Baking your paint in the oven?

C_H_A

Limp Gawd
Anybody ever done this? I'm wondering what temp & duration to use to help cure each coat.
Any references for me to read-up on?
Thanks for the input.

well, look at the paint specs. it should tell you the optimal paint curing temps, but I'm pretty sure an oven will get too hot.

I've done it - it works OK.

About 140ºF for 5 or 6 hours seemed to work OK. It will really stink up the house at first as it degasses so open your windows if possible....

Some say your oven will explode because of the fumes, others say it works great. :confused:

You can cure paint in an oven. I've done it several times. Put the oven on it's lowest setting. If it can't go lower than 200, then turn it off after it's heated-up. Wait a little while, then put your pieces in. Be advised that the oven probably won't be food-safe for a while.

i'd try and find a cheap electric one you can stick in the garage so you can still use the other for food and so it wont stink up so much...

as for the exploding part...i find that kinda hard to belive, although it would be wise to open it a crack and vent it some every once in a while

Thanks again guys.
I went to a few different manafacturer sites & read their application recommendations. Nothing about baking. :mad:
Plasti-Kote dries itself in 30 minutes & can be polished after a week. I guess that's quick enough for me.

I have used ovens for years to cure paint. The biggest bennefit to doing this is the paint smooths out better when its heated wet which will result in a better shine and reduced orange peel. Be advised that plastic parts will warp and melt if the oven is left on while there are parts in it. Bigger parts may be ok, but smaller parts are at the highest risk.
Like someone else said and I've said for a long time, heat the oven up, turn it off, wait a min for the coils to cool, insert your parts and let them cure. If your doing larger parts, you can most likely put them on the top rack, leave the oven on at low and leave the door cracked open. For smaller parts, (I.E. Drive bay covers, Etc) when you turn the oven off and put your pieces in, you will probably need to close the door to keep from loosing too much heat. It's best to find some small "doner" parts and test out what you can get away with.

-EDIT- I learned the hard way with a 21" Trinitron adjustment panel cover. :(
DSC00127.JPG

Back