backup solution - physical vs vlan networks

[wizard]

Limp Gawd
My company is currently looking for a new backup solution for our Windows 2008/2012 server farm of about 10 physical servers and 50 Hyper-V virtual machines.

Our current backup solution requires all servers to be 'multi-homed' with one physical network card plugged into an 'internet' or production switch, and one physical network card plugged into a 'backup' switch that does not have a gateway and no route to any other network.

the backup solution we use today has a network connection on the backup network and replicates the data to the backup server using this network only. Our server restores, also only use this network.

It appears new backup methodologies call for a single network switch (or a stack of) with VLANs for Internet and Backup networks instead of physically segregated switches.

With today's network switch hardware speeds and latency so high, how do I decide if now is the time to rethink my network switch layout? Does this only come down to throughput speeds or are there other things I should think about?

Yes, use VLANs, unless you have security concerns/reasons to keep the network switches air-gaped.

For our MSP we use VLANs. I have the VLAN1 for management and infrastructure, VLAN10 for Servers, VLAN11 for iSCSI, VLAN20 for Workstations, VLAN30 for VoIP phones and PBX, and VLAN40 for our repair depot. I don't have any issues, and my firewall cluster is what routes betweeen VLANs for us.

Back