AVP with DX11 howd I miss it>

Frothing at the mouth in anticipation.

I'm *really* hoping AVP does the previous games justice and this adds even more fuel to the buy RV800 card fire.

Want. Want! WANT!!!!

Should have waited for that DX11 card! As always bad timing

Maybe not a big difference between the games, but there was a HUGE difference between the cards performance. The 5870 doesn't do it for me, but I bet that the new Nvidia cards will, at least I hope so. With 3D Vision, even a GTX 280 is too slow.

Maybe not a big difference between the games, but there was a HUGE difference between the cards performance. The 5870 doesn't do it for me, but I bet that the new Nvidia cards will, at least I hope so. With 3D Vision, even a GTX 280 is too slow.
wow someone actually uses it. so which one of the only two 120Hz monitors do you have? all I see is a DLP tv listed in your sig.

And it rocks just so you know...heck even the edimensional glasses rocked back in the day.
You can also use a real man's display...CRT! ;)
At least 3D Vision works with pretty much any game....how about DX11? lol

same here...but honestly...DX10 and DX9 games...do we REALLY notice anything different? no

True, I remember Crysis DX9 and DX10, I couldn't tell the difference apart from DX9 being much smoother and faster.

Tessellation in reference to 3d modeling is the way in which the models are divided (polygon wise).. their wording is a bit deceiving. Tessellation has been around since 3d models have been around, but all they're saying is that they're using a more impressive method of tessellation, with what appear to be more complicated many-sided polygons.
It's not the most exciting news to me. It seems to have a similar effect as upping the poly count.

That said, AvP was always fun.

same here...but honestly...DX10 and DX9 games...do we REALLY notice anything different? no

No. But this time it has been confirmed that alot of the architecture has been changed from Direct X 10 and you will see a noticeable improvement from DX11.

Tessellation in reference to 3d modeling is the way in which the models are divided (polygon wise).. their wording is a bit deceiving. Tessellation has been around since 3d models have been around, but all they're saying is that they're using a more impressive method of tessellation, with what appear to be more complicated many-sided polygons.
It's not the most exciting news to me. It seems to have a similar effect as upping the poly count.

That said, AvP was always fun.

The best thing about tessellation is that it provides dynamic level of detail. Aliens at a far-away distance can be kept low-detail, and then as they approach the player the tessellation will add detail as needed. There's no need to have massively high-poly models rendered at a distance, so performance is improved. Yes, it really is the same effect as "upping the poly count" but it is much better for performance. It's not like we haven't been able to render high-poly models before, it's just that their typically unwieldy, especially when you have multiple models onscreen at a time.

The best thing about tessellation is that it provides dynamic level of detail. Aliens at a far-away distance can be kept low-detail, and then as they approach the player the tessellation will add detail as needed. There's no need to have massively high-poly models rendered at a distance, so performance is improved. Yes, it really is the same effect as "upping the poly count" but it is much better for performance. It's not like we haven't been able to render high-poly models before, it's just that their typically unwieldy, especially when you have multiple models onscreen at a time.

Alright, so the tessellation is the piece of the puzzle that actually is responsible for the scaling. I was aware of the process, but not the details. Cool.

Been waiting a long time for this game since the original. DX11 will not be a repeat of fail DX10.

I still routinely play AVP and AVP2 once a year or so. One of my all time favorite games. So I'm hugely stoked about this.

Back