, modifying already existing items/entities should be possible, however adding new ones would probably require a bit more extensive research/hacking.

Video of server emulator in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hS2NO-iFpi8

More info from NoFate as to possibilities with his mod:

NoFate said:
Q: No suppression;
A: Yes

Q: No Supernova;

Q: No washed out color scheme;

Q: No blue filter;

Q: No audio-spot;

Q: Higher Time to kill (reducing limb shots to 0.4x damage modifier, torso 1.0x damage multi and head 3x damage multi)

Q: Expanding Out-of-Bounds;

Q: Better flag placement (?);
A: Probably

Q: Higher Flight Ceiling;

Q: Tweak recoil and damage for SOME weapons (M16A3 should be top priority, slightly decreasing the ROF and increasing reload speed and spread should be fine, is it possible?)

Q: Enhanced destruction (trenches BC2 style);
A: Probably Not

Q: Disabling knife takedowns;

Q: Give more control over vaulting animation;
A: Please elaborate

Q: Disable 3D icons;

Q: Disable or significantly reduce screen shaking;
A: Please elaborate

Q: Add/Remove some vehicles on particular maps;

Q: Increasing a cool down to the medic's shock pads, to avoid revive spam;
A: Maybe

Q: Would it be possible to accept/deny the revive BEFORE coming to life (auto-accept and going prone with low health and sidearm equiped);
A: Probably Not

God damn, I am more excited by this mod than BF4!

Back