Baldurs Gate 3 - Official Discussion Thread (2019)

Walmart gamecenter magazine there is a screenshot on the page after with a Npc mage in a swamp looks sick.

20230721_030215.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently you are not allowed to customize your character's face, but you are allowed to customize their junk. I can't even, what is this clown world?

Apparently you are not allowed to customize your character's face, but you are allowed to customize their junk. I can't even, what is this clown world?

What are you talking about? Of course you can. (unless I missed a joke somehwere)

I got banned for 3 days on Steam's BG3 forums for promoting Valari Pillows =) First day I'm unbanned going to start another thread called PC Brag thread then going to plug Valari pillows. The mods there are on high alert because of all the negative posts.

You didn't say sliders...you said customization. There are many options to customize your character's face.
To me customization implies sliders or any other method to create your own unique character. Selecting from presets is not customization.
Imagine a racing game saying it has car customization, and it turns out the customization is that you can choose from 5 pre-made options.

I got banned for 3 days on Steam's BG3 forums for promoting Valari Pillows =) First day I'm unbanned going to start another thread called PC Brag thread then going to plug Valari pillows. The mods there are on high alert because of all the negative posts.
Let me ask the obvious question: Why are you promoting these?
It's not a product that many people are going to take seriously I think.

It beats rotator cuff surgery and living with neck pain.
I can see that if you already have a pre-existing injury or health issue, but I have been gaming for 35 years at this point and don't have any wrist, shoulder, back, or neck issues.

I can see that if you already have a pre-existing injury or health issue, but I have been gaming for 35 years at this point and don't have any wrist, shoulder, back, or neck issues.

Yeah but do you have a physical job?

I beat you. I’ve been gaming since the winter of 1985 - that’s 38 years!

God that went by fast? I can remember, like it was yesterday, that cold afternoon, out of school and out of work, walking into Super Software, and paying $50 for an Infocom text adventure. I didn’t even know what I was buying. The packaging was just amazing: a booklet, a map, a glow-in-the-dark magic stone.

I went home that night and spent eight hours on my pc without turning it off. I had a green monochrome monitor back then.

I remember my first ZX Spectrum (Sinclair) in all of its 48K glory (we were slightly jealous when C64 came out).

Or years later when I played Eye of The Beholder and thought RPGs will never get better than this.....

Just picked up a 25 year old Baldurs Gate guide and 2nd age Ultima Online Prima.

These two games have so much depth going to be cool to see what I missed the quality is labeled as very good hope they are ok.

The only guide I really used was the New Vegas guide.

Just picked up a 25 year old Baldurs Gate guide and 2nd age Ultima Online Prima.

These two games have so much depth going to be cool to see what I missed the quality is labeled as very good hope they are ok.

The only guide I really used was the New Vegas guide.
Makes me want to give New Vegas another run through. Probably one of the more enjoyable experiences I've had in gaming.

Just picked up a 25 year old Baldurs Gate guide

Without a doubt the most powerful builds are human dual-class builds. Ranger>cleric, fighter>mage, thief>mage...

I really like thief>mage because it means your first character can find traps and open locks, and there are no good thieves in BG2 for good-aligned parties.

Ah, can't be like NWN1 where anybody can go recruit "halfling death".

Nope, and NWN2 has the same problem when you get to MotB. No thieves, but plenty of locks and traps. I did a similar thing there, wizard/rogue until arcane trickster/eldritch knight.

The only reasonable explanation I've heard for lack of sliders is that they wanted to motion capture the facial animations so they limited the faces to the people that were being motion captured. Hence why every character is ugly nowadays.

The only reasonable explanation I've heard for lack of sliders is that they wanted to motion capture the facial animations so they limited the faces to the people that were being motion captured. Hence why every character is ugly nowadays.
Based on the interview I linked that is not true for this game.

And it is not true in general either since the characters in games usually look nothing like their mocap actors. Unless it is their specific goal to make them look like that. Characters are ugly because they are the devs self inserts and or made to look ugly for political reasons.

Without a doubt the most powerful builds are human dual-class builds. Ranger>cleric, fighter>mage, thief>mage...

I really like thief>mage because it means your first character can find traps and open locks, and there are no good thieves in BG2 for good-aligned parties.

Yeah anything dual/multiclassed with fighter imo ends up being super strong.

Or they didn't want to put them in because some company patented the customization of faces with sliders and they didn't want to pay the licensing fees for it or get sued later by some patent troll.

Cyberpunk 2077 didn't have sliders either (despite the implied emphasis on customization pre-release). Some expect it was due to making all the clothing model fitting easier for the devs.

Cyberpunk 2077 didn't have sliders either (despite the implied emphasis on customization pre-release). Some expect it was due to making all the clothing model fitting easier for the devs.
It didn't have body sliders for which fitting outfits could be an excuse if morph targets hadn't been invented decades ago. But it had at least face sliders. And BTW I criticized it heavily for the underwhelming character creator after they touted it as being next level.

But there is absolutely no excuse, not even lame ones for not having face sliders in BG3.

But it had at least face sliders. And BTW I criticized it heavily for the underwhelming character creator after they touted it as being next level.
? Cyberpunk's facial customization were similarly all presets. Eyes, nose, etc were just IDs you selected.

? Cyberpunk's facial customization were similarly all presets. Eyes, nose, etc were just IDs you selected.
I don't recall that, it was almost 3 years ago, but I remember you could achieve pretty high levels of customization of the face, unlike in this game where they pride themselves on not allowing customization because "players make boring characters"

Really? Look what happened to Cyberpunk 2077 his Cyber Punk appearance was forgettable unless you knew about it.

Not saying that just don't want a poster child who streams for a living in the game.

Like the whole bear thing wasn't a clue? :)

"We took the most annoying part of the game that you only did for the XP bump and free plate mail and made it a core feature! (because we never played the game past chapter 1)."

Nothing in preload yet signs point to just having loading the game on the 3rd which sucks since it's a 150 gigs game will take me 2 days to download for me anyway.Suppose I could go to my brother's house and download it in a few hours.

Back