Bad Swiftech ApogeeXT Temps!

ChucklesC6

Weaksauce
As title indicates, I'm a bit anxious about my temps with Q6700 cooled on a single cpu loop by my ApogeeXT.

I'm getting temps of 40c,37,37,37 on my q6700 at idle. I have my office air conditioned at a regular 72-5F. Under P95 small fft I'm getting 66-68C :eek:

I've reseated multiple times, reapplied TIM 3 different ways (spread, dot, line).
[email protected]
3.6ghz, 360X10 / 1440FSB

Is something wrong? I'm thinking this block may just be one of the poorly machined blocks they've sent out. I'm wanting to pick up a HeatKiller 3.0 and see if the temps get better?

LMK what you guys think.

Need a bit more info. how many fans @ what RPM on your MCR320? Also another possibility might be you have the inlet/outlet installation backwards, or your block orientation is wrong. See the LegitReviews' article for picture reference.

Some pics might help us in determining what's wrong also, the temp seems to be a bit high for your W/C setup.

I've got 3xScythe S-Flex 49CFM pushing, with 2 Noiseblocker NB-Multiframe M12-S3HS 1800RPM 27DBA 73CFM pull
Block is installed correctly. I may disassemble and check for blockage if anything else.

Edit: Also running Distilled water+PTNuke. I can get pics later, but theres no wire obstruction or anything (my wires are sleeved and routed behind the Mobo tray). Radiator sits on the bottom of my case, draws cool air from the bottom.

Last edited:
strange part I left out.

Cores #0 and #1 run above 60 in p95. mid to high range 60's actually.
Cores #2 and #3 run mid to high 50's in P95 (small fft).

Is this just a case of needing to be lapped? I just find my idles to be higher than everybody else's. Usually people report idle in the 20's.

Sounds like either air in the tubes, or the block is mounted wrong. Swifttech was serious about making sure the side with 3 screws lined up parallel with the socket latch arm.

I get only slightly worse temps than those on a I7 860 @4.2 and a decently clocked 5870, using a single loop through a pa120.2.

Don't even have my 5870 in the loop. :(
100% sure it's mounted correctly.

No air in the lines either.

I think I'm left with disassembling the block to look for blockage/debris. I was hoping to spend 100 on adding my 5870 to the loop, but now it looks like I might need to spend that on a HK3.0.

Well if you're getting 37C idle and high 50s load on some of your cores, that doesn't sound terrible. However, your idle temp is really bad unless you have some freakish weather where you live. I would try lapping. (I used to have this block with a 2x120 and had ~25C load on my i5 750)

the heat spreaders on both core2s that ive owned were several thousandths away from flat. it could be a combination of that and maybe you didnt put the thermal paste on well enough or got a small air pocket in there? i would take it all apart, clean it, and reassemble before anything else and see of just doing that makes a difference. yes its a pain, but it doesnt cost you any money to try.

I'll probably drain the system and reassemble just to make sure. Hope I don't need to buy a new WB.

Just thought I'd update:
I have since switched to a 1366 i7 cpu. I had an inkling of a suspicion that these newer waterblocks were somehow designed for newer socket procs.
My temps without any changes, meaning I did not drain the loops or check for blockage like I had said I would, were what I think are more in line with what I have seen from similar setups. Maybe the block doesn't perform as well on 775 processors? I have no idea, but my highest load temp on my 4.2ghz i7 is 61c, 5c cooler than on my 3.6 Q6700, and quite chilly for an i7.

what were you using to load the processor and for how long? that would support my theory that the block was not correctly seated before. at any rate, good to see you figured something out.

linx and p95 (one at a time). I reseated and reapplied AS5 & the block 4-5 times on the 775 cpu and could not get the temps down.

also, my idle temps on the i7 don't seem to be that great acutally, however my load temps are wonderful. i need to stick a temp probe into my reservoir to see what kind of water temps i'm working with. also needed to note that ambient was pretty warm in side the case, with my board reporting about 24-28c.

Back