bad peformance..

firey-eyez

Gawd
ive lately been getting really bad performance with my 9600XT (gigabyte) gfx board. on CoD: UO and FT ive noticed substantially lower framerates. granted CoD: UO is an openGL game but before when i was playing it i had it at 4x aa and 4x af (i believe) but now it's not playable at those settings anymore. ive lowered the aa and af to zero for opengl performance using ATi tool and i've OC'd it to 600/340..and the performance is STILL barely playable-many times not at all. im talking 20 fps here...alot of times even 10 or below. in FT too, i used to get about 60 FPS continuos (it has an fps cap) but now im getting around 38-50..offline and online. it stutters a bit when i hover over my base or in higher combat situations; somethings its never done before. what gives?? ive checked for spyware using adaware and ive checked the task manager for odd, extra programs..nothing. the only thing i changed is i DLed the new catalyst drivers..they are the right one for my card though. i cant think of what could cause the performance to actually be lower when i set aa/af lower AND when i OC the card. the thing is not even a year old now. fortunately im planning on getting an X800XT soon. hopefully the problem is with this card and not something else =[

i noticed the same thing on my sapphire 9600 atlantis........after i installed the new drivers.....games stutter, solder of fortune doesn't hardly work at all.......i wonder if there is a problem with the drivers......i set the anti aliasing and af to appliciation controlled after i noticed the trouble.......haven't had a chance to try the games yet though.....i will let you know if it changed anything :mad:

What I always do : format. If you don't want to, boot into safe mode, run driver cleaner twice, re-install latest drivers, defrag after, etc.

firey-eyez said:
i feel stupid :(
No need for that. Asking when you don't know is safer and faster than trial and error. Though sometimes trial and error can be an awful lot of fun too! :D

BTW if you do not set the AA to app preference in the control panel it is forcing on AA which is a huge hit on those cards.

on the left side of the updated driver at ati.com.......theres a note that says you need to get a net1.1 update from microsoft before you install the drivers. i clicked the link, installed the update.....then installed the drivers and control panel, what a difference, it runs smooth again and the picture is unreal for this card. it is the sapphire 9600 atlantis card. the only thing i need to know is how does it give me the temps, i couldn't find anything for it, or is there something else i can get that will, please pm me and let me know. :D

thanks guys! its back to normal. in fact i think it might even be a bit faster now..i was running COD:UO on max quality @ 1600 and it was playable =] its such a relief to have my frames back much <3 to you all :p

Back