Bad Company 2 @ 5760x1200 on 5870?

Sparrow_69

Gawd
Is anyone running BC2 on an eyefinity setup with a single 5870? I've tried to find out what type of gameplay experience I can expect with the system in my sig, but can't seem to find any specific info.. I'd be interested in knowing what settings ppl are using and what kind of performance they are getting. MW2 ran flawlessly @ 5760x1200 maxed out with 16x af, but it seems that BC2 is more of a system hog..

You have to know what to turn off to get the best performance. I play at 5760x1080 and with HBAO off, 1xAA, everything else on high.

Dx9 mode easily gets 60+ fps
Dx10/11 is still 45+ fps and still feels smooth to me.

Tried it out for kicks a bit ago and got 31 FPS (avg) on my system with all settings on high and eyefinity resolution of 5760x1080. Seems reasonable, since the reviews that I 've seen of 2560x1600 have it running 36-38 FPS avg at that resolution.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/4
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/battlefield-bad-company-2_5.html#sect1

Is crossfire working properly? Framerate seems low. Have you tried MW2 w/eyefinity?

You have to know what to turn off to get the best performance. I play at 5760x1080 and with HBAO off, 1xAA, everything else on high.

With those settings, and in DX11, I get 44 FPS average in single card mode and 73 FPS average crossfired.

For the life of me, I can't get BC2 working properly with CrossFire enabled. But that could be because I'm running in Dx9 mode. Dunno.

Is crossfire working properly? Framerate seems low. Have you tried MW2 w/eyefinity?
Crossfire+eyefinity works fine for me with 5870s and @ 5760x1080 or 6024x1080 (bezel compensation).

I don't have MW2. I have Metro 2033, Aliens vs Predator and BFBC2 for FPS games; Dirt 2 and NFS Shift for driving games.

Last edited:
With those settings, and in DX11, I get 44 FPS average in single card mode and 73 FPS average crossfired.

Ok I'm intrigued now since you're running xfire with BC2. I've heard mixed feedback from people doing that (input lag / stuttering).

Does your mobo run both PCI-E lanes at x16 or x8?

It runs 1 slot at 16x or two slots at x8/x8

Last edited:

This right here might convince me to bite the bullet and buy 3 monitors to pair with my new 5870... :eek:

How is playing in portrait mode? My desk may not be large enough for 3x in landscape...

This right here might convince me to bite the bullet and buy 3 monitors to pair with my new 5870... :eek:

How is playing in portrait mode? My desk may not be large enough for 3x in landscape...

I don't really play in portrait mode. I never actually saw a 16:9 monitor in portrait until I got these Dell P2310H for eyefinity... and boy they're skinny as hell. I put them up once for the hell of it but quickly changed back. I like landscape a lot more.

If your desk isn't large enough... get a larger desk ;)

I don't really play in portrait mode. I never actually saw a 16:9 monitor in portrait until I got these Dell P2310H for eyefinity... and boy they're skinny as hell. I put them up once for the hell of it but quickly changed back. I like landscape a lot more.

If your desk isn't large enough... get a larger desk ;)

Lol.. that was my reaction too when I got my P2310H's.. I try to make myself realize that 21-22" 16:10 monitors would actually physically be just as narrow in portrait even though they aren't as relatively skinny looking..

Also it takes about 5 1/2 feet of space depending on how flat you arrange the monitors unless you plan on getting 3 of those 28" you are using.

How are you guys getting the framerate (fraps, timedemo)? Is 44fps avg playable? Doesn't really tell anything about any dips in the framerate...

How are you guys getting the framerate (fraps, timedemo)? Is 44fps avg playable? Doesn't really tell anything about any dips in the framerate...

I'm not recording it. I play a lot of multiplayer (over 50 hours) and all of it was in eyefinity with my aforementioned settings. I fire up fraps just to check my FPS, but never benched it or anything. Right now I'm playing in Dx9 due to the faster loading. If however Dx11 loaded just as fast as Dx9, I'd be using that since the FPS loss doesn't really affect the smoothness of the game for me. Dips only happen when a tank explodes in my face and a lot of other smoke effects go off at the same time. The game is very smooth and I'm very happy with it.

Woah, hold up, DX9 mode gets the loading speed back to where it should be? I'm definitely fixing that when I get home!

I haven't decided if the 28in bezels are too big or not.. they also don't have a stand that supports portrait mode(although they would certainly be wide enough) and require an adapter. It would cost about 170 more to get NEC IPS panels instead and leave the 28 as a tv for another room.

44fps avg is very playable in this game if you are on a single card, at least that's been my experience looking at my friends performances.

After playing BC2 for about a day with one card, I ordered another. The FPS bottom out in heavy gunfire on 32 player.

Just did 3 runs of crossfired to compare to single card:

In single card mode, average of 44, minimum of 23 and max of 62
In crossfire-x mode, average of 76, minimum of 51, max of 117

That's running the same settings that Intel_Hydralisk mentioned, earlier, @ 5760x1080 (Eyefinity).

BC2 crossfire eyefinity is broken. You get great fps but it feels laggy unless you go back to 1 card or just 1 monitor. There are a few threads here and more on widescreengamingforum with this same problem. Dont make the same mistake I did and blow 400$ on a second card, 150$ on a bigger power supply and tons of time trying to get it to not feel laggy, but it just does. Went back to one card and 60fps feels amazing where 100 with crossfire felt like 20-30.

I noticed, in Dirt 2, that when FRAPS was running my benchmark FPS was, on average, about 10 FPS lower than when FRAPS wasn't running. I don't know if that is the case with BFBC2 since it doesn't have a built-in benchmarking utility.

Well I'm running it on a 5970 and have dropped down to 5040x900 (4800x900 with bezel correction). It means you can get great framerates whilst still switching everything on. It looks better than native resolution without HBAO, IMO but YMMV. Lightning and shadows are much more realistic but it's a hefty performance hit.

BC2 crossfire eyefinity is broken. You get great fps but it feels laggy unless you go back to 1 card or just 1 monitor. There are a few threads here and more on widescreengamingforum with this same problem. Dont make the same mistake I did and blow 400$ on a second card, 150$ on a bigger power supply and tons of time trying to get it to not feel laggy, but it just does. Went back to one card and 60fps feels amazing where 100 with crossfire felt like 20-30.

SoniCraze - My experience is the same as yours as you know.

Zc1 - your feedback interests me greatly as you have a very similar setup to me (400mhz more on the CPU). Your frames increase with xfire is good but does it feel just the same as having one card in? Not talking frames here but just smoothness. I have tried both xfired 5870s and a 5970 and both setups feel laggy compared to a single GPU. At low settings in BC2 it's not too bad but as I start to crank up the settings, even to medium, their is noticeable lag (what I would call input lag versus my mouse movements).

I popped my 5870 back in tonight after a few days of duel GPUs and it's a far better experience for me in BC2 with the same settings. I would really like to hang onto the 5970 but at this point I am going to sell it along with the second 5870.

UPDATE: Crysis Warhead is also way smoother with 1 GPU at the same settings. Even at all minimum settings 1 GPU is smoother :(

Last edited:
I get twice as much FPS with a single card in eyefinity. Crossfire cuts my frames in half, in every game I try to play.

Works great with a single monitor....3 not so much.

Zc1 - your feedback interests me greatly as you have a very similar setup to me (400mhz more on the CPU). Your frames increase with xfire is good but does it feel just the same as having one card in? Not talking frames here but just smoothness. I have tried both xfired 5870s and a 5970 and both setups feel laggy compared to a single GPU. At low settings in BC2 it's not too bad but as I start to crank up the settings, even to medium, their is noticeable lag (what I would call input lag versus my mouse movements).
Hi Spree. I took some time this afternoon to play the same scene in BC2 back-to-back-to-back in crossfire vs single card mode and failed to see any difference in smoothness or input translation whatsoever when in Eyefinity mode. I will try a single-monitor resolution or two as well and let you know what I find there.

Edit: Tried 1920x1080 as well as 1600x900 and didn't see any difference in smoothness, nor did I experience any problems with input lag. Either my eyes and/or brain aren't sensitive enough to detect a difference or there is no significant difference to detect on my system.

Last edited:
Back