Barton 2800XP Unlocking

heslo

2[H]4U
Hey fellas, been a while since I've posted here but I recently got a 2800 for my girlfriend to put in her PC and I want to overclock it a little.i I've read some online guides saying to connect the 5th L3 bridge but on my CPU it hasn't been cut however the 1st and 2nd L3 bridges have been. How is it then that I go about unlocking this chip?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Well, since I don't have any super cooling in her PC, I don't want it running too hot so my idea was to lower the multiplier and up the FSB to 400MHz instead of the standard 333MHz. If you think that the jump from 333 to 400 with the multiplier stuck at 12.5 giving me 2.5GHz is safe, then I'll by all means do it

why not just up it slightly? to like, 185 or something?

bartons should be unlocked on nForce 2 mobos, EXCEPT for the newer ones, which are locked, and as far as i know, are impossible to unlock (at least, the last time i checked they couldn't be, this could have changed since then tho)

also, you could get something like the Zalman 7000Cu, which cools very well, and is nice and quite (need 4 mounting holes tho)

What week is your processor?

2nd line, should read something like 03xx or 04xx, if it's 0339 or greater, most likely your barton is indeed locked, and can only be unlocked by changing it into a 'mobile barton' which isn't a hard mod to do... The multipliers that you will have at your selection are probably at that point 11 or lower. To get any higher multipliers, most like you will have to cut the substrate of your chip. If you have a 0339 or lesser, you're good to go.. pop it in a nforce2 or a kt400 or greater and you should be golden!

just a question....what could your gf do with a 2.8 that she couldnt do with a 1.0?

Originally posted by huxley
just a question....what could your gf do with a 2.8 that she couldnt do with a 1.0?

2800+ is not 2.8GHz, but you have the right idea. If it's not your computer, and the user is going to be light to medium with probably little or no gaming, there is no point in overclocking. It just has the potential to decrease stability and lifetime.

For many users, stability and durability are much more important than speed.

My parents have a 1700+ with a nice stepping, but I'll never touch it because they don't need the speed.

Thanks for the help guys, next time I'm at my g/fs place I'll check the week of the processor. As for your question huxley, two reasons. One, she likes to also play games, a little bit of UT2k4 here and there, and at times she goes old school with Diablo 2 (which granted doesn't need a 2800XP to run fine) but mostly it's due to the fact that I've also got the PC running F@H and I snapped up a good deal on the chip so I thought why not get it and have it running F@H for team [H]:)

diredesire, with this mobile barton mod, you got any documentation about it? While I was surfing I came across it but from how I read it (might be wrong) I took it that the multiplier could only be changed through software in Windows. Please tell me if I'm wrong...

Cheers :)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=244237

That's all i could come up with... i can't find the actual page at which it'll show you which bridges to cut...

I've heard if you just bridge it and turn it into a mobile barton you have unlocked multipliers up to 11x, which isn't really useful, IMO I haven't tried it yet since i've been trying to get all my new hardware sorted out... It's been taking a while :p

You are correct though, you use the AMD Power Now! Technology to change the multiplier in windows.

Originally posted by slaya
Would this work?

http://3dcool.com/?module=product&sku=SSA1

Nope :\

It'll work for 0339 and lower chips, but that wouldn't be necessary unless you're running a VIA chipset, which unless i'm totally off base, will unlock the chips for you anyways, since tbred-b's and later are pre-unlocked from the factory.. (i know an 1800+ tbredb was unlocked in my KT400 board)

damn man, cool girll friend you have there haha, mine calls me a nerd for my UT obsession

Originally posted by Munka
damn man, cool girll friend you have there haha, mine calls me a nerd for my UT obsession

Hehe, thanks man, yeah, she is something special :D

Originally posted by angrybusdriver
2800+ is not 2.8GHz, but you have the right idea. If it's not your computer, and the user is going to be light to medium with probably little or no gaming, there is no point in overclocking. It just has the potential to decrease stability and lifetime.

For many users, stability and durability are much more important than speed.

My parents have a 1700+ with a nice stepping, but I'll never touch it because they don't need the speed.
Yes, I recently upgraded my parents to a 600mhz and I got rave reviews

Well pending how far you're looking to OC the chip. My 2800+ Runs quite nicely at 2400mhz @ 100F in a cr@ppy little case. (12x200) (Painting my full tower) And that is with a 20 dollor heatsink. Thermailtake Vol 11 /w the VSF-II. You should be fine. I would not suggest anything higher then this without further cooling. I'm placing an order for my SP-97 /w 92mm Tornado soon.

Yes, I recently upgraded my parents to a 600mhz and I got rave reviews

wow, i helped my dad build a nice 2200+ with dual channel 512mb ram, winxp pro, and a nice 7200rpm 40gig hdd - this was to replace my moms 7-8yr old gateway P2 266mhz, it was great when she first turned it on, and it started in under 40sec (old one took 8min) she thought she had a supercomputer on her hands, the best part was it only cost $500

Back