Ballistix vs ballistix tracer?

Sparrow_69

Gawd
Is the only difference the leds? The 2x1gb pc6400 is only 5$ difference between the normal version and the tracer. leds do seem nice, but I've read they produce their fair share of heat

I did not know the LED's gave off that much heat??

I would always get the Tracers,as they look mucho better. :cool: I have four 2x1 kits of Tracers PC6400 4-4-4-12,and all of them will do over 1100 with ease (2.10v or 2.15v)

Tracers all the way. Its runs fast and looks cool when your showing off your rig lol

same dimensions. and if you're worried about heat, the ballistix may not be for you. they have always been the hottest memory i've tested, for both ddr1 and 2. ;)

tracers for the win, 2 2g ddr21066 kits though they each are running ddr2800 @ 44412 1.8v

Is the difference just the LEDs though? If you don't care about the LEDs and you can't see in your PC case, is it better not to get the tracers and save cash?

If you don't have a side window, or don't even care about the flashy lights - just go for the standard ballistix. It's really all upto you. If the LEDs are worth 5 extra bucks for you, sure go for them. If not, why bother - you can just save the 5 bucks and get a happy meal.

I personally am not fond of lights in my pc, so I chose the one without LEDs.

same dimensions. and if you're worried about heat, the ballistix may not be for you. they have always been the hottest memory i've tested, for both ddr1 and 2. ;)

no you mean per-watt or just because they expect a higher voltage?

anyways, Yeah heat mangement in my P180B is becoming quite a head-ache. the hottest GPU core available coupled with the hottest chipset available, coupled with a 1.48V 3.5GHz E6300, and, apparently, some of the hottest ram available.

Looks like the idea I had for building come custom fan brackets (2X 80mm fans in 5" bays intake, custom fan mount for ram, water cooling) might have to become more then nice ideas :(

But yeah, this system runs hella hot.

No, he means hot as in operating temperature...And not necessarily at greatly overvolted/clocked settings either. IIRC, he mentions heat being a bit of an issue even @ stock, in either a DDR1 or DDR2 review. Bottom line is you should have good case cooling anyway, and if it's not up to par, slap a fan near the RAM to cool them down, esp. if you're going to overclock a lot.

FWIW, with my side panel off (8003=25cm fan panel), my Ballistix gets fairly warm @ stock, 'decently' hot overclocked, and still fairly warm w/ the panel back on (o/c)...Nothing really to worry about though, as long as you're not nuts on the volts. Besides - lifetime warranty from a reputable company, I doubt RMA w/ them is an issue at all (never done w/ Crucial/Micron, so can't say yay/nay).

[edit] And and no need to make a custom RAM fan mount IMHO. Ghetto FTW! Just zip tie a fan above the slots and you're good to go.

kush nailed it on the head ;)

this is what i do for cooling:

d2.jpg

Back