AVX-512 CPUs are being used for cryptomining

We have a downtown store here that has a crypto ATM machine. Since I don't trade in crypto I've never bothered to look and see what coin it trades in.
We have one here and since it went in the only time I have ever heard it talked about “positivity” is when somebody on the local FB page brags about how easy it was to use to pay for something.
For them to inevitably be informed that they were scammed and that you can’t pay your taxes, municipal utilities, etc…. From one of them.

A single coin won't be enough to push shortages. If we get a whole new class of AVX/512 algos, then, perhaps.

The mainstream media is always late on this stuff. CPU mining has been profitable for months now.

When i say more profitable, i mean as in some of my Rome P setups being more profitable than an entire 8 card 3060 Ti rig level.

Yes. Some stores do, and many will accept it by automatically converting it to fiat on their end. Btc is much more useful than some random junk coin that's being pushed here.
Are you making up your own conversation here?

Reactions: Wat
like this
It's sad to see so much coverage of such an obvious trolling of our hilariously weak tech news industry.
1) This isn't a problem.
2) There is no reason for AMD to solve something that isn't a problem.
3) The $3/day of profit is a total lie to begin with. It's more like $2.50 in total revenue minus $3/day in power usage ($0.95 for the CPU, $2.05 for the rest of the system it's installed in)
4) If we pretend that the profit statement weren't a total lie and electricity were free, it's still a $550 CPU. It would take a full 6mos if everything went perfectly simply to break even. That's not going to create some mad CPU-buying rush.

It looks like a lot of people are getting played here. Gotta leverage irrational fears in order to get clicks, I guess.
My friend is the maintenance manager at a conglomerate that owns several apt complexes in the area. His apartment is huge, has 8 unused 20a circuits and he doesn't pay for electricity.

Last edited:
This is significant
👇
When i say more profitable, i mean as in some of my Rome P setups being more profitable than an entire 8 card 3060 Ti rig level.

( I am skeptical of crypto-coins in general but this hasn't stopped miners from minting money of these )

This is significant
👇

( I am skeptical of crypto-coins in general but this hasn't stopped miners from minting money of these )

No it isn't. It's not hard to be more profitable than a 3060Ti setup currently. Even with crypto near ATH's, GPU mining is making pennies a day at best and would never meet a ROI. You might have some people with cards left over from the end of ETH mining turning them back on to see what's out there, but people aren't building mining rigs anymore. CPU mining is only slightly more profitable, and you have the added frustration of trying to offload the shitcoins for either a stablecoin or BTC often at shady exchanges. Ask me how I know...I had a couple hundred bucks worth of Raptoreum that I could never offload, and now it's worth next to nothing.

Anyone who thinks this is going to affect CPU availability is fear mongering.

) They can make many CPU for the time and resource it take to make those big GPUs (a 4090 is 609mm of tsmc 5, a 7950x has 2x71mm)
) A little bit harder to rack CPU than GPUs (does something like a 7950x fit in multi-cpu mobo to start with ?....)
) Without much surprise you can buy right now a 7950x significantly below msrp ($150 rebate at bestbuy.com, a little less on bestbuy.com)

Last edited:
) They can make many CPU for the time and resource it take to make those big GPUs (a 4090 is 609mm of tsmc 5, a 7950x has 2x71mm)
) A little bit harder to rack CPU than GPUs (does something like a 7950x fit in multi-cpu mobo to start with ?....)
) Without much surprise you can buy right now a 7950x significantly below msrp
Yet “news” sites all over are claiming that they have sold out and that they are gone so if you see one snatch it up.

Anyone who thinks this is going to affect CPU availability is fear mongering.
That may be true enough. But maybe all the miners have bought into this story. If you are right, then there will be a lot of used 7950x CPUs on the market soon enough.

Bigger picture, crypto is suddenly hot again. Until it's not. I am not going to risk a year's worth of mortgage payments here.No matter what anyone says, the laws of financial gravity still apply. So does the Greater Fool theory.

How AMD wants to tackle? The Issue?
Frankly why would AMD be upset that people want to buy their CPUS?
Buying a CPU to COMPUTE things... is exactly the point of designing and selling cpus.

So the issue is people want to buy CPUs from AMD... cause they made a capable product that can perform well and sip power while doing it?

I fail to see the issue here for AMD this is a massive win for them. They made a CPU so efficient... that it is competing in compute workloads with GPUs. This seems like a massive marketing win, and potential sales windfall.

AMD is and should be doing a happy dance. That should be the only reaction.

How AMD wants to tackle? The Issue?
Frankly why would AMD be upset that people want to buy their CPUS?
Buying a CPU to COMPUTE things... is exactly the point of designing and selling cpus.

So the issue is people want to buy CPUs from AMD... cause they made a capable product that can perform well and sip power while doing it?

I fail to see the issue here for AMD this is a massive win for them. They made a CPU so efficient... that it is competing in compute workloads with GPUs. This seems like a massive marketing win, and potential sales windfall.

AMD is and should be doing a happy dance. That should be the only reaction.
Hm, double standard here vs Nvidia GPUs being used to compute, eh? Luckily this article is just clickbait and there is no actual issue.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
That may be true enough. But maybe all the miners have bought into this story. If you are right, then there will be a lot of used 7950x CPUs on the market soon enough.

Bigger picture, crypto is suddenly hot again. Until it's not. I am not going to risk a year's worth of mortgage payments here.No matter what anyone says, the laws of financial gravity still apply. So does the Greater Fool theory.

No, they would have never mass bought 7950x's to begin with, so there are no mass quantities of used 7950x's to wait for.

For most people, an 8x3060 Ti rig that is powered off is more profitable than one which is actually mining.

My friend is the maintenance manager at a conglomerate that owns several apt complexes in the area. His apartment is huge, has 8 unused 20a circuits and he doesn't pay for electricity.

Cool. How many of these CPUs is he buying? Don't forget that he's going to need a PSU, mobo, RAM, and boot drive for each one. With free electricity, his breakeven is still 6mos out. He'd get a better return if he just bought shares of NVDA even at today's price.

Hm, double standard here vs Nvidia GPUs being used to compute, eh? Luckily this article is just clickbait and there is no actual issue.
Exactly I don't blame Nvidia for cashing in either. They made a product that does what it is supposed to do well.. and it sells. Hard to imagine why they would want to handicap one market for another... gamers aren't special. If AMD ends up in the same situation good on them.

Its not like some illegal industry is buying these things up. They are being bought to compute.... which is what all of this stuff was designed to do.

Last edited:
Hard to imagine why they would want to handicap one market for another... gamers aren't special.
but "gamers" are special, they are special because they are a market that will always be there year after year, more importantly they are also a market to which there is competitors vying for your customers. Crypto mining is volatile and can disappear in an instant, and it's one where you really dont have much in the way of competition.

Now I'm not saying they should have ignored a market or anything, hell they didnt exactly have method to sell only yo gamers or anything like that. But I do think they did feel it was a market they didn't want to give up any dominance at hence the low hash rate cards.

but "gamers" are special, they are special because they are a market that will always be there year after year, more importantly they are also a market to which there is competitors vying for your customers. Crypto mining is volatile and can disappear in an instant, and it's one where you really dont have much in the way of competition.

Now I'm not saying they should have ignored a market or anything, hell they didnt exactly have method to sell only yo gamers or anything like that. But I do think they did feel it was a market they didn't want to give up any dominance at hence the low hash rate cards.
Na Gamers aren't special. What competition are we talking about ?
We have 2 x86 companies.
We have had 2 GPU companies.... I guess we almost have 3 now. 2.5 ?

I'm not saying they should stop selling to gamers. But if supply and demand makes CPUs or GPUs more expensive. I'm sorry but why would that upset them?

GPUs went to crazy town price wise years ago already. You tell me how many new companies have jumped in to fill the space ?

The answer is zero... Intel is only making GPUs cause they want into the same compute markets Nvidia and AMD are filling now.

Clearly no one is jumping in to fill the segments of the gaming market that Nviida and AMD are under serving or just right up abandoned.

I know it hurts to hear but the alternate compute markets are not going anywhere. Ever.

On the upside. The PC Master race has never been more true.... there are some $ gates for PC gaming.

Back