Balancing Frequencies?

d34dly

2[H]4U
Ok so I recently got an awesome deal on this setup. I am using it hooked up to my computer from my Audigy 2 ZS

Yamaha YHT-450

Sounds great except for one thing... I am having trouble balancing the speakers. IT seems the bass is just too much for the front mains... in other words it distorts and I can't seem to fix it.

It happens more specifically with sounds from Winamp. The subwoofer is performing very nicely, but it doesn't seem to be getting enough volume. The crossover is set at 80hz.

I don't know what else I might try and do.

How is the sound card connected to the receiver? The analog ins or the SPDIF? Is the subwoofer 'on' in the receiver and do you have the mains set to small (instead of large)?

When you use the system playing say, a CD from a regular CD player - do you have the same problem? It's hard to tell whether its an issue with the receiver/speakers or the computer and they way it's setup.

Yeah I am using the analog ins...

Everything else is set so I will try changing the speaker size on the reciever.

Make sure the Main's are set as "Small" in the Speaker Size menu. If your reciever has Bass/Treble Tone Controls on the front panel, turn the Bass down a bit. Those Tone Controls will only adjust the Main channels. So turn Bass down till the distortion's gone.

It could just be an eq thing in the sound card settings. I dont have an Audigy 2 so I don't know how their equalization or speaker level settings work, but I know on my sound card you can control the volume of each speaker in the settings as well as the low frequencies - if the Audigy has this you might want to turn it off so it just outputs the unchanged signal to the receiver. Good luck.

Back