Backup woes...recommended software?

c1001

Gawd
I have a ReadyNAS NV+ to which I am trying to backup 500gb of DVD movie files that I've ripped. I've tried using Windows XP copy and paste/drag and drop. I get the following error: "Error Copying File or Folder. Cannot copy (File Name): The specific network name is no longer available".

Some portion of the file does copy over to the ReadyNas NV+ as it shows up in Windows Explorer. If I try to open it it fails to open. If I try to delete it I get the following error mesage: "Cannot delete (File name) It is being used by another person or program. Close any program that might be using the file and try again". This happens even though no programs are open. I've tried rebooting the unit, but I still can't delete it.

The NAS comes with Retrospect 6.0 I've tried that and get: "Windows - Delayed Write Failed. Windows was unable to save all the data for the file (File Name) the data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection". Then Retrospect crashes.

The NAS also comes with Genie Backup Manager 6.0. which worked fine on another NAS, but now it is crapping out on me as well. I've been backing up the 500gb with no compression for over 21 hours now (55%) and it has backed up 162 files and skipped over 4000 files. The files are not corrupted. I've burned DVDs from them. I looked at the files that have been backed up and they are all under 60kb, so none of the mb and gb sized .vob files are getting backed up.

Any ideas?

have you tried backing up the files in safe mode? you might just have a startup process that is using files in that folder that you dont realize is open.

Back