Backing up networked computers

jtvd78

Limp Gawd
WHS has been great, and all, but I've grown out of it. I feel like it isn't advanced enough, and doesn't offer enough features. It almost feels restricted because it is made to be easy to use, and because its for a home enviroment. I want to move on to a more advanced OS like Windows Server 2008 r2, or linux.

The problem is, is that I don't know how I would back up networked computers. Is there a linux distro that supports backup out of the box? If not, how can I accomplish backup?

If there is no other way to backup the computers, could I resort to running WHS in a VM?

WHS might be one of the easier methods without spending a ton of money.

How about Windows Backup and Restore and just set it to a network path?

Get ready to open your wallet if you're interested in the replacement, for it's Server 2012 Business Essentials. EST price $400

Here it is straight from Microsoft:

Q: Will there be a next version of Windows Home Server?
A: No. Windows Home Server has seen its greatest success in small office/home office (SOHO) environments and
among the technology enthusiast community. For this reason, Microsoft is combining the features that were
previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media
streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows
Server 2012 Release Candidate Essentials the ideal first server operating system for both small business and home
use—offering an intuitive administration experience, elastic and resilient storage features with Storage Spaces,
and robust data protection for the server and client computers.

Windows Home Server has seen its greatest success in small office/home office (SOHO) environments and among the technology enthusiast community.... [Therefore, we are canceling development of it.]
gotta love M$

I thought storage server essentials was supposed to have a backup function? I can't find it on the blurbs for 2012 versions and haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

What features do you want/need that WHS doesn't offer? That information will help us reccomend a replacement.

As for running it in a VM, I run WHS 2011 as a VM on my ESXi box. There's nothing from keeping you running it virtually on whatever platform you prefer.

Back