Basic HTPC - AMD or Intel

Pringals

Gawd
I can't decide between these two configurations. What do you guys think?

Purpose: To use along with HDHomeRun tuner to Record OTA programing as well as watch and to play stored standard DVD collection from my WHS. Just typical media center stuf.

No BluRay, No Gaming. (maybe an older game, CSS/L4D/TF2?, but not the latest stuff ... and not regularly, just to show off on the big screen ;) )

Amd Configuration:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H - $79.99
Item#:N82E16813128394

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz - $58.99
Item#:N82E16819103688

Cost: $138.98

Intel Configuration:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L - $64.99
Item#:N82E16813128388

CPU: Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz - $64.50
Item#:N82E16819116072

Cost: $129.49

My main desktop will still be my gamer and it will also be my workhorse for ripping & converting DVDs. At this time, I don't plan on going BluRay on this yet. I'll wait for better HDMI bitstreaming support to mature.

I hope to get on this soon, but it may have to wait until after the holidays. Still, any input would be appreciated.

I'm using almost the same AMD CPU in my HTPC (245 vice 240) and it works well. 90% of the time it is idling at 800Mhz and the whole system only pulls ~60w. I haven't used an Intel chip for many years so I have no experience with them.

I have the 2.8 ghz version of that Wolfdale chip. It was able to easily handle the stuff you are doing as well as easily handle playing BluRay movies. I also had an Intel G45 motherboard and used the on-board Intel Graphics.

OP, I did upgrade the system to an i7 system because I am now using the system to run a bunch of VMs. I need to sell of my E6300 and my Intel DG45ID motherboard. PM me if you are interested in buying the combo from me.

Link to the mobo

i would go with a AMD or Intel CPU with an nvidia 8x00 series motherboard.... the ATI/AMD chipset doesnt support 7.1 HD audio over HDMI correctly.

I love my AMD setups, I have 2 HTPCs....

Do not use a intel IGP for a HTPC........

I've been running a US2H and 245 since August with no problems. Lack of 7.1 wasn't a big deal to me but might be something to consider.

Not sure how well the onboard video is on the Intel combo. If it is proven to play 1080p without a hitch, go for the cheaper combo. However, you're not comparing apples to apples here, the AMD mobo is MUCH better than the Intel mobo. The 785g is a fantastic board for 1080p playback and other rigorous tasks. It can unlock cores on some AMD chips as well (if you're into that). Get two motherboards that are on par with each other, then compare.

The regor is a GREAT chip for HTPC use as it is very low power consuming. The Intel can be undervolted and still perform well, but I'm not sure how the numbers would look.

Intel will give you better performance and usually a better performance/watt (but it varies a lot per chip) My HTPC setups are all using AMD mainly for price. Really don't have complaints with their gear.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I decided to take Brom42 up on his offer. I figured this will get me up and going and then down the road, when the Clarkdale falls in my price range, I'll build a new setup around it. Then pass this setup to my sister's husband to play with. He's a mechanic/gear head and I'm slowly turning him into a fellow computer geek! haha. Got him to build his first gaming pc this summer and he was really into it. Once I get this setup and projecting on the big screen, I'm sure he's going to want to get setup too. :D

Thanks for all the advice guys. I decided to take Brom42 up on his offer. I figured this will get me up and going and then down the road, when the Clarkdale falls in my price range, I'll build a new setup around it. Then pass this setup to my sister's husband to play with. He's a mechanic/gear head and I'm slowly turning him into a fellow computer geek! haha. Got him to build his first gaming pc this summer and he was really into it. Once I get this setup and projecting on the big screen, I'm sure he's going to want to get setup too. :D

If you're interested I have an old Antec Fusion sitting around. PM if interested.

Back