Bad Ram? Bad Mobo? or both?

Eliot

Weaksauce
Okay.. Components

Abit nf7-s 1.1 mobo (newest bios), corsair xms 3200 2x256 at cas 2, 430w ps...

I original ran the system for a year with a 2400+ and it worked fine at default speeds with ram timings all the way up to 2/2/2/5... no problems on default... but I never could overclock the sucker... couldn't change the fsb at all.

Then, my brother-in-law gets a 2500+ that he can't use in his old mobo, so I trade him my 2400+ for the 2500+ and low and behold it boots fine, and then i get file errors... crashes... and eventually a corrupt hard drive.

Long story short, that's the same problem that would happen when i'd overclock my 2400+

So, i underclock the 2500 and it installs winxp fine, no problems, and runs fine for hours, but whenever i clock it back up to DEFAULT 2500 it crashes out or corrupts the file system.

So... i'm down to, either I have a bad mobo or bad ram

I run memtest86, i always get errors in test 6 with either stick of ram or both together....

so the possibilities are 1) bad ram, both sticks

2) bad mobo with bad memory hardware

3) both

So I don't know what to do... get a new mobo... get new ram???

help....

-Eliot-

Hmmm ... sounds like a bad mobo ... go out get a nf7s2.0 and see if the problem persists ... if it does get some generic ram ... that should let you see whats wrong ...

I'm guessing since you only have v1.1 of the board, it might be the mobo.. RMA it to Abit and say the barton wont run stock on it.. they might send you a free 2.0

Try testing the memory in a different computer. Will it run 200fsb at any multiplier?

Nope, won't run a 400mhz fsb, but will run at 400 asyncronous with a 266fsb...

Recently I upped the voltage a bit and it ran at default 2500+ for a while... I even tried doing a burn in over night and it ran the whole time... until at some point today it crashed for no reason again and I had to reinstall windows. So frustrating.

Back